2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:35 am
unpaid wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:33 am Week Sixteen,

1.St.Louis 10-0 DNP. No.4 Mililani next.
2.Punahou 10-2 SO.
3.Kahuku 8-3 DNP. No.6 Campbell next.
4.Mililani 8-4. Open semi next vs St.Louis.
5.Hilo 12-0 DNP.No.7 Leilehua next.
6.Campbell 6-5 DNP. Open semi next vs Kahuku.
7.Leilehua 10-2 Beat Baldwin in the D-I opening round.Hilo next.Hold at seven.
8.Iolani 8-2 DNP. No.9 Moanalua next.
9.Moanalua 10-1 DNP. D-I semi next vs.Iolani.
10.Damien 8-2 SO.

I think Roosevelt should be able to defeat Kamehameha-Hawaii in the D-II opening round contest tonight.D-I has the most evenly matched field as I see it.My guess is the winner of Hilo-Leilehua wins the Koa. St.Louis should cruise to the Open title unless Mililani or Kahuku can summon a Punahou-like effort and game plan against the Crusaders.
I know the Moanalua vs Iolani winner goes to the finals but is that really an advantage? Playing 1 less game vs playing 1 very tough game. Baldwin is not good and did not put Leilehua in any danger. Is Hilo a tougher opponent than Moanalua or Iolani? Not sure.
@genks: Right now I'm really annoyed by successes that Iolani School's girls' basketball teams (Vars and JV) have been having lately in pre-season games, as I don't care for Iolani School. So, I'd really like to see their football team lose. I think Hilo High might win it all; I think they're the best on offense, defense, and special teams. So, yes, I think Hilo can beat Moanalua and Iolani. If, as you say, the Moanalua v Iolani winner goes to the finals, I hope it's Moanalua. I'm not exactly fond of Moanalua High, but I definitely would rather have them than Iolani School.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:56 pm I don’t watch Hilo at all unless they make it here for the finals. Do you guys think Hilo is good this year? I really have no idea.

My thought was, Leilehua didn’t seem in danger against Baldwin, just felt like that to me. If I’m correct, Baldwin only scored on a kick return, zero on offense. If Hilo happens to not be that good this year, then Leilehua beating both Baldwin and Hilo might actually be the easier path than playing either Iolani or Moanaluain 2019 even if they only need 1 win to get to the finals. If you guys have thoughts for conversations sake, go ahead. If not, no biggie. This isn’t some life changing debate or anything serious.
@genks: Again, I think Hilo will take the title. For me, it's any school except Iolani, please.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Regarding Hilo, do a lot of starters play both ways for them? I ask because they remind me of the 2005 Baldwin team, which received the #2 seed over us in the state tournament that year.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:15 pm Regarding Hilo, do a lot of starters play both ways for them? I ask because they remind me of the 2005 Baldwin team, which received the #2 seed over us in the state tournament that year.
@gopunahou: Not that I know of. But even if they are, it doesn't seem to be hurting them. By the way, I found out that Moanalua plays Iolani Saturday. GO MENES! End the Raiders' season, please. I sure hope the Raiders' girls' basketball team won't take D1 States again.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:10 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:15 pm Regarding Hilo, do a lot of starters play both ways for them? I ask because they remind me of the 2005 Baldwin team, which received the #2 seed over us in the state tournament that year.
@gopunahou: Not that I know of. But even if they are, it doesn't seem to be hurting them. By the way, I found out that Moanalua plays Iolani Saturday. GO MENES! End the Raiders' season, please. I sure hope the Raiders' girls' basketball team won't take D1 States again.
That's one of the few things we agree on.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:07 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:10 pm
That's one of the few things we agree on.
@gopunahou: Well, don't forget that we both don't care for Trump. Anyway, if Moanalua does beat Iolani, I don't know if it will end their season, or if they'll keep playing in a consolation bracket. What it will do is prevent them from winning the D1 championship, and that's good enough for me. I mean, when you dislike a school, you take what you can get. Something is better than nothing.

#1Kahuku
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by #1Kahuku »

Good dat u no like St Lulu an Iolani. Eef sumbuddy hope dat dey start one dynasty, dey deserve one false crack 4 dey opinionz.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I think Hilo and Leilehua are pretty evenly matched,but the Vikings seem to have a slight edge.a few things popped out to me looking over stats from the regular season. Hilo was around 700 to 800 yards more productive in the passing game than the Mules were.Both teams have several reliable receivers although Hilo might have one more than Leilehua does. Both squads have a running game to keep you honest. Vereen has over 700 yards since being called up during the season. Hilo has four backs who are in the 300 to 500 yard range and all are averaging over 4 or 5 yards a carry. Seeing that makes me think Hilo has a pretty good OL. They'll need it because Leilehua is big and physical on defense,and will be trying to bring heat to Aquiar. Hilo should win,but It wouldn't surprise me if Leilehua wins either.

I believe Kahuku should beat Campbell.Kahuku has been playing their best football of the year the last few games.The defense is more than capable of shutting down Campbell's passing attack and stuffing the run.The Red Raiders have seemingly rededicated themselves to smothering defense,great special teams,and a punishing ground attack.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

#1Kahuku wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:36 pm Good dat u no like St Lulu an Iolani. Eef sumbuddy hope dat dey start one dynasty, dey deserve one false crack 4 dey opinionz.
@#1Kahuku: Well, actually I dislike St Louis School only because of football; other than that, I'm actually OK with them. But Iolani School, yes, I do dislike that school in general.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

So thoughts on StL..Mili game? It's not like Agbayani had a bad first game. Actually at this point, it's hard to defense against a running team like Kahuku, then face a passing game like StL. But Mil did okay by keeping Punahou to no offensive td, for that matter even Kahuku. To say your defense held the #2 & #3 in the State to no TDs,back to back is credible. I do remember StL. poured it on in the second half so adjustments were made that Mililani could not counter. As for Kahuku Campbell game, Johnson going to have to coach the perfect game. Do like Mililani who had 9 players in the box. Of course Campbell doesn't have the defensive studs as Mil, but put some beef in. If Titus is going to come up to make tackles, then plan B. Plug all gaps. Let Kahuku try to score TDS by passing. Then get back the score by a passing TD. Save the studs like Titus to play offense only. Again johnson, Stuff the box.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:16 pm So thoughts on StL..Mili game? It's not like Agbayani had a bad first game. Actually at this point, it's hard to defense against a running team like Kahuku, then face a passing game like StL. But Mil did okay by keeping Punahou to no offensive td, for that matter even Kahuku. To say your defense held the #2 & #3 in the State to no TDs,back to back is credible. I do remember StL. poured it on in the second half so adjustments were made that Mililani could not counter. As for Kahuku Campbell game, Johnson going to have to coach the perfect game. Do like Mililani who had 9 players in the box. Of course Campbell doesn't have the defensive studs as Mil, but put some beef in. If Titus is going to come up to make tackles, then plan B. Plug all gaps. Let Kahuku try to score TDS by passing. Then get back the score by a passing TD. Save the studs like Titus to play offense only. Again johnson, Stuff the box.
@Markeke: Well, I give Mililani a lot of credit; I think their D is the real deal. I mean, when they lost to Punahou by only 3-0, that was outstanding. Having said that, I'm not sure Mililani is able to stay with St Louis physically; St Louis' pass-game is just too much. If Mililani had a bigger D-line and better DBs, OK. As it stands now, I think St Louis will pass them silly.

As for Kahuku and Campbell, I don't think Campbell can stay with Kahuku physically. I see Kahuku's O-line and blocking-backs wearing-down Campbell's defensive front-seven, especially if Campbell has players going both ways.

Anyone have thoughts on the D1 Moanalua v Iolani game? I want Moanalua to win. I think Moanalua's D needs to use its superior size and strength to overpower Iolani's O-line and make QB Chong run for his life.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Moanalua and Iolani played once before, with the Menes taking a huge lead and then almost blowing it before kicking game-winning FG.

If Campbell does stack the box with 9, the smart thing for Kahuku to do is use the offensive strategy they used against us in 2011 and 2012.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:55 pm Moanalua and Iolani played once before, with the Menes taking a huge lead and then almost blowing it before kicking game-winning FG.

If Campbell does stack the box with 9, the smart thing for Kahuku to do is use the offensive strategy they used against us in 2011 and 2012.
@gopunahou: Sorry, I was editing my previous post when you posted. Yeah, I remember that first Moanalua v Iolani game; what a cliffhanger. I hope Moanalua's D learned a lesson: Don't let Iolani's pass-game allow them to catch-up. That's assuming Moanalua can jump way-out in front again. Moanalua seems to be primarily a pass-oriented school, which might be a good thing against Iolani. Iolani has some pretty good LBs; you'd think it would be easier to pass than to run. I think Moanalua's O-lineman need to clean-out Iolani's LBs, as those O-linemen certainly have a size advantage. Perhaps if Moanalua's OC had the O-linemen pull more? I'd like to see them clean-out Iolani's LBs from the side. But then I guess Moanalua QB Javar would have to roll-out and throw, rather than dropping back and throwing. Another concern is that Javar has been picked-off 9 times; he's got to clean that up.
As for Campbell, they can stack the box if they want, but I don't think they can stop Kahuku's run-game. I think only Punahou could stack the box and hope to stop Kahuku; Punahou's defensive front-seven was big and physical enough.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Well with Moanalua, they play Iolani @Moanalua. The Mene fans will have to come out if force and loud. Eselu will have to remind himself of last year's upset loss to Castle. Both teams should be healed. Hope Javar stays healthy.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

St.Louis-Mililani,

Going with St.Louis for the win here.The Crusaders are stocked with around 3 times as many 3-4 stars as Mililani.That's a trait the Trojans share with Punahou and Kahuku.Kahuku lost to the Crusaders 28-0 in a contest that was ended due to weather after one half. Mililani lost to St. Louis by around two TD's. Punahou managed to take talent levels similar to Kahuku and Mililani and stay within six the first time and seven the second time they played St.Louis. How did Punahou turn that trick? My guess is that Punahou's coaching staff had a better game plan that the players bought into and were able to execute. Mililani and Kahuku did not put up enough fight against the Crusaders in their first meetings to get near 3 possesions to win. So,I 'm not sure that Mililani is going to close the gap on St.Louis this week,or that Kahuku can do it next week.(assuming they beat Campbell this week.)