Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Re: Cole McDonald declares for NFL Draft

Post by Irse »

BigWave96744 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:18 pm
TheDuke wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:18 pm
BigWave96744 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:58 pm Didn't mean for this thread to go off base but...
Muti has a 7th grade brother who is a 6'2" 7th grader who plays football and basketball. :D
I hope he is taking Algebra II. If he isn’t he won’t be recruited and will end up at another school.
I'm thinking you meant "I hope he is takes Algebra II." because if any 7th grader is taking Algebra II, they should consider going to MIT instead of playing football :wink:
:D
ImageImage

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Irse wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:35 am

I hope he is taking Algebra II. If he isn’t he won’t be recruited and will end up at another school.
I'm thinking you meant "I hope he takes Algebra II." because if any 7th grader is taking Algebra II, they should consider going to MIT instead of playing football :wink:

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Irse wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:35 am

I'm thinking you meant "I hope he is takes Algebra II." because if any 7th grader is taking Algebra II, they should consider going to MIT instead of playing football :wink:
Sorry. I didn't mean specifically in the 7th grade. I meant during HS. Without it we will not recruit him.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

As much as I get what you guys are saying, how is Algebra II going to help me at my job, or even football? We are loosing good players.

Algebra II is not that hard. This is college after all. They have tutors to help them, unlike the general student population.

I would think this standard is one way to weed out players that may not be coach-able, bad practice habits, or ethics, time management, discipline issues, etc, etc.

Many jobs require a college degree just because of that. It's not because college teaches you the skill set to do the job.

Imagine players given a playbook, and no can read.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

They have to take Algebra II in HS. This requirement was implemented by Mortimer. It did weed out players for sure. The local recruiting came to a screeching halt. Wagner had to walk away from many local recruits. The next year Wagner got fired. Many polys that came from Samoa and Tonga couldn't qualify. Kahuku players couldn't qualify. The HS coaches including Kahuku just said ok we will send our players to other schools who don't have that requirement and off they went. I remember one year JJ had 7 recruits from Kahuku. None of them made it to UH.

Irse

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:15 am As much as I get what you guys are saying, how is Algebra II going to help me at my job, or even football? We are loosing good players.

Algebra II is not that hard. This is college after all. They have tutors to help them, unlike the general student population.

I would think this standard is one way to weed out players that may not be coach-able, bad practice habits, or ethics, time management, discipline issues, etc, etc.

Many jobs require a college degree just because of that. It's not because college teaches you the skill set to do the job.

Imagine players given a playbook, and no can read.
There are a lot of courses that don't help with jobs. Wish they would have more courses on having to deal with everyday life things. Like how loans work and how to balance a check book.
ImageImage

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

TheDuke wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:14 am They have to take Algebra II in HS. This requirement was implemented by Mortimer. It did weed out players for sure. The local recruiting came to a screeching halt. Wagner had to walk away from many local recruits. The next year Wagner got fired. Many polys that came from Samoa and Tonga couldn't qualify. Kahuku players couldn't qualify. The HS coaches including Kahuku just said ok we will send our players to other schools who don't have that requirement and off they went. I remember one year JJ had 7 recruits from Kahuku. None of them made it to UH.
I'm not disagreeing with you from a football perspective. Maybe the question should be, what is Kahuku HS doing about educating their students? What is DOE doing about that?

Every country have different standards. My UH professor was Samoan, PhD. Dr. "Tusi." We should not make exception for Poly players.

If top recruits go to another school over UH, I'm ok with that. There has to be other players that are just as good, and can pass Algebra II.

We can discuss the idea of student athletes or maybe college players should be paid, etc. How about HS? SL is pretty entertaining school to watch.

I know this may offend someone, but when I was young, I know a few SL students that admit (to me) that they can not read. I suck at English because it's on me. DOE public school. But if their parents paid that kind of tuition $$$, what happened...

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

Cole's measurables are comparable to Joe Burrow's..... but with bigger hands & longer reach & wingspan.... https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/1231953402361516032 https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/1231937647746134018

Irse

Post by Irse »

Analysis of Cole

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/cole-mcdo ... f6078533c8
Overview
Next up from the pass-happy Hawaii offense with good size and impressive touchdown production over the last two seasons as a starter. While he can read defenses and throw with touch, he doesn't have the timing or ball placement to make up for his weak arm. He needs to work to a condensed field as a pro, but even then, jumpy cornerbacks could feast since he struggles to work with consistent anticipation to limit contested throws. He's a decent athlete, but it's not enough to offset his throwing deficiencies.
ImageImage

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:18 am
TheDuke wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:14 am They have to take Algebra II in HS. This requirement was implemented by Mortimer. It did weed out players for sure. The local recruiting came to a screeching halt. Wagner had to walk away from many local recruits. The next year Wagner got fired. Many polys that came from Samoa and Tonga couldn't qualify. Kahuku players couldn't qualify. The HS coaches including Kahuku just said ok we will send our players to other schools who don't have that requirement and off they went. I remember one year JJ had 7 recruits from Kahuku. None of them made it to UH.
I'm not disagreeing with you from a football perspective. Maybe the question should be, what is Kahuku HS doing about educating their students? What is DOE doing about that?

Every country have different standards. My UH professor was Samoan, PhD. Dr. "Tusi." We should not make exception for Poly players.

If top recruits go to another school over UH, I'm ok with that. There has to be other players that are just as good, and can pass Algebra II.

We can discuss the idea of student athletes or maybe college players should be paid, etc. How about HS? SL is pretty entertaining school to watch.

I know this may offend someone, but when I was young, I know a few SL students that admit (to me) that they can not read. I suck at English because it's on me. DOE public school. But if their parents paid that kind of tuition $$$, what happened...
Algebra II won't help you land a job. Depending what your education background is Algebra II is very hard. I don't make the admissions requirements Mortermer made it. Algebra II does teach problem solving and critical thinking. It doesn't apply to all jobs. As far as most HS go most coaches at the HS level are focused on getting players on the field and keeping them elegible to win games. They don't want a player to take Algebra II and fail disqualifying a player. Most (notice I am not saying all) will recommend the lightest curriculum that will keep a player eligible and meet graduation requirements. These players can still go on to colleges that have easier admissions standards (like Boise, SDSU, Fresno, USC and many others). It really comes down to the parents and what they want for their son's. UH is at a recruiting disadvantage.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:51 pm This caught my eye:
INTERIOR OFFENSIVE LINE
1. Netane Muti, Fresno State

Awesome for the boy from Wahiawa if this happens
https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/1232306027481178114

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

quarterbacks, wide outs and tight ends are up today in the nfl combine. hope cole does well.

Bleed_Green
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Bleed_Green »

CM currently has the top 40 time of all QB's at the combine. 4.54
https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1233207463077437446

Comparison:

Jerry Jeudi WR Ala: 4.46
CeeDee Lamb WR Okla: 4.51

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

Bleed_Green wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:56 pm CM currently has the top 40 time of all QB's at the combine. 4.54
🚀🚀🚀
also #1 in vertical jump

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performe ... osition=QB
http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performe ... osition=QB