Way too early top ten HS football 2019

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
genks
Starter
Starter

Re: Way too early top ten HS football 2019

Post by genks »

How many championships till Lahainaluna is forced to move up to D1? Iolani was forced to move up to D1, what would be Open now, and got beat up by STL, Pun, and Kam. Would be interesting to see Lahainaluna move up.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:14 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:45 pm
#1Kahuku wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:11 pm
Dat mean Waipahu get chance against Iolani. Cheehoo!
@#1Kahuku: You're a guy after my own heart. Exactly like you, I prefer Waipahu High to Iolani School. Anyway, I think there's no question that Waipahu not only has a chance against Iolani; I think they WILL beat them, for the following reasons:
1. Waipahu will almost definitely have a physical advantage. When was the last time, if ever, Iolani was bigger than Waipahu? 1980? Even then, while Iolani had a big O-line, I don't know that the rest of the team was big.
2. Isn't Failauga returning? If so, Iolani's D will have their hands full trying to stop him.
3. Waipahu will have a good QB (Marques) and decent receivers.
4. Some guys on this thread have posted that Waipahu can and should move-up to Open. That says a lot. I don't think anyone has said that Iolani should move-up to Open. My guess is that Iolani cannot handle Open physically. Not only are they almost always too small physically; their roster is usually small turnout-wise.
I can’t imagine Waipahu having smaller teams than Iolani’s teams from 1997 to 2001. Iolani had bigger teams than PUNAHOU did in that time span. I also think that every year from 1997 to 2004 Iolani had AT LEAST one D1 prospect, or maybe two.
@gopunahou: You can't be serious. Iolani had more physical size than Punahou from '97 to '01? I find that very hard to believe. And, look how long it's been since Iolani has had a D1 football prospect.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:46 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:49 pm
genks wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:37 pm

He transferred to Mililani. He actually did pretty well against Mililani in last years state championship.
@genks: OK, that means Mililani will have at least one decent RB. I mean, St Louis is a pass-oriented team, but when they chose to go with the run, they went with Sam, and he was decent. NOW, the question arises: Without Sam, will St Louis have a decent run game at all, this coming season?
St Louis doesn’t run conventional run plays very often. It’s usually draws and options. There are 2 returning RBs that I know of, limited play time for both. Don’t know much about them.
@genks: Well, looks like we're going to see the kind of O that St Louis has usually had for the last two decades or so: 95% pass, 5% run.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:20 pm How many championships till Lahainaluna is forced to move up to D1? Iolani was forced to move up to D1, what would be Open now, and got beat up by STL, Pun, and Kam. Would be interesting to see Lahainaluna move up.
@genks: I agree. Lahainaluna has become the Iolani of the MIL, hiding behind D2. Lahainaluna usually has more physical size than Iolani; time for them to man-up and move-up to D1.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:46 pm
genks wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:20 pm How many championships till Lahainaluna is forced to move up to D1? Iolani was forced to move up to D1, what would be Open now, and got beat up by STL, Pun, and Kam. Would be interesting to see Lahainaluna move up.
@genks: I agree. Lahainaluna has become the Iolani of the MIL, hiding behind D2. Lahainaluna usually has more physical size than Iolani; time for them to man-up and move-up to D1.
I wouldn’t say they are hiding, they won 3 in a row but all 3 were very competitive, including the crazy 7 OT game (that I sat through to eventually watch the Crusaders at 11:00 or so) last years championship was a 2 point conversion away from Kapaa forcing OT, but that try failed. The games are fun and seem very even. But I’m pretty sure after so many chips in a row they move you up a division.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:40 pm
@gopunahou: You can't be serious. Iolani had more physical size than Punahou from '97 to '01? I find that very hard to believe. And, look how long it's been since Iolani has had a D1 football prospect.
Yes. You must not have followed HS football back then. They also had about 10 D1 prospects between 1996 and 2003. The only ones I can think of from Punahou during that time were Tafiti Uso, Saa Foster, and Dane Uperesa.

There is one former user who always wishes that things would go back to the way they were between 1997 and 1999.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:49 am
Yes. You must not have followed HS football back then. They also had about 10 D1 prospects between 1996 and 2003. The only ones I can think of from Punahou during that time were Tafiti Uso, Saa Foster, and Dane Uperesa.

There is one former user who always wishes that things would go back to the way they were between 1997 and 1999.
@gopunahou: Oh, I've been following HS football since the late-'70s; I'm old. I remember Iolani had RB Igber in the late-'90s, and then there was that O-lineman more recently. I don't really keep track of what players do in college, unless they go to UH. Well, I'm guessing that the former user you mentioned must be a St Louis alumnus, as St Louis dominated football from '97 to '99. But, Kahuku beat them in the final either in 1999 or 2000. Also, I'm assuming Punahou was still bigger physically than Iolani, overall, from '97 to '01. I mean, Iolani might have had one or two linemen each year who were pretty big and who may or may not have been D1 prospects, but what about the rest of the team? The only year that sticks-out in mind during which Iolani was BOTH bigger AND better than Punahou was '80, and that was 39 long years ago.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:35 pm

@gopunahou: Oh, I've been following HS football since the late-'70s; I'm old. I remember Iolani had RB Igber in the late-'90s, and then there was that O-lineman more recently. I don't really keep track of what players do in college, unless they go to UH. Well, I'm guessing that the former user you mentioned must be a St Louis alumnus, as St Louis dominated football from '97 to '99. But, Kahuku beat them in the final either in 1999 or 2000. Also, I'm assuming Punahou was still bigger physically than Iolani, overall, from '97 to '01. I mean, Iolani might have had one or two linemen each year who were pretty big and who may or may not have been D1 prospects, but what about the rest of the team? The only year that sticks-out in mind during which Iolani was bigger AND better than Punahou was '80, and that was a long time ago.
I think Iolani’s college prospects between that time were Bruce Willis, Raynold Stowers, Matt Wright, Ed Taamu, Uriah Moenoa, Willy Kava, and of course, Donny Mateaki and Joe Igber. I also think our only big player during that span was Dane Uperesa.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:47 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:35 pm

@gopunahou: Oh, I've been following HS football since the late-'70s; I'm old. I remember Iolani had RB Igber in the late-'90s, and then there was that O-lineman more recently. I don't really keep track of what players do in college, unless they go to UH. Well, I'm guessing that the former user you mentioned must be a St Louis alumnus, as St Louis dominated football from '97 to '99. But, Kahuku beat them in the final either in 1999 or 2000. Also, I'm assuming Punahou was still bigger physically than Iolani, overall, from '97 to '01. I mean, Iolani might have had one or two linemen each year who were pretty big and who may or may not have been D1 prospects, but what about the rest of the team? The only year that sticks-out in mind during which Iolani was bigger AND better than Punahou was '80, and that was a long time ago.
I think Iolani’s college prospects between that time were Bruce Willis, Raynold Stowers, Matt Wright, Ed Taamu, Uriah Moenoa, Willy Kava, and of course, Donny Mateaki and Joe Igber. I also think our only big player during that span was Dane Uperesa.
@gopunahou: Well, all of that was in the past. Looking ahead to this coming season, Iolani has nothing on Punahou. Punahou is bigger, better, and in a higher division than is Iolani. Iolani's past blue-chips aren't going to take the field; all they can do is watch from the stands. It's TODAY'S players. Besides, D1 Iolani won't even PLAY Open Punahou as the two schools are in different divisions, and I'm sure Iolani's players are very glad of that. I think Iolani would take a beating physically. Iolani's players might display bravado and say, "Bring Punahou on"; that's how high school players are. But I'm quite sure that deep down, they're glad it's not actually going to happen. I think the players on Iolani's D especially, and also their O-linemen, are glad of that. It's not fun constantly getting your clock cleaned by bigger guys on the other side of the ball.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:51 pm @gopunahou: Well, all of that was in the past. Looking ahead to this coming season, Iolani has nothing on Punahou. Punahou is bigger, better, and in a higher division than is Iolani. Iolani's past blue-chips aren't going to take the field; all they can do is watch from the stands. It's TODAY'S players. Besides, D1 Iolani won't even PLAY Open Punahou as the two schools are in different divisions, and I'm sure Iolani's players are very glad of that. I think Iolani would take a beating physically. Iolani's players might display bravado and say, "Bring Punahou on"; that's how high school players are. But I'm quite sure that deep down, they're glad it's not actually going to happen. I think the players on Iolani's D especially, and also their O-linemen, are glad of that.
I guess all of this matters because when it comes to Iolani FB, the question remains: can they ever reach the level they did when Joe Igber and Donny Mateaki played for them? You can bet Iolani alums hope so. The only team that was crushing Iolani on a regular basis between 1997 and 2001 was St. Louis. They almost beat a Kamehameha team that clobbered St. Louis in 1999 and had a winning record against us during that span.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:11 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:51 pm @gopunahou: Well, all of that was in the past. Looking ahead to this coming season, Iolani has nothing on Punahou. Punahou is bigger, better, and in a higher division than is Iolani. Iolani's past blue-chips aren't going to take the field; all they can do is watch from the stands. It's TODAY'S players. Besides, D1 Iolani won't even PLAY Open Punahou as the two schools are in different divisions, and I'm sure Iolani's players are very glad of that. I think Iolani would take a beating physically. Iolani's players might display bravado and say, "Bring Punahou on"; that's how high school players are. But I'm quite sure that deep down, they're glad it's not actually going to happen. I think the players on Iolani's D especially, and also their O-linemen, are glad of that.
I guess all of this matters because when it comes to Iolani FB, the question remains: can they ever reach the level they did when Joe Igber and Donny Mateaki played for them? You can bet Iolani alums hope so. The only team that was crushing Iolani on a regular basis between 1997 and 2001 was St. Louis. They almost beat a Kamehameha team that clobbered St. Louis in 1999 and had a winning record against us during that span.
@gopunahou: If the past decade is any indication, I suspect that Iolani football won't return to those glory days. Their three biggest problems are: 1.) They just don't seem to consistently have size; especially on the O-line, and, 2.) They just don't seem to have those blue-chip players anymore, and, 3.) They just don't have enough turnout.
I really don't know why that is. I don't know if it's some kind of evolution--or, more precisely, devolution--that Iolani School is going through. I mean, Iolani might still stay competitive in D1. But in the back of Iolani alumni's minds, there's probably that nagging, depressing perception that Iolani might never climb-up to Open. Iolani School just isn't getting those good, big, blue-chip players any more. It's so complicated. I mean, even IF Iolani School were to get a big O-line AND a big D-line, that might not be enough. Those big players also have to be GOOD. Of course, big fat O-linemen at least get in the way of the other school's defensive front-seven, but there are a number of schools that seem to have big lines on both sides of the ball, but can't seem to get to Open. In the case of some schools, it's a cyclical thing. They might have an Open-quality team once every four or five years, but that's it. A school like Leilehua High comes to mind.
Look at all the schools that are in Open right now. All of them have big linemen, especially on O. I can't think of a single school in Open that has a smallish O-line. To me, if you ain't got size, forget it. If a school wants to aspire to a seat at the Open table, it's got to have physical size on the line, even the D-line. That seems to be an unspoken minimal requirement. It's as if there's a sign just before the Open table that says, "Schools without physical size on both lines need not apply." And even if a school DOES have that, there seems to be a further vetting process that looks at what kind of TALENT that school has. And THEN guys look at turnout. I.e., if at least two of that school's linemen are playing both ways out of necessity, THAT'S a red flag.
I think this entire post shows how hard it will be for Iolani School to ever again get up there with the big dogs. The Raiders might have to perpetually settle for D1; they might not ever be able to crack Open.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

AuffreyMustDIE wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:35 pm I know one guy that’s a parent of both Iolani and St. Louis parents and that’s that Trump-loving cöcksucker Auffrey. Or Big Dog. Or STL79. Whatever his name, he deserves to die for his opinions and support of both Iolani and St. Louis. He does not deserve to have good things happen to him, like Trump winning re-election and St. Louis and Iolani winning state championships. All apologists of Auffrey, along with people who’ve got the opinions he’s got, deserve to die, too.
@AuffreyMustDIE: Well, I've got two things in common with you. 1.) I don't like Trump either, and, 2.) I don't want Iolani winning state titles.
I hesitated to include St Louis, because the only thing I don't like about St Louis is their football dominance. So, I guess I should say that I don't want St Louis winning ILH or State football titles. Also, I don't think Trump will be re-elected. The Democrats have a very strong field of over 20 candidates, and the Mueller report and the recent allegation of a past sexual assault by Trump, should sink him. He's also facing the possibility of impeachment.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Recent posters are way off topic. This is about Hawaii hs football teams and the sport of football.

It's not about deciding who should die because of their opinions.It's not about personal angst about who you want to win titles and who you don't want to win titles.

There must be plenty of hate forums where you can post some of the recent posts I've seen on this thread,but I am saying enough. You can go back 11 years and see. I am not a moderator,but I do talk to one of them and he passes the posts here onto Scott. Said moderator would have erased HS sports from discussions for reasons I totally understand. Scott has been patient,but at the end of patience there is great anger.

Do you want this to be the year where the High School sports forum gets shut down permanently? He already erased forums because of low participation. The irritation factor is important ,too and guess which remaining forum accounts for the most problems on content... Yeah, HS Sports forum.

You want to attack people with profane names and accusations,get off this thread. I will pass on some of the stuff I've seen on this page of the thread alone and let the chips fall where they may if I don't see some deleted posts before Monday.

There were several troublemakers last year who got banned or chastened. If you are a troublemaker, go away..you can find an Internet home elsewhere.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I have updated the Long Beach Poly-Punahou, St.Louis-Bishop Gorman,and Mililani- St. John Bosco capsules with updated player rankings on the 247 Sports site.

Long story short. St.Louis should handle BG, Punahou should defeat Long Beach Poly, and Mililani probably still loses to St.John Bosco. The Trojans should win over Liberty,NV this fall.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

unpaid wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:19 pm I have updated the Long Beach Poly-Punahou, St.Louis-Bishop Gorman,and Mililani- St. John Bosco capsules with updated player rankings on the 247 Sports site.

Long story short. St.Louis should handle BG, Punahou should defeat Long Beach Poly, and Mililani probably still loses to St.John Bosco. The Trojans should win over Liberty,NV this fall.
Gorman has a big time qb, or at least I assume big time being a Penn State commit. That’s pretty scary. I’m sure they have size also. I’m sure my boys will be very excited for this opportunity and will train hard, expecting a war. Fingers crossed.