uhwarriors

Graham Interview on Bobby Curran Show

Post by uhwarriors »

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: Graham Interview on Bobby Curran Show

Post by cabanalane »

Of course, we are in the "dead period." With all these changes, I want time to speed up. I'm ready for the season to start already.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Thanks uhwarrior. Always have great posts. Keep us informed.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

I listened to the interview and clung to everyword TG had to say. He's philosophically inclined, where he emphasied having perspective, substance and genuineness. He's less into being funny, condescending and vain, and instead wants to being open to suggestions, learning and building in his coaching. I felt like, and I say this in a good way, that I was watching and listening to the Sherrif from Mayberry, Andy Griffith, speaking to his son Opie. For I see similarities. The drawl. The focus on bringing up his son (and team) the right way. The leadership. The fatherly figure. That's the effect TG has on me. With the type of aura TG carries, I can see his players heading into the off season with a lot of enthusiasm and optimism.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

Graham was also asked if the lack of resources (money) has an effect on attracting quality assistant coaches. At first he hesitated then he stated he be perfectly honest, and said yes it does. But he said he's commited in doing the best with what he has. I wish BC would have less talk of this isn't the HC first rodeo talk, and asked pertinent questions like how do UH's facilities compare to the other 5 schools he's coached at and what needs to be done. Phase 3 imo should be upgrading the facilities big time.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

sarvicdar wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:19 pm Graham was also asked if the lack of resources (money) has an effect on attracting quality assistant coaches. At first he hesitated then he stated he be perfectly honest, and said yes it does. But he said he's commited in doing the best with what he has. I wish BC would have less talk of this isn't the HC first rodeo talk, and asked pertinent questions like how do UH's facilities compare to the other 5 schools he's coached at and what needs to be done. Phase 3 imo should be upgrading the facilities big time.
My big red flag on him would have been him talking about what we don't have and what we need to improve on. Don't need a new coach starting off basically teh first interview by complaining about the things we don't have.
ImageImage

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Irse wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:51 am
sarvicdar wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:19 pm Graham was also asked if the lack of resources (money) has an effect on attracting quality assistant coaches. At first he hesitated then he stated he be perfectly honest, and said yes it does. But he said he's commited in doing the best with what he has. I wish BC would have less talk of this isn't the HC first rodeo talk, and asked pertinent questions like how do UH's facilities compare to the other 5 schools he's coached at and what needs to be done. Phase 3 imo should be upgrading the facilities big time.
My big red flag on him would have been him talking about what we don't have and what we need to improve on. Don't need a new coach starting off basically teh first interview by complaining about the things we don't have.
Red flag???? He was asked a direct question by Bobby. He didn't dodge the question. He didn't give us any BS. He answered the question honestly. If he didn't people and players would see through it. He also said that although it is an issue he believes he can over come some of those issues. One of the biggest assets is Graham himself. Like JJ je has connections and a strong network. His reputation as a coach and his style of teaching, mentoring and caring will attract good coaches. He's done it in the past, he knows how to do it, people trust him and that is the difference.

To me it's a big green flag. I know how I would have reacted if he said that the things we don't have is not an issue. Then he would be either a BSer or someone that doesn't know the reality of coaching in Hawaii. If you know what the issues are you can effectively deal with it.

Irse

Post by Irse »

TheDuke wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:59 am
Red flag???? He was asked a direct question by Bobby. He didn't dodge the question. He didn't give us any BS. He answered the question honestly. If he didn't people and players would see through it. He also said that although it is an issue he believes he can over come some of those issues. One of the biggest assets is Graham himself. Like JJ je has connections and a strong network. His reputation as a coach and his style of teaching, mentoring and caring will attract good coaches. He's done it in the past, he knows how to do it, people trust him and that is the difference.

To me it's a big green flag. I know how I would have reacted if he said that the things we don't have is not an issue. Then he would be either a BSer or someone that doesn't know the reality of coaching in Hawaii. If you know what the issues are you can effectively deal with it.
Booby should have never asked that question. Should talk about the transition of the team to a new head coach instead of comparing facilities right off the bat. Better facilities doesn't necessarily make a better team. Better coaching could overcome some of the lack of facilities.
ImageImage

Irse

Post by Irse »

Irse wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:15 am
TheDuke wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:59 am

Booby should have never asked that question. Should talk about the transition of the team to a new head coach instead of comparing facilities right off the bat. Better facilities doesn't necessarily make a better team. Better coaching could overcome some of the lack of facilities.
Just reread sarvicdar's post. He posted that he wished Booby would have asked him about facilities, I read it wrong, I thought he wrote he did ask about facilities. I'm glad he didn't ask about facilities. I'm more concerned about the transition.
ImageImage

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

I think we all know the answer about facilities.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:34 am I think we all know the answer about facilities.
At least should have soap and soap dispensers in the locker room showers by now. Anyone know for sure?
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:34 am I think we all know the answer about facilities.
Does facilities really matter? Or all we all fed this thinking? Of course it does. When I was at UH, nearly all the classrooms never had AC. And the bathroom in Sinclair library stinks, like really stinks. That did not affected my grades.

Players are the ones who play the game. I do think we need to held the players accountable too.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:08 am
Does facilities really matter? Or all we all fed this thinking? Of course it does. When I was at UH, nearly all the classrooms never had AC. And the bathroom in Sinclair library stinks, like really stinks. That did not affected my grades.

Players are the ones who play the game. I do think we need to held the players accountable too.
Does it matter? To put it short and simple......YES.

And judging by your grammar, I think your grades may have been affected. 😂😂😂 JK.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

EITSwarrior wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:38 am
cabanalane wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:08 am

Does it matter? To put it short and simple......YES.

And judging by your grammar, I think your grades may have been affected. 😂😂😂 JK.
Hey hey hey, that's one local boy writing like how he talks. Nuthin' wrong wit dat ya? \:D/
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

thanks for the link