*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Abe Elimimian has been retained

Post by shrek2 »

kapakahi wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:58 am
shrek2 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:57 am I really feel like Graham is a high energy guy that's looking for the same or will find people that are trainable. I don't know who on the staff has that kind of energy that's left. I love his intensity. Hope it translates to the field.
When he's on-the-field, Batoon is as intense a defensive coach as has ever coached at UH.....very detailed and all business....though maybe not a high-energy guy.

I think that intensity....is a more desirable trait for a defensive assistant coach.....not so much for an offensive coach. Also being high-energy....in and of itself....without substance....can be an overrated trait for an assistant.

In his first season as UH HC (back in 2012), Chow brought in some new "high-energy" assistants (DeMarest, Rauscher, Wiesehan) who screamed & yelled a lot at practices....often at players to purposely intimidate them.....thereby creating chaos....which obviously didn't work out (even for Chow)....since these same "high-energy" assistants all departed UH before Chow's 4th & last season (back in 2015). Meanwhile, no one would ever label former UH DL assistant coach Lewis Powell (under Chow) as being a high-energy guy....but he was one of Chow's best assistants and top recruiters for UH at that time.....now having just completed his 4th year as DL Coach for Utah Utes.
You probably have a better feel for the assistant coaches at UH than I do since you're on the sidelines more than I. I love seeing Robert Saleh, the DC for the 49ers, getting out of his mind when the 49ers make a stop and slapping hands and slapping pads. You're right about OCs being more subdued and talking to the players about X's and O's throughout the game. So, would you recommend all assistants be rehired? Why do you think Rolo left Batoon out of his gang of hires and took Mark Banker, Mark Weber and Riki Logo? I kind of liked Banker and Weber.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:01 am You probably have a better feel for the assistant coaches at UH than I do since you're on the sidelines more than I. I love seeing Robert Saleh, the DC for the 49ers, getting out of his mind when the 49ers make a stop and slapping hands and slapping pads. You're right about OCs being more subdued and talking to the players about X's and O's throughout the game. So, would you recommend all assistants be rehired? Why do you think Rolo left Batoon out of his gang of hires and took Mark Banker, Mark Weber and Riki Logo? I kind of liked Banker and Weber.
Just an educated guess that....Rolo probably didn't want to decimate the UH coaching staff.....but also realized that he was hired by Wazzu for running the RnS offense....similar to Leach's Air Raid offense....so needed to take most of the offensive coaches. Also another educated guess is that...the defensive coaches with local or UH ties (Yoro, Batoon, Abe) didnt' want to go to Wazzu either. Abe already spent a year as GA at Wazzu under Leach so had the information on what Wazzu is about.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Irse wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:44 am
They are down to 4 coaches, not all can be on the road recruiting. I'm sure the others are doing things necessary to keep the program afloat during the period we were looking for a new coach. It was just unfortunate that Rolo bolting happened so late after the season. Hope Graham hires the rest of his staff soon so Abe can get help with the recruiting. I don't see us filling up our remaining slots this recruiting period. I think he'll look for some transfers, maybe after spring practice so he sees what he likes and doesn't.
I wouldn't be surprise if we fill only half of the 9 or 10 remaining spots on NLI day (Feb. 5). I also wouldn't be surprised if we hold open some of those spots for after spring practice when the new coaches have a better idea of what we need. We'll have to complete the class with grad transfers, late qualifiers and under the radar type guys.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

kapakahi wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:53 am
shrek2 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:01 am You probably have a better feel for the assistant coaches at UH than I do since you're on the sidelines more than I. I love seeing Robert Saleh, the DC for the 49ers, getting out of his mind when the 49ers make a stop and slapping hands and slapping pads. You're right about OCs being more subdued and talking to the players about X's and O's throughout the game. So, would you recommend all assistants be rehired? Why do you think Rolo left Batoon out of his gang of hires and took Mark Banker, Mark Weber and Riki Logo? I kind of liked Banker and Weber.
Just an educated guess that....Rolo probably didn't want to decimate the UH coaching staff.....but also realized that he was hired by Wazzu for running the RnS offense....similar to Leach's Air Raid offense....so needed to take most of the offensive coaches. Also another educated guess is that...the defensive coaches with local or UH ties (Yoro, Batoon, Abe) didnt' want to go to Wazzu either. Abe already spent a year as GA at Wazzu under Leach so had the information on what Wazzu is about.
Totally forgot the Abe was a GA at Wazzu. He even got a masters degree from there. Yeah, maybe he didn't want to go back to Pullman.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

kapakahi wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:58 am
shrek2 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:57 am I really feel like Graham is a high energy guy that's looking for the same or will find people that are trainable. I don't know who on the staff has that kind of energy that's left. I love his intensity. Hope it translates to the field.
When he's on-the-field, Batoon is as intense a defensive coach as has ever coached at UH.....very detailed and all business....though maybe not a high-energy guy.

I think that intensity....is a more desirable trait for a defensive assistant coach.....not so much for an offensive coach. Also being high-energy....in and of itself....without substance....can be an overrated trait for an assistant.

In his first season as UH HC (back in 2012), Chow brought in some new "high-energy" assistants (DeMarest, Rauscher, Wiesehan) who screamed & yelled a lot at practices....often at players to purposely intimidate them.....thereby creating chaos....which obviously didn't work out (even for Chow)....since these same "high-energy" assistants all departed UH before Chow's 4th & last season (back in 2015). Meanwhile, no one would ever label former UH DL assistant coach Lewis Powell (under Chow) as being a high-energy guy....but he was one of Chow's best assistants and top recruiters for UH at that time.....now having just completed his 4th year as DL Coach for Utah Utes.
Those "high energy" assistants were down right abusive at times. Maybe they were trying to "toughen up" the team. Definitely they were also trying to "run off" guys who weren't totally "bought in" to the program and the new staff which they accomplished. Just some of the players they ran off included WR Trevor Davis (Cal, Green Bay, Oakland), OL Blake Muir (Baylor) and OL Ben Dew (Houston).

Agree Powell was not a "high energy" guy. But he may have been Chow's best assistant. He was intense, focused and the best recruiter. When he left, recruiting went down.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Love the insights and background, kapakahi and uhwarriors. Much appreciated. One of their immediate needs seem to be a strength and conditioning coach since its offseason and Dwaine Bradshaw appears to have made a big difference in the success of UH's play last year.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/CodyWKrupp/status/1221254465615007745

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

I always like Abe, he seems like such a humble and hard working guy. How could you go wrong hiring him?
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Hopefully Elimimian can be a rich man's version of George Lumpkin and be the constant for the program for the rest of his career

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

poidog wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:03 am Hopefully Elimimian can be a rich man's version of George Lumpkin and be the constant for the program for the rest of his career
Possible but not probable. It's very different times now days with HC turnover much more frequent. Eliminian is starting his 7th year and is now with his 3rd HC already (Chow, Rolovich & Graham). Lumpkin was at UH 35 years with 6 HCs (Holmes, Price, Tomey, Wagner, Jones & McMackin)