Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Chevan NEEDS TO START!!!!

Post by EITSwarrior »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:56 am
EITSwarrior wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:47 pm
BigWave96744 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:39 pm I think Chevan proved many wrong, including some in the media who said Cole is the best QB in the MWC and us far ahead of Chevan
I would calm down on that talk. There was very little game tape on a Chevan for opposing defenses to study. Yeah he played great tonight, but it’s still San Jose State. We’ll see how he does now that there’s some tape of him and he has to play with expectations.
You refer to San Jose State like they are stuck in a time continuum and need to be bad each year. SJS has evolved and improved into becoming a good team beating good teams this year, with an accurate passing QB, speedy receivers and a decent running game. They played better against Boise than we did.

Our defense has been decimated from injuries this season and the Coaches need to recruit defensive depth and speed next year, we can all see that. No need to keep bashing on the defense. To win the rest of the season, we need to offensively score more than our opponents.

At QB, Chevan again proved last night that he is capable of winning for this team. He made consistently good decisions as a game manager, took what the defense gave him, his elusiveness in the pocket kept the play alive and his consistency and accuracy moved the chains and we scored consistently on offensive possessions. He understands the Run and Shoot and knows when to take off and use his dual threat running abilities to get the first down.

It has nothing to do with being local and growing up in Hawaii, but playing the best QB that will allow the team to win games.

Having QB depth is a good thing, it's not a bad problem to have. Chevan has come in when Cole was struggling or hurt and won games for the team. He finally got his chance to start and helped the team win against a good football team.

I'm happy for Chevan. You go Chevan, kick some okole for the home team!
Apparently you’re not paying attention and seeing and hearing all the comments calling for Chevan even when Cole was winning and doing good.

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

Chevan won us the game and people are still bashing on the coach for starting him. I understand that the defense has been horrible but you have to look last week against Fresno, Cole threw some balls that were off. He also was indecisive on when to run or when to pass. The drives stalled from 3rd quarter on. He was also off against Air Force as well. Yes they have film on Cole but not on Chevan. So your saying if we start uahinui next week then the opposing defense will get torched because they don’t have film on him. Rolo knows what he’s doing. He thinks Chevan is the qb that can win us the game. I understand that Cole has been putting up numbers but numbers sometimes don’t win us games if you make a crucial mistake or a drive is stalled. Remember when Jason wheildon came in for Timmy Chang and we defeated Alabama in 2003? Timmy was putting up gaudy numbers too so did he deserve to get bench? I actually prefer to win games then qbs putting up gaudy numbers. Sorry this is not pop Warner where every kid deserves to play. This is division 1 football. I guess nick Saban is a horrible coach for benching jalen hurts and putting tua as a starter.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

couz808 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:13 am Chevan won us the game and people are still bashing on the coach for starting him. I understand that the defense has been horrible but you have to look last week against Fresno, Cole threw some balls that were off. He also was indecisive on when to run or when to pass. The drives stalled from 3rd quarter on. He was also off against Air Force as well. Yes they have film on Cole but not on Chevan. So your saying if we start uahinui next week then the opposing defense will get torched because they don’t have film on him. Rolo knows what he’s doing. He thinks Chevan is the qb that can win us the game. I understand that Cole has been putting up numbers but numbers sometimes don’t win us games if you make a crucial mistake or a drive is stalled. Remember when Jason wheildon came in for Timmy Chang and we defeated Alabama in 2003? Timmy was putting up gaudy numbers too so did he deserve to get bench? I actually prefer to win games then qbs putting up gaudy numbers. Sorry this is not pop Warner where every kid deserves to play. This is division 1 football. I guess nick Saban is a horrible coach for benching jalen hurts and putting tua as a starter.
No one is bashing Rolo for starting Chevan.

Egonator
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: Brewers/Rays
NBA: Jazz/Timberwolves
NFL: Vikings/Bills

Post by Egonator »

I don’t hear anybody bashing the coach when Chevan starts but Cole can put up 450 yds 5 TD 0 INT and the W and people would still call for Chevan. I’m not hating on Chevan but I wish when Cole was out there he would receive the same Aloha as Chevan.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Egonator wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:11 pm I don’t hear anybody bashing the coach when Chevan starts but Cole can put up 450 yds 5 TD 0 INT and the W and people would still call for Chevan. I’m not hating on Chevan but I wish when Cole was out there he would receive the same Aloha as Chevan.
Right

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

There's only one full game of Chevan and lots of games to look at for Cole. Cole can make the throws downfield as well as short out passes on the out pattern that are a lot farther than the yardage gained because its going to the sidelines. The defensive alignment for Cole is to split the DE's out wide because he can take the ball to the house if he gets outside. SJSU defense was as porous as UH's defense. Chevan looks like he can adlib and move around in the pocket and take the ball up the middle or around the end if nobody is open. But, how would Chevan have performed if he started against BSU or FSU? Would the defenses have closed on Chevan like they did on Cole? There were a few passes thrown high by Chevan last night that were relatively short passes but it could have been that the receivers were coming in when Chevan expect to go deeper in the pattern. The running by Cole all looks like they're designed where some of the runs by Chevan look like there were no receivers open. Given that Chevan won the UNLV game last year and he came in against OSU earlier this year, he deserves a chance to play against SDSU if he does well against UNLV.

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:12 am
Apparently you’re not paying attention and seeing and hearing all the comments calling for Chevan even when Cole was winning and doing good.
Maybe it's you who's not paying attention. I'm seeing and hearing all the comments just fine.

It's simple, let the QB who gives the team the best chance of winning play.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

poidog wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:48 am Smith called a much better game tonight and that was a big reason the offense did so much better. With that said, Chevan makes safer plays, keeps the chains moving, goes through his progressions quickly, and is a bit more accurate. It remains to be seen if he can repeat this performance, but this offense needed a dose of consistency and that's what he brought to the table.
+1. We need to see him against a better defense. SJSU is like us when it comes to defense. Offense did seem to run better with Chevan. I liked the way he ran the RPO. I always thought he ran the speed option better than Cole. The offense seemed balanced which I really enjoyed watching. I hope Rolo starts him again. I feel right now that it is his job to lose. I saw nothing last night that makes me think that he shouldn’t be starting.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:31 pm
EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:12 am
Maybe it's you who's not paying attention. I'm seeing and hearing all the comments just fine.

It's simple, let the QB who gives the team the best chance of winning play.
So you’re looking up comments on Facebook and Star Advertiser Warrior Beat and listening to radio shows?

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Shoot, I wish we had a back-up for Moniz his last year. In this case, we were lucky to have a capable back-up. I still like Cole but something went wrong.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

Rolo, IMO, made the right call. Chevan makes better decisions and played within the system.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

EITSwarrior wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:41 am
couz808 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:13 am Chevan won us the game and people are still bashing on the coach for starting him. I understand that the defense has been horrible but you have to look last week against Fresno, Cole threw some balls that were off. He also was indecisive on when to run or when to pass. The drives stalled from 3rd quarter on. He was also off against Air Force as well. Yes they have film on Cole but not on Chevan. So your saying if we start uahinui next week then the opposing defense will get torched because they don’t have film on him. Rolo knows what he’s doing. He thinks Chevan is the qb that can win us the game. I understand that Cole has been putting up numbers but numbers sometimes don’t win us games if you make a crucial mistake or a drive is stalled. Remember when Jason wheildon came in for Timmy Chang and we defeated Alabama in 2003? Timmy was putting up gaudy numbers too so did he deserve to get bench? I actually prefer to win games then qbs putting up gaudy numbers. Sorry this is not pop Warner where every kid deserves to play. This is division 1 football. I guess nick Saban is a horrible coach for benching jalen hurts and putting tua as a starter.
No one is bashing Rolo for starting Chevan.
I wouldn't say no one. Maybe not many. From the post game thread
vailima wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:05 am
poidog wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:00 am
vailima wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:20 am Students suck a$$, no support. Student section empty. Glad Chevan had a good outing, but Fresno and AF losses are on the coaches not Cole. If Cole is going to be treated like this, hope he finds a good school that will appreciate his talents. I think Rolo is the right coach for Hawaii, but lately, he’s been giving games away.
I think it is fine if you think Cole should be the starter, but you are making it like it is a no-brainer that he should be starting over chevan. Cole has been inconsist and his throws against Fresno were very erratic. It is not a no-brainer.

Cole and the offense did enough to be in the game, I just think it’s a dicc move to bench a very good QB because you’re being outschemed and outcoached.
ImageImage

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Glad Chevan started and did well. I really don't care who starts as long as we win. More concerned about our D than who starts at QB.
ImageImage

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

The game broadcast was sickening. All they talked about was Chevan the entire game. There are other players on this team. Chevan did this Chevan did that. Was there any discussion about defensive schemes by either Hawaii or SJSU. Any talk about the great catch that Ward tracked down and made. If a good throw was made it would have been am easy catch for a TD. They called it an easy catch by Ward. It was by no means an easy catch. Did they talk about who wasn't. There was a lot to talk about during the game. Chevan had a good game. With the Defensive scheme that SJSU used the R&S shined. Talk about the game.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

TheDuke wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:31 am The game broadcast was sickening. All they talked about was Chevan the entire game. There are other players on this team. Chevan did this Chevan did that. Was there any discussion about defensive schemes by either Hawaii or SJSU. Any talk about the great catch that Ward tracked down and made. If a good throw was made it would have been am easy catch for a TD. They called it an easy catch by Ward. It was by no means an easy catch. Did they talk about who wasn't. There was a lot to talk about during the game. Chevan had a good game. With the Defensive scheme that SJSU used the R&S shined. Talk about the game.
Yup.

Boise State's Chase Cord came in for relief against Hawaii after the Warriors hurt Bachmeier. Cord was tremendous. Since then, every time Cord has played he's struggled. Team's watched tape, and adjusted. Chevan was excellent, but there was a tad too much crowning on the broadcast for my liking too. Let's see how Chevan plays against the remaining opponents, all who have now seen how the game is called when Chevan is the starter, before we dub him Brennan 2.0.