Receivers

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
UHALLDAWAY808
All-conference
All-conference

Receivers

Post by UHALLDAWAY808 »

I really like our receivers..Kinda taking me back to the 2005 season when Bess and RGM were newcomers..Smart reminds me of a Rodney Bradley type player and is really good and getting YAC..We need to utilize him more.. Philips looks good but dropped a couple easy passes..Byrd and Ward are gonna have a good season..But I'm surprised we didn't see Stovall who had alot of hype coming into the season...Sharsh is cool but seen him running a few wrong routes..I think our future looks really bright with these guys

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Re: Receivers

Post by shrek2 »

Looks like Ward and Byrd are the go to guys. Yeah, kinda was thinking about Stovall being the Ursua replacement but no stats in the first game. I would say that Stovall is a throwback to Owens with sure hands and the ability to run back kickoffs and punts. Got a nice gain on a kickoff.

wayoutwest
Play Maker
Play Maker
MLB: Orioles

Post by wayoutwest »

How do you get that Ward is a go-to guy if he had half the receptions of Sharsh and two less than Smart? I thought they spread it around to the other receivers pretty well. Smart is an upgrade over Armstrong-Brown. Once Stovall learns the offense, Cole will have four deadly threats to work with.

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

Ward has the advantage of knowing the playbook and caught a TD. The other guys will progress and whoever does it quicker will have more opportunities.

Remember Victor has looked very good at practice as well and the 6'3 Elsey is really good at jumpballs and shielding the defender. Having many WRs options is a great spot given UH is back in the RnS.

I want to see Stovall at RB since he was a helluva good RB in HS. He's the perfect shovel pass guy, reverse guy and wildcat type.
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Tremendous showing, but I'll wait before hyping them too much. Arizona ranked 120th in pass defense in 2018. We should hammer them and did. Oregon State won't be much better. Starting with Washington, UH will begin to see better secondaries...and defenses in general.

Markazulu
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Markazulu »

Im curious to see how people handle the 5 wide look.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Byrd already got the attention of the opposing coach and media but I saw Ward's catch last year where he ran the end line of the end zone to stay in and make an amazing catch. I think Ward has NFL potential. He has the ability to run the end lines and not lose his balance. I saw Sharsh fall several times during the highlights. I think Jared Smart is a good teammate. Knew the kid when he played tee-ball.

chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by chawan_cut »

we fast!!!
Go Warriors! Go Na Wahine!

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I like to think UH hopefully should be able to sign "taller" receivers in the future. If there is a hailmary pass, height will win.

You guys recall Unga. Wasn't he like 6-6 or 6-5? Yes, I know UH don't use TE in the R&S, but there were passes only he could catch just because of his height. There were times he make D. Brown look good.

Waryor
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Waryor »

AZ should have been jamming our receivers at the line. They were laying off the receivers wanting to keep them in front, so not to give up the long TD passes. I think this was bad strategy. Last year teams had better success when they played our receivers tight

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:59 am I like to think UH hopefully should be able to sign "taller" receivers in the future. If there is a hailmary pass, height will win.

You guys recall Unga. Wasn't he like 6-6 or 6-5? Yes, I know UH don't use TE in the R&S, but there were passes only he could catch just because of his height. There were times he make D. Brown look good.
I like Jojo type players who can stretch the field and open up the inside for our slots who are our primary receivers in the offense we are running. If we can go vertical it also opens up our run game. We stretch their defense with our speed. The more speed we got the better.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Waryor wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:03 am AZ should have been jamming our receivers at the line. They were laying off the receivers wanting to keep them in front, so not to give up the long TD passes. I think this was bad strategy. Last year teams had better success when they played our receivers tight
I think they underestimated our speed. Their coach said something about how we were able to run past their dbs in coverage one on one. Probably why they dropped back 8 so often.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:10 am Ward has the advantage of knowing the playbook and caught a TD. The other guys will progress and whoever does it quicker will have more opportunities.

Remember Victor has looked very good at practice as well and the 6'3 Elsey is really good at jumpballs and shielding the defender. Having many WRs options is a great spot given UH is back in the RnS.

I want to see Stovall at RB since he was a helluva good RB in HS. He's the perfect shovel pass guy, reverse guy and wildcat type.
I agree. I wish I could see more of Stovall too.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

JoJo has speed and can run by people, like his touchdown grab. He is a playmaker. Who made the plays against Wyoming and Las Vegas?

Stovall needs to be on the field. We haven't had someone like him returning in a long time. The guy has speed and vision. He can see and pick the right seams on KO returns. And he has some size and can shake of tacklers. I'd like to see him catching a pass with some space.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

TheDuke wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:59 pm JoJo has speed and can run by people, like his touchdown grab. He is a playmaker. Who made the plays against Wyoming and Las Vegas?

Stovall needs to be on the field. We haven't had someone like him returning in a long time. The guy has speed and vision. He can see and pick the right seams on KO returns. And he has some size and can shake of tacklers. I'd like to see him catching a pass with some space.
I like how he ran the ball with power. That kinda opened my eyes. I thought rac.