Post BYU Game Thoughts?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post BYU Game Thoughts?

Post by WarriorTyme »

Some of the reasons why BYU won so dominantly?

BYU Head Coach Kalani Sitake said after the beating #6 Wisconsin at Wisconsin that he told the Football team to hit the GYM and work out and get stronger and faster. And BYU will be able to beat ranked P5 teams and they did.

Last night, 25 year old, 6’9″ 280lbs DE/LB Corbin Kaufusi was the assigned to spy on Cole McDonald by trying to knock down passes and contain McDonald. And he was athletic enough to disrupt McDonald and big enough to aid in stopping Furuta as well.

The BYU O-line averaged 6’5″ 310lbs with only 1 Senior starting and the backups average is bigger than the starters. The middle of the D-line has guys that are 330lbs and 340lbs. We all watched the game BYU didn’t look like a bunch of big fat slow O-lineman or D-lineman.

Yes, we all know BYU Football players are way older than anybody else they play, because they go on mission for a couple of years before they attended BYU and play college football. And BYU just out played physical/athletic/speed/size and out coached scheme and play calling Hawaii. BYU Defended Home Field.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Post BYU Game Thoughts?

Post by WarriorTyme »

Some of the reasons why Hawaii lost and got dominated?

The athletic Hawaii Warrior team is still young and needs time to get in the GYM and workout to get bigger, stronger and faster. The team has a good training table and treating the team to an occasional hot dog or an expensive over priced Chick-fil-a chicken sandwich is not going to make a difference, I did say occasional, not every meal.

BYU left their starters in all game to hold off Hawaii late attempt at a comeback.

While the coaches have recruited some athletic studs, these Warriors that represent and play for Hawaii and their families are still young athletic studs that need time to grow. And the coaches will have to recruit even more athletic studs from where ever they can get them.

This a good experience for the young Warriors of Hawaii, they needed to be reminded they have a lot of work to do to compete against every type of team. The sky is not falling like some folks think, but rather the young team and coaches are building experience.

Fresno State has Hawaii scheduled as their cupcake easy win Homecoming Game as well.

Nevada is next.

Go Warriors of Hawaii!

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Well we all know that everyone is dropping eight. What are we doing to adjust? we’ve known this for awhile and the coaches have’t adjusted the game plan I like Furuta but he limits our options. No speed, can’t beat a linebacker, not a pass option. He is either going to run or block. He is a great punishing runner in the right situation. coaches haven’t had a great game plan for the last four games and they made decisions that have been costly in every game. Many that could have cost us wins. coaching needs to improve.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

We finish 9-4. 10-4 if you include bowl game.

We are not good enough to win our last two road games.

For whatever reason, the fans are not coming back to the program in numbers. We will still have abysmal attendance at the stadium

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

TheDuke wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:01 am Well we all know that everyone is dropping eight. What are we doing to adjust? we’ve known this for awhile and the coaches have’t adjusted the game plan I like Furuta but he limits our options. No speed, can’t beat a linebacker, not a pass option. He is either going to run or block. He is a great punishing runner in the right situation. coaches haven’t had a great game plan for the last four games and they made decisions that have been costly in every game. Many that could have cost us wins. coaching needs to improve.
We're trying to run more when they drop 8. We just haven't been too successful running. Maybe we need to go more empty set.
ImageImage

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

Irse wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:45 am
TheDuke wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:01 am Well we all know that everyone is dropping eight. What are we doing to adjust? we’ve known this for awhile and the coaches have’t adjusted the game plan I like Furuta but he limits our options. No speed, can’t beat a linebacker, not a pass option. He is either going to run or block. He is a great punishing runner in the right situation. coaches haven’t had a great game plan for the last four games and they made decisions that have been costly in every game. Many that could have cost us wins. coaching needs to improve.
We're trying to run more when they drop 8. We just haven't been too successful running. Maybe we need to go more empty set.
That's what the ESPN color man said. It was working in giving Cole time to pass and run if he saw the opening. Then they went back to the single setback and the color man said its not working. It's kind of frustrating to agree with what the guy is saying on tv.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

It would have been interesting to see BYU play Army or UCF and see how these teams do. BYU came into the game with offensive line which is the trademark of the Wisconsin teams. BYU could have beaten half of the Big-10 teams but it would have been boring games to watch.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

As we did last year with Dru we are still running the RPO. With Dru we basically handed off the ball. What gave success early on this year was Cole running the ball. In the first half it looked more like last year. In the 2nd half when Cole ran it opened things up. As I have said in past games teams are spying our qbs and putting defenders in our passing lane forcing our qb to try to throw around or over them. BYU had the 6’9” talent to do this plus a strong pass rush. Our running game went downhill even with Furuta back there. I don’t know why we tried other backs if Furuta could not get the yards. He’s the only one who can break tackles and runs with power. But BYU was just too tough to run the ball the way we did. Against more physically developed teams like BYU we can’t continue to do the same things. Everyone knew that the second half of the season would be really tough. I just hope that the loss to Army doesn’t come back to bite us. To Rolo no more slow starts please.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

6-2 is not that bad for a team vegas gave a 3.5 win at the beginning of the season. disappointing to have game announcers point out how effective the empty set was and then to have it suddenly evaporate.

still games ahead that look winnable.

put it to bed. get ready for nevada and 7-2.

see you at the stadium. hope to see the empty set there too.

Maui Boy in Alaska
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Bears

Post by Maui Boy in Alaska »

6-2 is a good record. However, what is telling is the records of the teams UH has wins over. Not counting Duquesne, they all have a combined losing record of 8-25 overall. That is pretty bad and telling, that UH has not beat anyone of note or who has a good team.

BYU might have been 3-3 coming into the game, but they played against a hard schedule and were battle tested. BYU was the better team and had more size, speed, and the better OL and DL. What last year and this year's games against BYU have shown is the need to recruit more size and speed on the DL and just more talent on the OL.

Moreover, UH has some hard games ahead with Utah St, @Fresno St and @San Diego St, all who will have winning records when they play UH. I see UH going 0-3 against these teams. What saves UH 2018 season is the home games again Nevada and coming off a bye week, the home game against UNLV.

I have UH finishing 8-5 and earning a trip to the Hawaii bowl. Which given how young this team is and all the new starters we had to start the season, is a really good season.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

Notice how almost every passing team in the MWC has 5+ receivers and Hawaii which passes a lot only has 5 receivers (maybe with someone out of the backfield). BYU had 8, Nevada with Ty Gangi had 9, Utah State had 7, Fresno State had 9. After a while I think the DBs get to understand the basic 4 receivers and how they move.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

byu's not a bad team they're 4-3 with the 5th most difficult schedule, their big loss to utah state is more about utah state's strength than byu's weakness. nice to see the empty set wrinkle, the other team later adjusted appropriately after getting blown away by it for a handful of series. they had their chances to keep the game close in the second half. need to keep expanding the playbook and continue to get better game to game to keep getting wins

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by shrek2 »

I like the fact that UH went for two when scoring their last touchdown but I would have like to have seen more creativeness on the two point conversion like putting in Cordeiro on a quarterback rollout with Torres in at tight end. The Ursua sweep was diagnosed early because you knew that Ursua and McDonald were go to guys.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

beating a 8 man deep isn't about just running the ball with Furuta. Very predictable. They shut him down. It is about stretching the field, misdirection, motion, tempo, flares, quick tosses,outside option with a speed back.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Empty set worked on one series. Then Rolo stopped using it and it didn't come back. Why?

One-time shovel pass to Furuta worked. Then never saw it again. Why?

RPO with an injured quarterback who almost rarely ran. Why?

Absolutely manhandled on defense. No surprise there.

BYU students out in force and engaged in the game. I'm sure that the school didn't serve them any alcohol to entice them to show up.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.