Post game thoughts vs Boise state!!!

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post game thoughts vs Boise state!!!

Post by couz808 »

Offense really struggled to get points. Play calling, penalties didn’t help. Cole wasn’t on rhythm. I believe Chevan is still injured from the ankle which is why he wasn’t playing otherwise we would’ve seen a qb switch. There was no running game except during garbage time. Defense did all they could but with the offense not helping them, it was tough. Special teams did ok but rather have Lincoln take the fair catch if your in the end zone. Overall it was a good season and still have to be proud of the team. We’re still west division champs. Got one more game against BYU Hawaii bowl bound. Hope Chevan heals up.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Post game thoughts vs Boise state!!!

Post by EITSwarrior »

Play calling was bad. Not even a QB switch would’ve helped. Right now I don’t know what this offense is or what it wants to be. I think the coaches at this point or so indecisive with it that it’s hurting the chemistry and “rhythm” of the offense.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:05 pm Play calling was bad. Not even a QB switch would’ve helped. Right now I don’t know what this offense is or what it wants to be. I think the coaches at this point or so indecisive with it that it’s hurting the chemistry and “rhythm” of the offense.
I think the coaches did not prepare adequately for this game. So, the kids were not mentally prepared to play football for 4 quarters. 3 points in the first half and 7 points in the second half. We looked better offensively against Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. It looked like there were some holding by Boise of the Hawaii edge pass rushers but Boise's offense and the lack of Hawaii's offense demoralized the team. By the end of the third quarter, it was turn out the lights time and wait till next time.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:35 pm
EITSwarrior wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:05 pm Play calling was bad. Not even a QB switch would’ve helped. Right now I don’t know what this offense is or what it wants to be. I think the coaches at this point or so indecisive with it that it’s hurting the chemistry and “rhythm” of the offense.
I think the coaches did not prepare adequately for this game. So, the kids were not mentally prepared to play football for 4 quarters. 3 points in the first half and 7 points in the second half. We looked better offensively against Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. It looked like there were some holding by Boise of the Hawaii edge pass rushers but Boise's offense and the lack of Hawaii's offense demoralized the team. By the end of the third quarter, it was turn out the lights time and wait till next time.
I don’t think they’ve been prepared offensively these past few games really. They’ve skirted by with the defense playing better and honestly inferior opponents. The QB switch trick can work in the short term, but it can kill you long term. Kudos to Cole and Chevan for keeping it together for this long cause it would’ve blown up earlier if it were less strong willed QBs.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Spiked the ball on celebrating the OL's 2019 success onnnne game too soon. They were destroyed today.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

I think the good coaches of the MWC have figured out the UH offense and its not hard to defense if there's a pass rush. Holani had bigger holes than Myles Reed did. Most teams including the NFL have an RPO but its harder to figure out. Maybe because its blocking schemes. Lots of offsides and holding on the offense. BYU is going to be a lot tougher than Boise.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

shrek2 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:08 pm I think the good coaches of the MWC have figured out the UH offense and its not hard to defense if there's a pass rush. Holani had bigger holes than Myles Reed did. Most teams including the NFL have an RPO but its harder to figure out. Maybe because its blocking schemes. Lots of offsides and holding on the offense. BYU is going to be a lot tougher than Boise.
Almost all offenses are not to hard to defend if there is a pass rush.
ImageImage

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

O still coming along...don't agree with Smith cslling plays as I think Rolo is more cerebral....D sucks...flat out...can't cover , tackle is space....surprise Batoon didn't blitz more...BS QB was hanging out in pocket. yet he's not a pocket guys ...lol
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

yes that's how it feels to me as well, the offense somewhere forgot who they were like they had amnesia and went soul searching, they have been hot and cold, mostly cold since the QB carousel started.

I will say this, I was too quick to judge Batoon as the last 3 or 4 weeks his defense has improved a lot what I failed to realize halfway through was all the injuries we had and how the personal had to be shifted around and some players had to play out of position, but he was able to get these guys to believe in what they were doing and thus the D started to play well, and the D played a heck of a game today. No they are not perfect but the improvement was there and they kept in the game for the most part.

Still got to be proud of what this team has accomplished this year and we still have a bowl game to win. Go Bows!!
Last edited by ulua on Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

The game should have been 6-3 at the half. Love how the tv guys show Brian Smith and point out that he's calling the plays and then he calls that bonehead long pass on 2nd and 1. That was the game right there. Everything after that is indicative of falling in the quicksand, which is very easy to do on Boise's home field. You gotta play mistake-free to win there.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

After taking 3 points off the scoreboard, it all went down hill. 3 trips to the redzone, 3 points. Winnable game oh well hope the heck they don't go to the Las Vegas Bowl. Who the heck cares about cheering for BYU or UCF

ulua
All-American
All-American
MLB: Marlins
NFL: Panthers

Post by ulua »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:48 pm After taking 3 points off the scoreboard, it all went down hill. 3 trips to the redzone, 3 points. Winnable game oh well hope the heck they don't go to the Las Vegas Bowl. Who the heck cares about cheering for BYU or UCF
This was my feeling as well, why take points off the board? now you get stuffed and this doesn't give BSU a small momentum shift it gave BSU a big momentum shift and all hell broke loose after that.

To me Rolo gambles way to much and puts his team in bad situations he like Cole sometimes just needs to take what is given and not force stuff. Trying to do too much at once sometimes just puts the pressure on the guys and then they start falling apart.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

I dunno why so negative. At least we've gone from getting blown out to Boise, to being back to where it's we could have won but just missed our chances. It sucks they lost, but we had our chances. Just had to execute

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Neighbor wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:40 pm I dunno why so negative. At least we've gone from getting blown out to Boise, to being back to where it's we could have won but just missed our chances. It sucks they lost, but we had our chances. Just had to execute
Not negative. The difference between us and Boise is coaching and mistakes. The D played well. Statistically not too much difference. More frustration then anything else. You don't drive down to the two , kick a field goal and take the points of the board. Very demoralizing. The affect on a team can be game changing. Momentum shifted. The game could have been 10 to 6 at the half and us taking the 2bd half kickoff. Coaches haven't figured out how to beat teams with better athletes. Switching QBs wouldn't have made a difference. Simple Boise game plan. Man coverage on receivers we are faster and stronger. Spy the QB. If he runs hit him hard. Take him out if you can. If Furuta is in pass. (shovel to Furuta is not going to beat Boise).He is too slow to beat us. Don't worry about passes to the RBs. Keep passing windows small, no separation. Too much pressure on Cole to make something happen by throwing into tight coverage. When they make a catch no YAC hit them hard. We are bigger. They will hear foot steps. There will be drops.

Hawaii will press. The coaches will press. HC has a gunslinger attitude and that doesn't work when you play very good teams. They will make mistakes. That's their MO. We made mistakes and we lost to a more athletic team with better coaching. That's been the case all season.

I hope coaches learn and move on. The next step is for coaches to get more creative with schemes. Take the pressure off of our QB when receivers can't get separation. Our receivers are good but not good enough. We need quick receivers. Slots at 5-10 to 6 (ala Salas) 185 -200 lbs. Wide outs at 6 to 6'5 200 - 220 lbs. We need a passing game to the RBs. If their are no one to block (3 man rush) release into the flat force a DE or LB to cover you.

Not negative. This team has exceeded my expectations for 2019.

C'mon Rolo let's beat BYU.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

Hawaii was out matched on the road 2 times at Boise. The talent level Boise is recruiting is just a bit higher than what Rolo has recruited this season. Hawaii coaching did a good job and the players had some mental errors and jitters with execution and penalties.

I didn’t think Hawaii would do very well at Boise, so maybe my expectations were already low. Now if this game was played in Las Vegas or Honolulu… I probably would have had higher expectations.

But this season the Warrior Football Team exceeded my expectations… now they need to lick their wounds and regroup for the upcoming bowl game. Hawaii Football doesn’t need a Bowl game blowout like last season against Louisiana Tech !!!!