Way too early top ten HS football 2019

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
genks
Starter
Starter

Re: Way too early top ten HS football 2019

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:47 pm
genks wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:51 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:42 pm

@unpaid: Yes, for months, guys have been saying that Campbell will be getting good transfers for the upcoming season, so I'm not surprised that you rank them so high. What was a pleasant surprise, though, is that you rank them above Punahou. I'd rank Punahou right behind St Louis, but here's a situation in which I hope you are right.

I'm still not convinced, though, that Waipahu can beat Kamehameha. For sure, I think they would give the Warriors a good rub, but I still can't see them beating them. I thought Marques was a senior this year. If he's only a junior, then he and Failauga returning would give the Marauders a good QB and a very good RB. Too bad Waipahu won't be moving-up to Open; if they did, we'd see them play Kamehameha, which would settle the issue.
I assume that Unpaid is most concerned about Kam’s offense. Waipahu’s defense last year played really tough and they had good size. Kam will probably be strong on defense as usual and struggle on offense as usual. As much as I like to root for Kam to earn respect, I too would not be confident in Kam to beat Waipahu. Unless Kam has the next Saquon Barkley coming in and a good QBs and WRs that we just never heard of before, it’s going to be tough.

I’m not real familiar with Waipahu so I don’t know who they lost, who they return, and who’s up and coming but it would’ve been very interesting to see them in the open division.
@genks
@unpaid

I found out about half an hour ago that Kamehameha's QB from last season, Togiai, is only a junior, so he should be returning. Togiai might not be as good as Waipahu's Marques, but he's decent. Only question is: Will he have decent receivers? But, the same question applies to Marques: Will he have decent receivers? So, I think we can say that Kamehameha will have a "good" QB. Having said that, neither Waipahu nor Kamehameha are traditionally pass-oriented schools. genks, I give you credit for rooting for Kamehameha. If I were a St Louis alumnus, I wouldn't. Kamehameha is a rival.
Yeah to be honest it makes it easier to hope they get respect when they haven’t really put us in danger for a long time.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:24 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:54 pm
genks wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:59 pm Unpaid I noticed you didn’t mention Wynden Hoohuli, ILB. I saw someone on HPW mention another school is trying to convince his parents to transfer him. But if he stays at St Louis, he will be a great part of that defense. We saw flashes from him last year
@genks: Holy crap. You guys already have Botelho; let Hoohuli go to another school, as long as it isn't Punahou! :)
Hahahaha I think he could be really good. Where ever he ends up he will be a good addition
@gopunahou: (Sorry, I was editing the previous post while you posted this one.) Well, I don't know how good Hoohuli is; genks seems to think he has choke potential. Let's face it, he might very well transfer to Punahou. I mean, genks said someone mentioned that another school is trying to pull him away from St Louis. Punahou seems to do a lot more recruiting than Kamehameha does. Or, let's say a public school is trying to grab him. Seems that the only way a public school could get him is if he lives far from St Louis School, and that public school is much closer to where he lives. And, that's assuming that he lives far from St Louis School. For example, let's assume for argument's sake that Hoohuli lives in Kahuku High's district. Kahuku High would tell him: "St Louis is a good football school for sure, but it's so far away. Perhaps we're not as good as St Louis, but we're pretty good. Why not just go to our school?"

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:26 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:47 pm
genks wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:51 pm

I assume that Unpaid is most concerned about Kam’s offense. Waipahu’s defense last year played really tough and they had good size. Kam will probably be strong on defense as usual and struggle on offense as usual. As much as I like to root for Kam to earn respect, I too would not be confident in Kam to beat Waipahu. Unless Kam has the next Saquon Barkley coming in and a good QBs and WRs that we just never heard of before, it’s going to be tough.

I’m not real familiar with Waipahu so I don’t know who they lost, who they return, and who’s up and coming but it would’ve been very interesting to see them in the open division.
@genks
@unpaid

I found out about half an hour ago that Kamehameha's QB from last season, Togiai, is only a junior, so he should be returning. Togiai might not be as good as Waipahu's Marques, but he's decent. Only question is: Will he have decent receivers? But, the same question applies to Marques: Will he have decent receivers? So, I think we can say that Kamehameha will have a "good" QB. Having said that, neither Waipahu nor Kamehameha are traditionally pass-oriented schools. genks, I give you credit for rooting for Kamehameha. If I were a St Louis alumnus, I wouldn't. Kamehameha is a rival.
Yeah to be honest it makes it easier to hope they get respect when they haven’t really put us in danger for a long time.
@genks: Well, Kamehameha isn't going to put St Louis in danger for the upcoming season, that's for sure.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:32 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:54 pm

@genks: Holy crap. You guys already have Botelho; let Hoohuli go to another school, as long as it isn't Punahou! :)
Hahahaha I think he could be really good. Where ever he ends up he will be a good addition
@gopunahou: (Sorry, I was editing the previous post while you posted this one.) Well, I don't know how good Hoohuli is; genks seems to think he has choke potential. Let's face it, he might very well transfer to Punahou. I mean, genks said someone mentioned that another school is trying to pull him away from St Louis. Punahou seems to do a lot more recruiting than Kamehameha does. Or, let's say a public school is trying to grab him. Seems that the only way a public school could get him is if he lives far from St Louis School, and that public school is much closer to where he lives. And, that's assuming that he lives far from St Louis School. For example, let's assume for argument's sake that Hoohuli lives in Kahuku High's district. Kahuku High would tell him: "St Louis is a good football school for sure, but it's so far away. Perhaps we're not as good as St Louis, but we're pretty good. Why not just go to our school?"
I doubt it would be an ILH school because of the player eligibility rule. If that rumor is in fact true, it’s gotta be an OIA school. He’s going to be a junior I believe and he’s got some offers. I’m sure he wouldn’t want to sit a year when he could be collecting more offers.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

genks wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:16 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:32 pm

I doubt it would be an ILH school because of the player eligibility rule. If that rumor is in fact true, it’s gotta be an OIA school. He’s going to be a junior I believe and he’s got some offers. I’m sure he wouldn’t want to sit a year when he could be collecting more offers.
@genks: Forgot about that rule. Well, first of all, we don't know for sure that he's leaving St Louis School, right? You said the other school has been trying to pull him away, but we don't know if that school succeeded, right? But, if that school did succeed, I'm glad that it's "gotta be" an OIA school. The last thing I would want is for him to transfer to Punahou School. I mean, I'm not exactly a fan of St Louis School, but I would much rather have them than Punahou School. So, if it is an OIA school, it's most likely an Open school, right? If I had to guess which one, I would guess Campbell High. That's because that school seems to be the highest-ranked OIA Open school, at the moment.

teamhawaii
High-quality H20 provider
NBA: L.A. Lakers

Post by teamhawaii »

Maxpreps posted some of the OPEN schedule. Saw some interesting match ups especially against the mainland.

Mililani vs. @ Liberty (NV) & St. John Bosco (CA)
St. Louis vs. Bishop Gorman (NV)
Kahuku vs. @ Timpview (UT)
Punahou vs. @ Long Beach Poly (CA)
Kapolei vs. Downey (CA)
Kamehameha vs. Narbonne (CA)
Campbell vs. O Conner (AZ)

It looks like Kahuku opens up the season vs. Kamehameha Aug 9

Mililani plays Bosco and then St. Louis the next week (brutal)

The rest of the schedule are kinda unfilled and I’m not certain on how OFFICIAL it is

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

teamhawaii wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 4:07 am Maxpreps posted some of the OPEN schedule. Saw some interesting match ups especially against the mainland.

Mililani vs. @ Liberty (NV) & St. John Bosco (CA)
St. Louis vs. Bishop Gorman (NV)
Kahuku vs. @ Timpview (UT)
Punahou vs. @ Long Beach Poly (CA)
Kapolei vs. Downey (CA)
Kamehameha vs. Narbonne (CA)
Campbell vs. O Conner (AZ)

It looks like Kahuku opens up the season vs. Kamehameha Aug 9

Mililani plays Bosco and then St. Louis the next week (brutal)

The rest of the schedule are kinda unfilled and I’m not certain on how OFFICIAL it is
@teamhawaii: And there's always the possibility that Mother Nature might screw things up by hitting us--(or, almost hitting us)--with a hurricane. Meteorologists are predicting another active hurricane season, with some 6-9 storms projected. Last year, at least one game was cancelled due to the threat of Hurricane Lane. Hurricane season starts next Saturday.

#1Kahuku
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by #1Kahuku »

If St. Louis wishes to monopolize all state championships and steal all da good playas from public skoos, the OIA should kick em to da curb and refuse to play um. Dey jus as bad as Iolani refusing to play in da open and playing D2 all those yrs. And stealing kids outta Kahuku. And if somebody be a fan of both Iolani and St. Louis, dey deserve to die for having the opinion that “I hope St. Louis and Iolani win state titles in dey divisions!” People should die for having that opinion!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

#1Kahuku wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:01 pm If St. Louis wishes to monopolize all state championships and steal all da good playas from public skoos, the OIA should kick em to da curb and refuse to play um. Dey jus as bad as Iolani refusing to play in da open and playing D2 all those yrs. And stealing kids outta Kahuku. And if somebody be a fan of both Iolani and St. Louis, dey deserve to die for having the opinion that “I hope St. Louis and Iolani win state titles in dey divisions!” People should die for having that opinion!
@#1Kahuku: I like your fighting spirit; I'm not a fan of St Louis nor Iolani. But, I'm not sure the OIA should refuse to play them. Yes, St Louis and Iolani have been stealing good players from public schools for decades, but even then, public schools have sometimes beaten them. Several years ago, Kahuku ruled high school football in Hawaii. And, just this past season, Waipahu beat Iolani for the state D1 title. As far as stealing players from Kahuku, though, I think Punahou is more guilty than St Louis. Punahou is like "Kahuku South." Having said all that, though, I'm quite certain St Louis will repeat as state Open champs. I would love for Kahuku to beat them, but I simply don't think that's possible; not this coming season. But again, I like your fighting spirit. Also, while again I'm not a fan of St Louis School or Iolani School, I'm very OK with Kahuku High. So...

Go Red Raiders!

ka'ahupahau706

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

@HSFootballFan
Punahou does not recruit as nearly as much as STL does. You just assume they recruit because of the stigma Punahou has always had as the rich white school and Polynesians kids don't really go there, but now that you see a bunch of them there.. Punahou is the Kahuku South? I always enjoy your comments because you're active in this forum. But I will say, STL recruits and at this point they have attracted so many kids to go there, BUT how many kids have you heard that didn't get into STL? No one! Punahou kids still have to take a test and pass. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the majority of "diverse" kids are all very smart. If Punahou does recruit, only a few actually get in compared to the amount I'm sure they try to bring in. Anyway point being, Punahou does not recruit as much as STL does. I'm not even sure how much Kahuku kids actually are on the team this year? Sorry, I only know all this stuff is because I'm close with a bunch of schools enough to know what's happening.

ka'ahupahau706

Post by ka'ahupahau706 »

By the way, has anyone heard about a sophomore QB for Saint Louis this upcoming season? I hear he's the real deal as well.
Also heard Punahou will be having a freshman QB that's been at the school for years now finally making his way to HS who is also the real deal?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ka'ahupahau706 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:22 am @HSFootballFan
Punahou does not recruit as nearly as much as STL does. You just assume they recruit because of the stigma Punahou has always had as the rich white school and Polynesians kids don't really go there, but now that you see a bunch of them there.. Punahou is the Kahuku South? I always enjoy your comments because you're active in this forum. But I will say, STL recruits and at this point they have attracted so many kids to go there, BUT how many kids have you heard that didn't get into STL? No one! Punahou kids still have to take a test and pass. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the majority of "diverse" kids are all very smart. If Punahou does recruit, only a few actually get in compared to the amount I'm sure they try to bring in. Anyway point being, Punahou does not recruit as much as STL does. I'm not even sure how much Kahuku kids actually are on the team this year? Sorry, I only know all this stuff is because I'm close with a bunch of schools enough to know what's happening.
@ka'ahupahau706: Thanks for your input. I know a Punahou alumnus who said his alma mater recruits a lot from Kahuku High; that's why I thought Punahou School was "Kahuku South." But, perhaps you know better. But, does St Louis School recruit lots of kids from Kahuku High? They've been recruiting from McKinley High for decades--(MWH is in McKinley High's district)--but I wasn't aware that they recruit lots of kids from Kahuku High, too. But, yes, you might know more about these things than that Punahou alumnus. Thanks again for your post.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Also, if I could add here that I dislike Punahou School not because of its "stigma" as a "rich White high school." Yes, as I was born and raised here, I'm aware of that stereotype. And, I guess I'd like to call it a stereotype rather than a stigma because I'm OK with Punahou School being mostly White, and having mostly rich kids. In addition, over the past 30 years or longer, lots of Asian kids have gone to Punahou School, and, not all Punahou School students come from rich families. (I'm not trying to say that I prefer Asian kids to White kids; I'm just saying that Punahou School has become more diverse than it was, say, 40 years ago.) I dislike Punahou School because of all the league championships and state championships they take every year. I mean, I hugely resent that. Plus, every league championship or state championship that Punahou School wins is one that your or my alma mater didn't.
Let's compare Punahou School to Kaiser High. Yes, the former is private, the latter is public. Yet, both schools have a lot in common. As a private high school, Punahou School takes generally wealthier kids from all over the island. As a public high school, Kaiser High takes kids from its district, which includes Hawaii Kai and Portlock. Portlock, especially, is a very wealthy area. Even Hawaii Kai, as a neighborhood, is upper-middle class. Also, both schools have lots of White kids, but also quite a few Asian kids, too. Yet, I would rather have Kaiser High than Punahou School. Why? Because Kaiser High takes fewer league championships and state championships than Punahou School does. Therefore, Kaiser High is hog-cheesing fewer such championships, thereby leaving more such championships available for other schools such as your alma mater or mine.
If a kid attending my alma mater is White, Asian, or a member of any other ethnicity, or is of mixed heritage, I look past that. The kid attends my alma mater; that's a special feeling. There's a feeling of a common bond. Guy or gal, doesn't matter.

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

Can you just transfer into Kapalama whenever? I thought you had to be accepted going into high school?

I have a feeling Iolani will drop to D2 and force Damien to follow.

Isn't Alfred Failauga like 20 years old already? He's still playing next year?

Nobody will get close to St Louis.

I thought the Kahuku players that went to Campbell are going back home?

#1Kahuku
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by #1Kahuku »

University Ave wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:24 pm Can you just transfer into Kapalama whenever? I thought you had to be accepted going into high school?

I have a feeling Iolani will drop to D2 and force Damien to follow.

Isn't Alfred Failauga like 20 years old already? He's still playing next year?

Nobody will get close to St Louis.

I thought the Kahuku players that went to Campbell are going back home?
People who hope that both Iolani and St Louis win state championships deserve to die for having that opinion.