2019-2020 Wrestling Season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
FlyingSquirrel808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:52 am

Re: 2019-2020 Wrestling Season

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

talloola25 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:05 am
Girls: Teams - Moanalua(6 finalists, 3 champs), Campbell(5 finalists, 0 champs), Miliani(4 finalists, 2 champs)
97- Hikiji(MIL) over Enriquez(CAM)
102- Funakoshi(AIE) over Javier(MIL)
107- Correal(AIE) over Villapondo(CAM)
112- Mangrobang(LEI) over Terukina(CAM)
117- Lee(MIL) over Terukina(CAM)
122- Paulino(KLN) over Cooper(PC)
127- Oshita(MOA) over Ibarra(KPO)
132- Perez(MOA) over ???
138- Titcomb(MOA) over Grilho(RAD)
145- Carlson(WAN) over Wright(CAM)
155- Antoque(CAS) over Jhun(MOA)
168- Antolin(CAS) over Mahoe(NAN)
184- Fonoti(MIL) over Yuen(MOA)
225- Endo(WAN) over Leota(MOA)
Ok, here are my 2 cents again:
97: Gonna have to go with the sentimental pick here and say Enriquez (CAM) gets it done over Hikiji (MIL)
112: Terukina (CAM) over Mangrobang (LEI)
127: I say Perez (MOA) is back at this weight over Cabinian (LEI)
132: Oshita (MOA) over Reynolds (RAD)...this looks like the softest weight class for the girls
168: Mahoe (NAN) over Antolin (MOA)
225: Niutupuivaha (KAH) over Endo (WAN)
Team: Moanalua, Campbell, Mililani, Aiea, Waianae in that order

Rds
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:30 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Wrestling Season

Post by Rds »

talloola25 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:40 am
FlyingSquirrel808 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:20 am
talloola25 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:26 am

Anything to get this forum moving again. . . Will try to be audacious just to move the needle a bit.
Boys: Team - Moanalua, Kapolei, Waianae will be top 3 depending on health and seeds of line ups.
106: Cordeiro(Wan) over Kamimura(KLN)
113: McBrayer(KPO) over Kamimura(KLN)
120: Asuncion(MOA) over Magsayo(WAN) Possible preview for state finals
126: Baron(ROS) over LUM(PC)
132: Zheng(AIE) over Okura(KLN)
138: Higa(ROS) over Branigan(WAN)
145: Sumiye(MOA) over Lee(CAS)
152: Pagurayan(KPO) over Taam(MOA no way he goes back up to 160) Possible preview for state finals
160: Gooman(CAM) over McCreadle(KAS)
170: Nitahara(MOA) over Vilavong (CAM)
182: Adinwin(MOA) over Aiwohi-Frisby(WAN)
195: Thiravong(RAD) over Kane(KIL)
220: Hanohano(KPO) over Lloyd(KIM) Possible preview for state finals
285: Lombard(KAH) over Leapaga(KPO) Possible preview for state finals
Moanalua(5 finalists, 4 champs) Waianae(4 finalists, 1 Champ) Kapolei(4 Finalists, 3 Champs)
Should be fun(feel free to show where you disagree. . . I know I would)
Girls to come later today(feel free someone else to take a stab at it first)
Alright, good start. Here goes my difference in opinions:
113: Gonna go with J. Kamimura (KLN) over Chanthabouasith (LEI). Kamimura's brother beat him earlier this year, so maybe they have some inside info.
120: Agree, except I think the state finals might include Ravida from Baldwin though.
132: Okura (KLN) over Gonzales (ROOS). Okura majored Zheng last time they wrestled. I think Gonzales beats Zheng in the semis.
138: I think Higa gets it done, but over Stovall (MCK) instead. Stovall was smoking Ferreira (MOAN) in the semis and then just got caught.
152: No disagreement, but I completely agree that I think Taam got a lot of criticism last year and wants to go after Pagurayan this year.
160: McCreadie (KAS) over Gooman (CAM) instead. McCreadie looks good.
220: Lloyd (KIM) over Hanohano (KPO) instead.
Team: Moanalua, Kapolei, Waianae, Kalani, Campbell...in that order
The crazy part about 152 is that Pagurayan Teched McCreadie when they wrestled last. . . It would be so easy to just move up yet he has decided to at 152.
I think Tapia will stop Pagurayan & Taam from repeating as state champion @152 but I don't think Taam will stay @ 152 he's going to run to 160

FlyingSquirrel808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:52 am

Re: 2019-2020 Wrestling Season

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

Rds wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:01 am
talloola25 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:40 am
FlyingSquirrel808 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:20 am


Alright, good start. Here goes my difference in opinions:
113: Gonna go with J. Kamimura (KLN) over Chanthabouasith (LEI). Kamimura's brother beat him earlier this year, so maybe they have some inside info.
120: Agree, except I think the state finals might include Ravida from Baldwin though.
132: Okura (KLN) over Gonzales (ROOS). Okura majored Zheng last time they wrestled. I think Gonzales beats Zheng in the semis.
138: I think Higa gets it done, but over Stovall (MCK) instead. Stovall was smoking Ferreira (MOAN) in the semis and then just got caught.
152: No disagreement, but I completely agree that I think Taam got a lot of criticism last year and wants to go after Pagurayan this year.
160: McCreadie (KAS) over Gooman (CAM) instead. McCreadie looks good.
220: Lloyd (KIM) over Hanohano (KPO) instead.
Team: Moanalua, Kapolei, Waianae, Kalani, Campbell...in that order
The crazy part about 152 is that Pagurayan Teched McCreadie when they wrestled last. . . It would be so easy to just move up yet he has decided to at 152.
I think Tapia will stop Pagurayan & Taam from repeating as state champion @152 but I don't think Taam will stay @ 152 he's going to run to 160
I guess we'll know for sure when brackets come out later tonight!

OldManJenkins
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:36 am

Re: 2019-2020 Wrestling Season

Post by OldManJenkins »

where's the brackets????
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field

Rds
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:30 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Wrestling Season

Post by Rds »

OldManJenkins wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:24 pm
where's the brackets????
On Trackwrestling

Rds
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:30 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Wrestling Season

Post by Rds »

I guess I was wrong about Taam he's not running this year 152 should be interesting but I still say Tapia will win States

talloola25
Pine rider
Pine rider
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:35 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Wrestling Season

Post by talloola25 »

Rds wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:04 pm
I guess I was wrong about Taam he's not running this year 152 should be interesting but I still say Tapia will win States
Now Tapia and Taam will be on same side of bracket. That should be interesting.

Desantos and Dudoit at 145 will probably be same half as well.

At 285 Legend and Lombard will be same half as well.

Will be some interesting brackets

Rds
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:30 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Wrestling Season

Post by Rds »

talloola25 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:19 pm
Rds wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:04 pm
I guess I was wrong about Taam he's not running this year 152 should be interesting but I still say Tapia will win States
Now Tapia and Taam will be on same side of bracket. That should be interesting.

Desantos and Dudoit at 145 will probably be same half as well.

At 285 Legend and Lombard will be same half as well.

Will be some interesting brackets
Tapia beat Taam during the season so I don't think Taam will be a problem for him but 152 definitely the bracket to watch

138 should be another competitive bracket

Girls side had some drama @ the OIA championships it might be interesting @ states

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3400
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Wrestling Season

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Kamehameha swept the boys' and girls' titles in the ILH, and Moanalua swept the boys' and girls' titles in the OIA. Which school is favored in States? Will it be a "clash of the titans" between those two schools? How do they stack-up against each other? Is a neighbor-island school also in the mix? Isn't Lahainaluna supposed to be tough, especially the girls? (Sorry, I don't follow wrestling as closely as I follow basketball and soccer. Wrestling seems too complicated; there are all those different weight divisions and resultant individual champs. In basketball and soccer, there aren't different weight divisions and individual champs. There's only D1 and D2; just those two categories to deal with. Well, ILH basketball also has a D3. By contrast, doesn't wrestling have something like 15 weight divisions? Too much for me to keep track of. But, what I notice about wrestling is that they have like three mats at States, right? That means there could be three different matches going-on at the same time, so you could be watching three matches simultaneously. In basketball and soccer, you can't watch more than one game at a time. But what I like about those three wrestling mats is that I've noticed that each mat is from a different school. So, you have three different schools represented by the three different mats, and those mats are usually in school colors, and each mat usually has the school's insignia on it somewhere. Therefore you're reminded of each school because you see their mats while you're watching the matches.)

OldManJenkins
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:36 am

Re: 2019-2020 Wrestling Season

Post by OldManJenkins »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:44 pm
Kamehameha swept the boys' and girls' titles in the ILH, and Moanalua swept the boys' and girls' titles in the OIA. Which school is favored in States? Will it be a "clash of the titans" between those two schools? How do they stack-up against each other? Is a neighbor-island school also in the mix? Isn't Lahainaluna supposed to be tough, especially the girls? (Sorry, I don't follow wrestling as closely as I follow basketball and soccer. Wrestling seems too complicated; there are all those different weight divisions and resultant individual champs. In basketball and soccer, there aren't different weight divisions and individual champs. There's only D1 and D2; just those two categories to deal with. Well, ILH basketball also has a D3. By contrast, doesn't wrestling have something like 15 weight divisions? Too much for me to keep track of. But, what I notice about wrestling is that they have like three mats at States, right? That means there could be three different matches going-on at the same time, so you could be watching three matches simultaneously. In basketball and soccer, you can't watch more than one game at a time. But what I like about those three wrestling mats is that I've noticed that each mat is from a different school. So, you have three different schools represented by the three different mats, and those mats are usually in school colors, and each mat usually has the school's insignia on it somewhere. Therefore you're reminded of each school because you see their mats while you're watching the matches.)
This is wrestling, please keep your balls to yourself.

On another note what's up with all this drama with the Lee girl from Mililani? It's clogging up my social feeds with a bunch of crying and moaning.
The Almighty GrumpyOldManJenkins coaching from right field

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3400
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Wrestling Season

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@OldManJenkins: Well, wasn't there a lot about wrestling in my post? Anyway, which school(s) are you picking for States? I'm not at all into the individual weight classes, but I'm interested in team results (predictions).

Rds
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:30 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Wrestling Season

Post by Rds »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:44 pm
Kamehameha swept the boys' and girls' titles in the ILH, and Moanalua swept the boys' and girls' titles in the OIA. Which school is favored in States? Will it be a "clash of the titans" between those two schools? How do they stack-up against each other? Is a neighbor-island school also in the mix? Isn't Lahainaluna supposed to be tough, especially the girls? (Sorry, I don't follow wrestling as closely as I follow basketball and soccer. Wrestling seems too complicated; there are all those different weight divisions and resultant individual champs. In basketball and soccer, there aren't different weight divisions and individual champs. There's only D1 and D2; just those two categories to deal with. Well, ILH basketball also has a D3. By contrast, doesn't wrestling have something like 15 weight divisions? Too much for me to keep track of. But, what I notice about wrestling is that they have like three mats at States, right? That means there could be three different matches going-on at the same time, so you could be watching three matches simultaneously. In basketball and soccer, you can't watch more than one game at a time. But what I like about those three wrestling mats is that I've noticed that each mat is from a different school. So, you have three different schools represented by the three different mats, and those mats are usually in school colors, and each mat usually has the school's insignia on it somewhere. Therefore you're reminded of each school because you see their mats while you're watching the matches.)
There's actually 6 matches going on @ the same time until the Championship matches then they set up 3 mats with your champion match in the center & placer matches on the sides

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3400
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Wrestling Season

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@Rds: You're a wrestling fan too, right? Which school(s) is/are your pick(s) for States? (Boys and girls.)

Rds
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:30 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Wrestling Season

Post by Rds »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:21 pm
@Rds: You're a wrestling fan too, right? Which school(s) is/are your pick(s) for States? (Boys and girls.)
Kamehameha for the boys
Moanalua or Campbell for the girls

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 3400
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: 2019-2020 Wrestling Season

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Rds wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:08 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:21 pm
@Rds: You're a wrestling fan too, right? Which school(s) is/are your pick(s) for States? (Boys and girls.)
Kamehameha for the boys
Moanalua or Campbell for the girls
@Rds: Thanks. I'm not really a wrestling fan; all I know is Kamehameha and Moanalua swept their respective league titles, boys' and girls'. I had no idea the Campbell girls were tough.

Post Reply