2019 Baseball/Softball

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Message
Author
User avatar
Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference
Posts: 1019
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:07 pm
Location: Hawai'i

2019 Baseball/Softball

#1 Post by Neighbor » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:52 pm

How's the season shaping up? are there any big-time prospects this year like we've had the past few years? Seemingly looked like Iolani was the biggest contender but they have collapsed a bit as of late. Might come down to the neighbor islands again, or should I say Baldwin and Waiakea again.

As for softball, I don't know? Probably another OIA West team.

HS Football Fanatic
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: 2019 Baseball/Softball

#2 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:38 pm

Neighbor wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:52 pm
How's the season shaping up? are there any big-time prospects this year like we've had the past few years? Seemingly looked like Iolani was the biggest contender but they have collapsed a bit as of late. Might come down to the neighbor islands again, or should I say Baldwin and Waiakea again.

As for softball, I don't know? Probably another OIA West team.
@Neighbor: In baseball, Baldwin High is my favorite to take it again. As for softball, Campbell High--(you're right, an OIA West school)--looks very good. I mean, they hit the crap out of the ball. Their batting lineup has choke power. You let the Sabers put girls on base with walks or hits, chances are they're going to come around to score.

gopunahou
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2869
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: 2019 Baseball/Softball

#3 Post by gopunahou » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:23 am

Koa Eldredge is our best player and Mr. Everything for us.

As for softball, the OIA can take pride in the fact that that's one of the few "OIA sports."
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: 2019 Baseball/Softball

#4 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:20 pm

gopunahou wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:23 am
Koa Eldredge is our best player and Mr. Everything for us.

As for softball, the OIA can take pride in the fact that that's one of the few "OIA sports."
@gopunahou: In baseball, it's hard to compare Punahou School to Baldwin High because they're in different leagues. This much can be said for the Bears: They're undefeated, and they're ranked #1 in the state. As for Punahou, they did win the regular-season ILH title, and are going to States. Right now the ILH is in the round-robin tourney. In softball, yeah, it looks like the OIA will dominate. Like the Puns' baseball team, the Puns' softball team won the regular-season ILH title, and they, too, are going to States. But, I don't think Punahou School has the pitching or the power to stay with the top OIA schools: Campbell High, Leilehua High, Kaiser High, and Waianae High. I think all four of those schools can beat Punahou School.

gopunahou
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2869
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: 2019 Baseball/Softball

#5 Post by gopunahou » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:54 pm

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:20 pm


@gopunahou: In baseball, it's hard to compare Punahou School to Baldwin High because they're in different leagues. This much can be said for the Bears: They're undefeated, and they're ranked #1 in the state. As for Punahou, they did win the regular-season ILH title, and are going to States. Right now the ILH is in the round-robin tourney. In softball, yeah, it looks like the OIA will dominate. Like the Puns' baseball team, the Puns' softball team won the regular-season ILH title, and they, too, are going to States. But, I don't think Punahou School has the pitching or the power to stay with the top OIA schools: Campbell High, Leilehua High, Kaiser High, and Waianae High. I think all four of those schools can beat Punahou School.
I can't think of another sport where the top teams (in this case, four) are from the OIA. Girls soccer used to be that way.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

bandits1
Pine rider
Pine rider
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: 2019 Baseball/Softball

#6 Post by bandits1 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:10 pm

^^^Girls soccer is still that way. It was OIA West Campbell in the championship game vs Kamehameha this past season, and Pearl City's Fontes won Star-Advertiser's POY and Scoring Live's Offensive POY. So both team-wise and individually, the OIA is still at or near the top in girls soccer.

Also, boys' and girls wrestling. 4 of the top 10 boys' team finishers at states were OIA teams, and 6 of 10 on the girls' side. And the OIA has been absolutely dominant in boys' and especially girls' judo. Bowling, too. Other sports the OIA has been historically competitive in at the state level are: boys' basketball, boys' golf, boys' and girls air riflery and cheerleading. And let's not forget about football. You may not care about some of these sports and most aren't "high-profile", but they count nonetheless.

bandits1
Pine rider
Pine rider
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:10 pm

Re: 2019 Baseball/Softball

#7 Post by bandits1 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:14 pm

More on-topic, I can't remember the last time Mililani and/or Pearl City didn't made the softball state tourney. And I'd bet there was never a time where both teams failed to make it. Sucks. And I don't know what's going on with Pearl City baseball the past few seasons. There was a time not too long ago when we were perennial contenders in the OIA.

HS Football Fanatic
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: 2019 Baseball/Softball

#8 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:55 pm

bandits1 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:14 pm
More on-topic, I can't remember the last time Mililani and/or Pearl City didn't made the softball state tourney. And I'd bet there was never a time where both teams failed to make it. Sucks. And I don't know what's going on with Pearl City baseball the past few seasons. There was a time not too long ago when we were perennial contenders in the OIA.
@bandits1: Yes, it is shocking that both Pearl City and Mililani won't be going to States in softball, especially Mililani. As for baseball, yeah, this may be the worst season Pearl City has ever had. I recall that Pearl City was very decent in baseball when I was in high school in the mid-'70s, and I don't recall them ever being weak in that sport since. I guess it's just "one of those years" for them this year.

HS Football Fanatic
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: 2019 Baseball/Softball

#9 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:05 pm

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:55 pm
bandits1 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:14 pm
More on-topic, I can't remember the last time Mililani and/or Pearl City didn't made the softball state tourney. And I'd bet there was never a time where both teams failed to make it. Sucks. And I don't know what's going on with Pearl City baseball the past few seasons. There was a time not too long ago when we were perennial contenders in the OIA.
@bandits1: Yes, it is shocking that both Pearl City and Mililani won't be going to States in softball, especially Mililani. As for baseball, yeah, this may be the worst season Pearl City has ever had. I recall that Pearl City was very decent in baseball when I was in high school in the mid-'70s, and I don't recall them ever being weak in that sport since. I guess it's just "one of those years" for them this year. By the way, they weren't too bad the past few seasons. It's only this season that they're really weak. (Please disregard the post immediately preceding; I have no way to delete it.)

gopunahou
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2869
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: 2019 Baseball/Softball

#10 Post by gopunahou » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:30 pm

No disrespect to Iolani, but we are too talented and experienced to lose a game 13-3. Oh well, at least we beat them in softball.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: 2019 Baseball/Softball

#11 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:40 pm

gopunahou wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:30 pm
No disrespect to Iolani, but we are too talented and experienced to lose a game 13-3. Oh well, at least we beat them in softball.
@gopunahou: I don't know; Punahou lost to Kamehameha yesterday, 7-0. But, the Puns are going to States. Speaking of Iolani, their boys' volleyball team beat Punahou a few minutes ago, 3-1.

sportsfanbb
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: 2019 Baseball/Softball

#12 Post by sportsfanbb » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:01 am

Disappointed that Iolani didn't make it to States this year. Seemed to have the talent this year again.

HS Football Fanatic
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: 2019 Baseball/Softball

#13 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:02 pm

sportsfanbb wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:01 am
Disappointed that Iolani didn't make it to States this year. Seemed to have the talent this year again.
@sportsfanbb: Yeah. Frankly, I'm surprised they're not going. I think they have the most power (hitting) in the state, and decent pitching. They lost a number of close games due to errors and to lapses in base-running. In a few of those close losses, they ran into some very good pitchers. It's all in the rotation. I figure most schools pitched their ace against them because of their power (hitting), so they faced good pitching almost every game. But, their school's softball team is going to States. I don't think they'll take it, though. Not enough pitching, and while they do have some power, the top three OIA schools have even more.

User avatar
Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference
Posts: 1019
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:07 pm
Location: Hawai'i

Re: 2019 Baseball/Softball

#14 Post by Neighbor » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:42 pm

Thought this could have been a year for iolani to bring a state title home. crazy how big they collapsed

HS Football Fanatic
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: 2019 Baseball/Softball

#15 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:19 pm

Neighbor wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:42 pm
Thought this could have been a year for iolani to bring a state title home. crazy how big they collapsed
@Neighbor: Yeah, and the more you think about it, the crazier it becomes. I mean, Iolani School had the most power-hitting in the state, and they had decent pitching. And, three ILH D1 schools are going to States; three. And the Raiders couldn't even place third. So, Iolani alumni have reason to be pissed. Kamehameha Schools is going to States, but their alumni also have reason to be pissed. Yesterday, Kamehameha and St Louis had to finish a game that was called in the bottom of the 3rd on Friday due to rain. The Warriors were up 4-0 at that point, and that's where the game resumed. The Warriors somehow found a way to lose the game, 5-4. It made absolutely no sense. For the game, the Warriors doubled-up the Crusaders on hits, 6-3. The Crusaders committed an awful 5 errors, while the Warriors committed only 2. I don't understand how the Warriors could have allowed the Crusaders to win that game; somebody on that Kamehameha team screwed-up, and there must have been a lot of pissed, disgusted Warrior fans there. If Kamehameha had won, they would have been round-robin champs, and would have played Punahou for the overall ILH D1 title. (The Puns are regular-season champs.) So, Kamehameha alumni have a reason to be pissed, even though the Warriors are going to States.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 36 guests