2019 High School Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2019 High School Football

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:12 pm
gopunahou wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:57 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:29 pm

@gopunahou: No, I don't think Kamehameha was running the run-and-shoot. If I'm not mistaken, the run-and-shoot was still under development at Kaiser, where Ron Lee was coaching. (Not sure if he was HC; he might have been as AC.) Of course, Lee didn't invent the run-and-shoot; I think he picked it up from a mainland college team. But, he was installing it at Kaiser. Gaison was Kamehameha QB in '74 and '75. Chai was HC, and I think he was running the I-formation.
When Blane Gaison was COACH. He coached them between 1989 and 1995.
@gopunahou: Oh, that's right, I forgot; he WAS coach. At my age, I think of him as playing for them. I was in high school about when he was playing. But even as a coach, did he run the run-and-shoot? Hard to imagine, when he had those big O-lines and good RBs.
Yeah, early 90s (between ‘90 and ‘92). KSK QBs had a lot of games of over 100 yds passing during that period.

The interesting is, there was a small period when we were a run-first team and sometimes never threw the ball at all (1999-2001). We ran the Wing-T. Of course, our best seasons occurred when we emphasized the passing game.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

HS Football Fanatic,

Onosai Tanuvasa was at Farrington when I was an underclassman at Radford. Tanuvasa was a running back. He was the first ILH player to total 1,000+ rushing yards in a single season. That was in 1969,and the last year the five Honolulu public schools were in the ILH. Player dimensions,on average,were smaller then. Tanuvasa played at 195 lbs and was bigger than most of his linemen at Farrington.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Another Samoan QB from the 60''s was Ron Autele of McKinley. Might have been Back of the Year. McKinley had super teams. This was prior to recruit raids at Palama Settlement and Mayor Wrights housing. As I remember Onosai Taunavasa played only fullback (old T formation) the QB was Bucky Mattson. Onosai highlights included many hurdling over tacklers on kickoff returns. Unpaid, Radford? I remember Darryl Nakoa, Tama Isaia, the Paikais.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:54 am HS Football Fanatic,

Onosai Tanuvasa was at Farrington when I was an underclassman at Radford. Tanuvasa was a running back. He was the first ILH player to total 1,000+ rushing yards in a single season. That was in 1969,and the last year the five Honolulu public schools were in the ILH. Player dimensions,on average,were smaller then. Tanuvasa played at 195 lbs and was bigger than most of his linemen at Farrington.
@unpaid: Yeah, I remember seeing a photo of him in the sports page of one of the dailies (there were two back then), back in '69 or '70. I remember the photo; he had a QB/RB cage on his helmet. Since both QBs and RBs have the same cage, I wasn't sure which position he was playing. Also, you're right: Players back then were a lot smaller than they are now. Heck, some high schools have pro-size linemen. Look at Damien's O-line, for example. They average what, 300 lbs across? And Damien isn't even in Open.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:02 am Another Samoan QB from the 60''s was Ron Autele of McKinley. Might have been Back of the Year. McKinley had super teams. This was prior to recruit raids at Palama Settlement and Mayor Wrights housing. As I remember Onosai Taunavasa played only fullback (old T formation) the QB was Bucky Mattson. Onosai highlights included many hurdling over tacklers on kickoff returns. Unpaid, Radford? I remember Darryl Nakoa, Tama Isaia, the Paikais.
@Markeke: I thought Palama Settlement kids went to Farrington High? Anyway, MWH kids went to McKinley High, but St Louis School starting raiding MWH kids as far back as the mid-'80s, from what I heard. And yeah, speaking of Tanuvasa hurdling tacklers: The photo I mentioned in my previous post to unpaid? That photo showed him hurdling an opposing player!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

If Mililani uses the defensive Gameplan they used against St. Louis, they ain’t beating us. The last thing they need in two nights is to play as they did against SLS.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:22 pm If Mililani uses the defensive Gameplan they used against St. Louis, they ain’t beating us. The last thing they need in two nights is to play as they did against SLS.
@gopunahou: Well, I have a hunch that Punahou will win. I mean, the only way Mililani can win is if their QB (Agbayani), their RB (Sam), their LBs, and their special teams all have a monster night. I understand that Mililani has a size disadvantage, too. If only they could do to Punahou what they did to Kahuku. Their special teams, in particular, really rose to the occasion that game.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:29 pm
gopunahou wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:22 pm If Mililani uses the defensive Gameplan they used against St. Louis, they ain’t beating us. The last thing they need in two nights is to play as they did against SLS.
@gopunahou: Well, I have a hunch that Punahou will win. I mean, the only way Mililani can win is if their QB (Agbayani), their RB (Sam), their LBs, and their special teams all have a monster night. I understand that Mililani has a size disadvantage, too. If only they could do to Punahou what they did to Kahuku. Their special teams, in particular, really rose to the occasion that game.
Agbayani has been hit-or-miss this season. In the Kamehameha game, he had a streak of incompletions. He also performed subparly against St. Louis. Mililani might need trick plays or key completions to score against us. This year might resemble 2002, when the two best teams in the state were obviously ILH teams.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Markeke,

Isaia could throw a nice flat pass,but he played more defensive end than QB as I recall. Coach V was in the habit of playing his backup QB'S on defense to keep them ready in case the the starter came out.When David Kinimaka was the starter,he didn't leave the field very often,but the backups still got playing time. LeeJay Paikai
Was one huge individual.He was 6-4 285 as a freshman.There was another Frosh,military kid I think,name was Colgate Spinks, he was a freshman too and was 6-4 235. They were both on the JV one year and both were bigger than any of the varsity OL/DL.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I can see that the Mililani-Punahou game ain’t a hot talking point.

But to talk about the game, the Trojans went on a hot streak after their embarrassing loss to us last year. Even though they looked underwhelming against Kapolei, can they start another hot streak?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:34 pm I can see that the Mililani-Punahou game ain’t a hot talking point.

But to talk about the game, the Trojans went on a hot streak after their embarrassing loss to us last year. Even though they looked underwhelming against Kapolei, can they start another hot streak?
@gopunahou: Perhaps the reason it ain't a hot talking point is that most guys have conceded that Punahou will win. I'm hoping Mililani wants to get revenge for last year's embarrassing loss. But wanting revenge isn't the same as getting revenge. As I mentioned in an earlier post, if Mililani is to upset Punahou, they have to be clicking on all cylinders, and Punahou has to make mistakes.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:34 pm I can see that the Mililani-Punahou game ain’t a hot talking point.

Agbayani throws at least 1 int. The biggest threat is Hoohuli. He is really good at stepping into passing lanes and coming up with ints, also good on rushing also. Good punter, just a Swiss Army knife. He’s had carries at RB also. Mililani uses him like Waianae used Kanai Mauga.

I feel pretty comfortable saying Puns wins this. I feel like a Mililani win would come from mess ups from Punahou.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:07 pm

Agbayani throws at least 1 int. The biggest threat is Hoohuli. He is really good at stepping into passing lanes and coming up with ints, also good on rushing also. Good punter, just a Swiss Army knife. He’s had carries at RB also. Mililani uses him like Waianae used Kanai Mauga.

I feel pretty comfortable saying Puns wins this. I feel like a Mililani win would come from mess ups from Punahou.
@genks: And how many INTs will Sagapolutele throw? Yep; like I said in my previous post, Punahou needs to make mistakes if Mililani is to pull the upset. Please screw-up, Puns! Please make just enough mistakes to lose the game. And, Trojans: If and when the Puns make those mistakes, please cash-in on those mistakes. Thank you in advance, Puns, for screwing-up. Thank you in advance, Trojans, for cashing-in.
GO TROJANS!

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

gopunahou wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:34 pmThis year might resemble 2002, when the two best teams in the state were obviously ILH teams.
I'd still bet real money on Mililani. Maybe not more than $20, but still. And based on the statement above, the reverse would be true, too? If Mililani wins, then the 2nd best team in the state will obviously reside in the OIA, right? No excuses either way.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Speaking of mistakes, I'd like Punahou to get called for lots of penalties. I want the Puns to commit "choke" penalties; moving the goalposts closer for the Trojans. Speaking of moving their goalposts closer, I'd like Mililani's FG kicker to convert a lot of them. Mililani needs to scratch for points in any and every way possible.