Post Duquesne Game Thoughts?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post Duquesne Game Thoughts?

Post by WarriorTyme »

Maybe I missed something? Was there a bunch of injuries?

I did notice that there were some football players that don’t usually get a lot of playing time, getting a lot of playing time in the 1st Quarter?

I understand Hawaii was playing a FCS team at home and it would be a good time to build depth. But probably better to put in the starters first build a solid lead, then get everyone some playing time.

IMHO, those 1st Quarter miscues are on the coaches, the coaches preached to the team to take FCS Duquesne seriously. But to put in some of the back ups from the beginning of the game does not show that the coaches gave FCS Duquesne much respect.

I could be wrong and way off, but thats how the optics look last night.

Speaking of optics… The 4-1winning record, Hawaii Warriors did look good in black & green! And good job on comeback win.

However, San Jose State is no push over at home, historically SJSU gives Hawaii a tooth & nail fight at San Jose State.

Work Grind/Earn Respect

Alive Aloha/Play Warrior

Play Swag/Go Warriors!

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Post Duquesne Game Thoughts?

Post by My3Cats »

A win is win, no matter how sloppy or uninspiring. This team is not good enough to take anyone lightly. Duquesne came out ready to play ball.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Clippers

Post by stranger808 »

This was a good wake-up call for our team. Don't sleep on any opponent. I missed the game (work) but heard some of it on the radio. I saw the news highlights, the green uniforms look good too. The only comment I have as I didn't see the game. lol

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

I heard Peni went down, not sure what happened and haven't heard/read anything since the game.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

I am imagining that the number of almost interceptions was an indicator that the other team figured Cole out. Maybe just lucky? Penalties? Why? I guess they seemed to get it together after a while. Jhalani Tavai seemed to have a good game.
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

honu888
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by honu888 »

WarriorTyme wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:56 am
However, San Jose State is no push over at home, historically SJSU gives Hawaii a tooth & nail fight at San Jose State.
And they are coming off of a bye week so they have lots of time to watch film on the Warriors and work on their schemes. Cole and Co. will need to bring their "A" game for sure.

stranger808
All-conference
All-conference

Post by stranger808 »

WarriorTyme wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:56 am Maybe I missed something? Was there a bunch of injuries?

I did notice that there were some football players that don’t usually get a lot of playing time, getting a lot of playing time in the 1st Quarter?

I understand Hawaii was playing a FCS team at home and it would be a good time to build depth. But probably better to put in the starters first build a solid lead, then get everyone some playing time.

IMHO, those 1st Quarter miscues are on the coaches, the coaches preached to the team to take FCS Duquesne seriously. But to put in some of the back ups from the beginning of the game does not show that the coaches gave FCS Duquesne much respect.

I could be wrong and way off, but thats how the optics look last night.

Speaking of optics… The 4-1winning record, Hawaii Warriors did look good in black & green! And good job on comeback win.

Work Grind/Earn Respect

Alive Aloha/Play Warrior

Play Swag/Go Warriors!
I felt the same way, but was waiting to find out why some of our starters were held out. I said after the Army game, I thought the coaches got too cute on who should start. Start who got you to 3-0 is what I wrote. Never mind getting cute and putting in a bigger wide out when the other guy is better. It will be interesting to hear the logic of holding out Ursua/Byrd and whom ever else sat in the opening moments of quarter #1.
No mattah how critical, I support da coach, Rolo. I love what he doing wit Da WARRIORS.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Good, Hawaii had to come back from 14 points down. Fumbles and picks happen to the best of us. It's how the team responds is what matters...and they responded with 42 points! We've got a good balance of running, option, short pass, and long pass. I like that the TD's are being spread liberally across the team.

Our defense is still young. I like what I see individually at times but the defense is a unit. It seems they still gotta jell as a unit....or is it that the coaches gotta make 'em fit? IDK.

It's been many years since we've been 4-1.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

dakineguy wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:08 pm I am imagining that the number of almost interceptions was an indicator that the other team figured Cole out. Maybe just lucky? Penalties? Why? I guess they seemed to get it together after a while. Jhalani Tavai seemed to have a good game.
They weren’t just figuring Colt out. They were smart to put defenders in our passing lanes. Cole had to throw over defenders out stretched hands. Probably why some of his passes were so high.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

SundayJam wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:39 pm Good, Hawaii had to come back from 14 points down. Fumbles and picks happen to the best of us. It's how the team responds is what matters...and they responded with 42 points! We've got a good balance of running, option, short pass, and long pass. I like that the TD's are being spread liberally across the team.

Our defense is still young. I like what I see individually at times but the defense is a unit. It seems they still gotta jell as a unit....or is it that the coaches gotta make 'em fit? IDK.

It's been many years since we've been 4-1.
Our defense young or not did a really good job. What I liked about this game is the many looks our defense produced. We had many players making plays. Our 2 starting tackles owned the inside. They could not run inside the tackles. I like how they moved Tavai to the outside. Any time you can hold the other team to 24 yards rushing it is huge. I like how our defense is coming along.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

The Hawaii Special Teams was big a concern in the beginning and in various other points of this game.

The Hawaii team had way to many mental mistakes, ball security & penalties this was not a cleanly executed win against a FCS opponent.

We as fans are proud of the young men on fighting back, no quit attitude/swag, but it's MWC conference play against SJSU next game. Believe that SJSU at home with the bye week will watch film, scheme and be hungry to try knock off the 4-1 Hawaii Warriors.

Hawaii will a slim favorite to win against SJSU, but got to stay hungry & disciplined. To get respect got to give respect and earn it.

Live Aloha/Play Warrior

Work Grind/Play Swag/Earn Respect/Go Warriors!

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

A lot more of dropped passes and missed.

Is it me, or do you guys see it too. It seems like Cole's throws got a lot more zip, and lot more speed, than the first few games, in this game to be specific. I've said his throws were a bit better than Brown. But watching yesterday's game, the speed of the ball seems as fast as Chang and Moniz.

Perhaps the receivers were not "used to" catching his balls with more zip in the throw?

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

When the camera pan across the football Alumnus, Colt Brennan caught my attention. Not because he is the GOAT QB for Hawaii, but he was standing (look like) by himself, alone, not talking to anyone, expression-less, and looks like he was lost, or can I say this, he looks sad.

Yes, there were other former greats. They look happy, enjoying themselves, or even look like they were taking-it-all-in to be back at Aloha Stadium, in front of fans, and enjoying it with their kids, like a "celebration."

Is Colt Brennan ok? I not saying you guys know him personally, but Hawaii is a small state. People see things, word gets around. Everyone sort of know everyone.

I understand physically, he can't play, and even if he can, that ship has sailed. Just interested in what he is doing? Does he work? Have a job?

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:24 am When the camera pan across the football Alumnus, Colt Brennan caught my attention. Not because he is the GOAT QB for Hawaii, but he was standing (look like) by himself, alone, not talking to anyone, expression-less, and looks like he was lost, or can I say this, he looks sad.

Yes, there were other former greats. They look happy, enjoying themselves, or even look like they were taking-it-all-in to be back at Aloha Stadium, in front of fans, and enjoying it with their kids, like a "celebration."

Is Colt Brennan ok? I not saying you guys know him personally, but Hawaii is a small state. People see things, word gets around. Everyone sort of know everyone.

I understand physically, he can't play, and even if he can, that ship has sailed. Just interested in what he is doing? Does he work? Have a job?
According to Tsai's blog, he reported that Colt has some medical issues. Maybe that had something to do with it. Saw him earlier in the day and he looked fine. Did not look depressed.
ImageImage

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

If we satrt off playing like last week, we'll get our butts kicked.
ImageImage