Time to grade Rolovich's midterm/finals

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Time to grade Rolovich's midterm/finals

Post by WarriorTyme »

Rolo has done a good job so far and he definitely deserves to be the Hawaii Football Head Coach.

He has some coaching losses that have hurt and the loss of Chris Naole coaching and recruiting the O-Line was huge.

Hiring Cory Batoon as Defensive Coordinator was a winner... Keep up the good work Defensive Coaches and build up the Hawaii D in year 2 of Batoon. I still don't know why Tony Tuioti isn't on Rolo Staff in some capacity... he could find and recruit some diamonds in the ruff.

Defense Grade this season C+ and year 3 under HC Rolo C-

Offense has gone through transitions over the past 3 years and is finally getting back to 4 wide receiver offense principles. The O-Line and running has got to improve or the opponent Defenses will drop 6-8 in coverage fire zone defense. I still think the offense has got to utilize the mobility of the QB's in designed run plays to the outside not just up the middle. Hawaii has got to figure out how to do a shovel pass or even an old fashion screen pass. I understand the RB needs to block but having the RB rub block and sit as a check down pass would help stop the rush.

I've said this before but Mouse Davis working with the Wide Receivers would make a huge difference in Hawaii RnS. And maybe get one of those Eastern Washington Offensive Coaches to help mix up the Hawaii Offense schemes... Rolo has done good job but I think Stutz and Brian Smith need some help.

Offense grade this season C and year 3 under HC Rolo C-

Special Teams has improved (Well the Field Goal kicking game has improved dramatically) but the special teams had a new coach this season and has improved throughout this year.

Special Teams grade this season a C and year 3 under HC Rolo C-

Recruiting B and development of players B by the Hawaii coaches

In Rolo first year Hawaii did win the Hawaii Bowl and finish 7-7 even. Rolo 2nd year was not so great. With the amount of transfers and losses after last season I thought this year would have been a 4-5 win rebuilding year. So this years very young team has exceeded my expectations and the young men need to hit the gym and workout to build up strength and cardio to build up stamina for next season brutal schedule. No more getting man handled on the O-line and D-line by physical superiority teams and lack of speed by other team speed burners. Improve tackling and route running and the most important no knuckle headed moments like penalties, off season suspensions and bad grades.

Lots of room for improvement by both the coaches and players.

Overall Grade this season C and year 3 under HC Rolo C-

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Palolo_2LA
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: A's
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Palolo_2LA »

I long for the days when Big 10 and Pac 10 teams paid out instead of playing UH. Rolo needs to instill that fear again. I hear JJ is stepped down from Head Coach to OC in Canada, so could we get him as a consultant/assistant? The weather in Hawaii is better, JJ already got $$$ and is more connected to UH. #dreamingofadreamteam
Be humble and confident in yourself and all things you do. :zook:

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

B+ considering the circumstances. Warriors ranked in the 120s in returning experience going into 2018. Vegas o/u on wins was 3/5. Beating those expectations from neutrals with a very young team should be commended.

...but I agree with Waryor, can't go with A- or better cause let's be real, the team also got their faces kicked in by superior competition. As I said in another post, Hawaii graduated from being bad to good, but isn't great. Much improvement is required to win 8 games again next season considering the significant spike in difficulty for the schedule.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Palolo_2LA wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:32 am I hear JJ is stepped down from Head Coach to OC in Canada, so could we get him as a consultant/assistant? The weather in Hawaii is better, JJ already got $$$ and is more connected to UH. #dreamingofadreamteam
I think the OC, DC and assistant coaches are more fun. They get to think and talk about football all day. HC got to deal with soap in the locker room showers. I can see why "football guys" would not want the HC job, especially today.

I think JJ's best years are behind him, even as a consultant. The magic was 10 years ago. IMO, JJ need to take his place in history, in UH history as GOAT. Enjoy the beach. Show up once in a while.

I see JJ like Micheal Jordan in some way. His legacy is better if he "stays" away.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

The B+ grade was for the team compared to how they were predicted to perform back in April.

Remember that grades are subject to how each team was predicated to fare back in August

The subject of this post was to grade Rolo. I agree that this team performed much better then what we all predicted but the B+ has nothing to do with how well the coached performed. Cole, Ursua, Ward, Byrd, Chevan and many others performed much better then expected and resulted in wins on the road and against teams that we were expected to lose to.

Overall, best case, Rolo gets a C+ from me. He did some good things. However, there were games we should have won and lost because of coaching decisions, play calling and game planning and there is a lot of room for improvement.

I am anxious to see how much he has learned and what improvements he makes in 2019.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

TheDuke wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:20 pm The B+ grade was for the team compared to how they were predicted to perform back in April.

Remember that grades are subject to how each team was predicated to fare back in August

The subject of this post was to grade Rolo. I agree that this team performed much better then what we all predicted but the B+ has nothing to do with how well the coached performed. Cole, Ursua, Ward, Byrd, Chevan and many others performed much better then expected and resulted in wins on the road and against teams that we were expected to lose to.

Overall, best case, Rolo gets a C+ from me. He did some good things. However, there were games we should have won and lost because of coaching decisions, play calling and game planning and there is a lot of room for improvement.

I am anxious to see how much he has learned and what improvements he makes in 2019.
Agree 100%

I too want to see what adjustments are made. It seems as though our game planning/play calling/strategy's stuck in 2nd and 3rd gear. Our OC thinks the base RPO's good enough to counter every defense.

The LaTech game was a perfect example of being out coached. We knew going into the game that LaTech had a D and a pass rush. We knew about #45, Ferguson. Did our play calling help to slow that pass rush? No. Did the game plan call for counters to the pass rush? No. Any screens, roll-outs etc...? I saw 3rd and long, and the D pinning its ears back and teeing off on our offense. We dropped back to pass for deep routes that took time to develop—the play calls played right into the hands of the LaTech D.

The BYU game we were stuck in first gear, ran the RPO to nauseam. When we finally went to the 4 and 5 wide we moved the ball and got into rhythm, but then the play calls went back to the RPO. That showed a bit of cluelessness on our offensive coaches. IMO
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

WarriorTyme wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:12 am
Special Teams has improved (Well the Field Goal kicking game has improved dramatically) but the special teams had a new coach this season and has improved throughout this year.

Special Teams grade this season a C and year 3 under HC Rolo C-
Rigo Sanchez was a starter for the play-off Colts this year.

This year we were 15 of 18 for field goal attempts with a 4th down conversion hungry coach. Dunno...I saw better coverage on kick-off returns and less returns for us. I'd give 'em a B.

Markazulu
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Markazulu »

I give rolo overall performance B+
He has done wonderful on and off the field. He has done some questionable play calls here and there but I can appreciate the aggressive undertone for alot of his decisions.
-Beating San Diego at there place on national tv.
- improvements on the d and special teams
-we were pretty disciplined for most of the year except that la tech game
- had a wr lead the nation in td catches
- our QBs have both been efficient 42 TDs 12 ints is a very good stat. Cole had 36 TDs and chevan 6 TDs including 3 crucial ones in the 4th against unlv
-pretty high 4th down conversion rate but also means alot of failed 3rd down conversions.
-average 41 points a game according to espn scored 55 TDs all year

All in all it's been a pretty magnificent year. Alot of room for improvement but I'm enjoying the rolo era a hell of a lot more than the chow era.
Bowl eligible 2 out of 3 years 1-1
I feel like we have performed pretty good on the road under rolo. Favorite games so far on the road is the air force win in 2016 and the San Diego st/ san Jose st/ Colorado st 2018 win

Anyways I'm rambling hope to see improvement by all. Still wishing on some swing passes to the running back lol but I digress. Go warriors.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

Markazulu wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:40 am I give rolo overall performance B+
He has done wonderful on and off the field. He has done some questionable play calls here and there but I can appreciate the aggressive undertone for alot of his decisions.
-Beating San Diego at there place on national tv.
- improvements on the d and special teams
-we were pretty disciplined for most of the year except that la tech game
- had a wr lead the nation in td catches
- our QBs have both been efficient 42 TDs 12 ints is a very good stat. Cole had 36 TDs and chevan 6 TDs including 3 crucial ones in the 4th against unlv
-pretty high 4th down conversion rate but also means alot of failed 3rd down conversions.
-average 41 points a game according to espn scored 55 TDs all year

All in all it's been a pretty magnificent year. Alot of room for improvement but I'm enjoying the rolo era a hell of a lot more than the chow era.
Bowl eligible 2 out of 3 years 1-1
I feel like we have performed pretty good on the road under rolo. Favorite games so far on the road is the air force win in 2016 and the San Diego st/ san Jose st/ Colorado st 2018 win

Anyways I'm rambling hope to see improvement by all. Still wishing on some swing passes to the running back lol but I digress. Go warriors.
Great points! and I too would like to see swing passes to the RB. Our Warrior offensive playbook for the most part have been on lockdown. lol
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.