Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Re: New defensive coordinator- Victor Santa Cruz

Post by Scott »

HONOLULU – Former University of Hawai‘i linebacker Victor Santa Cruz has been named as the Rainbow Warriors new defensive coordinator, head coach Todd Graham announced.

Santa Cruz has been a fixture at Asuza Pacific, where he spent 19 years, including the last 14 as head coach and is the school’s winningest coach with an overall record of 84-69. Since 2013, he led APU to four Great Northwest Athletic Conference championships and two NCAA Division II playoff appearances.

“Coach Victor Santa Cruz is one of the most respected men I know in college coaching,” Graham said. “The wealth of knowledge and integrity he brings to our program as a leader will have a huge impact. Fired up to welcome him to our Hawai‘i football family.”

Santa Cruz was a four-year letterman for the Rainbow Warriors from 1991-94, tallying 139 tackles (83 solo) during his career. After redshirting in 1990, he played in 46 games over the next four seasons. As a sophomore in 1992, he was a member of the Western Athletic Conference championship team that defeated Illinois in the Holiday Bowl, capping a then-program record 11-win season. In 2017, that team was inducted into the school’s Sports Circle of Honor.

A loyal alumnus, Santa Cruz helped to coordinate the Rainbow Warriors’ Pro Day from 2016-18 on the APU campus.

Over the last decade, Santa Cruz guided the program’s transition to Division II. The Cougars have eight winning seasons including back-to-back 10-win seasons and GNAC titles in 2013 and 2014. APU added two more conference titles in 2016 and 2018, along with NCAA playoff appearances both seasons.

Prior to moving to Division II, Santa Cruz was recognized as the NAIA Independent Coach of the Year in 2010 and 2011, the latter of which the Cougars finished ranked No. 5 nationally. He spent the first five seasons at APU as an assistant coach, joining the program as offensive coordinator from 2001-03 then moving to defensive coordinator for 2004-05 before being named the ninth head coach in 2006.

The Santa Cruz File

Hometown: Vista, Calif.
Alma Mater: BA, Hawai‘i (1995); MS, Azusa Pacific (2010)
Family: Wife Jamie and children Victor, Jr., Izabella, Levi

Coaching Experience

1996-2000: El Camino High School, Assistant Coach

2001-03: Azusa Pacific, Offensive Coordinator

2004-05: Azusa Pacific, Defensive Coordinator

2006-19: Azusa Pacific, Head Coach

Derek Inouchi
Director of Media Relations
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Athletics Department
1337 Lower Campus Rd. | Honolulu, HI 96822
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

Bleed_Green
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Bleed_Green »

Damn, I guess Batoon might be looking to leave then.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Will this expand So Cal recruiting? Maybe we will be looking for speed.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Wow. Good for him. He seems to have a good program at Azusa Pacific and sounds like he's applied for the HC job each time it was opened and with him not getting it again, it was probably a sign he would never get it even tho it seems to clearly be his dream job to come back. Could be the guy to take over if Graham leaves in a few years

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Congrats. I remember him playing but don't know much about his coaching philosophies.
ImageImage

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/HawaiiFootball/status/1221972963919978496 https://twitter.com/StephenTsai/status/1221976866854060032 https://twitter.com/CodyWKrupp/status/1222033949817540608
Last edited by kapakahi on Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

Welcome back coach!!

Per-SA
Santa Cruz can coach several defensive schemes. But he is best known for the double-eagle defense that UH ran successfully under Dick Tomey and Bob Wagner. When Tomey went to Arizona, that scheme — known as “Desert Swarm” — was one of the most successful in the country.

shoichikun808
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by shoichikun808 »

Will be interesting to see what Defense he uses. But it does sound to keep to that aggressive scheme that Graham enjoys

Bleed_Green

Post by Bleed_Green »

They'll have about 5 guys at the line of scrimmage 50% of the time.

Linebackers will flank 3 linemen in the middle.

The two LB at the ends will either pass rush or drop back to cover RB or Slots, or take on a fullbacks as first contact to slow them down or stop them outright.

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

I wonder if Batoon would stay as a position coach for the upcoming season then leave for another DC job? Are there any schools at this point looking for a DC?

shoichikun808
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by shoichikun808 »

Andre Allen is the WR coach at Wazzu, per Twitter. This also means nobody on the Offensive staff is coming back

That leaves Batoon as the only remaining holdover.
With VSC being hired and supposedly Graham reaching out to Timmy (he’s staying at Nevada) seems he’s at least trying to get a lot of staff that have local ties somehow.

Batoon could possibly be retained as ST coach. But not sure he would want that kind of “demotion”

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/vscwintoday/status/1222021812281696256

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Welcome back Victor.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

shoichikun808 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:13 pm Andre Allen is the WR coach at Wazzu, per Twitter. This also means nobody on the Offensive staff is coming back

That leaves Batoon as the only remaining holdover.
With VSC being hired and supposedly Graham reaching out to Timmy (he’s staying at Nevada) seems he’s at least trying to get a lot of staff that have local ties somehow.

Batoon could possibly be retained as ST coach. But not sure he would want that kind of “demotion”
Could have the position Banker had. Assistant Head Coach/inside linebackers.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: