unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Message
Author
User avatar
Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
Posts: 302
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:51 am

Re: unpaid D-I football

#676 Post by Markeke » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:51 pm

The old Miami teams were good but undisciplined. When Notre Dame played them it was dubbed "Catholics vs.Convicts". Notice the top 5 college teams don't condone "idividualist" but more team concept.

HS Football Fanatic
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2515
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: unpaid D-I football

#677 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:58 pm

Markeke wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:51 pm
The old Miami teams were good but undisciplined. When Notre Dame played them it was dubbed "Catholics vs.Convicts". Notice the top 5 college teams don't condone "idividualist" but more team concept.
@Markeke: Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at. When I was in high school in the mid-'70s, there was a notion that players aren't supposed to be showy, or draw too much attention to themselves. Some high schools today are offering those gold chains for INTs. I long for a simpler, more unpretentious time when coaches made it a point to take a player down a peg or two when he got too big-headed. Now they're offering those big gold chains for INTs? I don't know, there's something about that that bothers me. I think those chains might go to a player's head. Why can't a big play be its own reward, like the good ol' days?

genks
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
Posts: 479
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:55 pm

Re: unpaid D-I football

#678 Post by genks » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:14 pm

Markeke wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:51 pm
The old Miami teams were good but undisciplined. When Notre Dame played them it was dubbed "Catholics vs.Convicts". Notice the top 5 college teams don't condone "idividualist" but more team concept.
You know that the number 1 college team in the country has a turnover belt?

genks
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
Posts: 479
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:55 pm

Re: unpaid D-I football

#679 Post by genks » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:20 pm

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:58 pm
Markeke wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:51 pm
The old Miami teams were good but undisciplined. When Notre Dame played them it was dubbed "Catholics vs.Convicts". Notice the top 5 college teams don't condone "idividualist" but more team concept.
@Markeke: Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at. When I was in high school in the mid-'70s, there was a notion that players aren't supposed to be showy, or draw too much attention to themselves. Some high schools today are offering those gold chains for INTs. I long for a simpler, more unpretentious time when coaches made it a point to take a player down a peg or two when he got too big-headed. Now they're offering those big gold chains for INTs? I don't know, there's something about that that bothers me. I think those chains might go to a player's head. Why can't a big play be its own reward, like the good ol' days?
You don’t even watch the games anyway so how can it bother you?

Look, you guys want to mention flexing and turnover chains. How about poor losers and picking fights because your team got blown out. How’s that for discipline.

genks
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
Posts: 479
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:55 pm

Re: unpaid D-I football

#680 Post by genks » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:04 pm

Coach Vinny Passas is in NY for the Heisman ceremony for the 2nd time in 4 years to support one of his students. Unbelievable.

HS Football Fanatic
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2515
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: unpaid D-I football

#681 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:49 pm

genks wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:14 pm
Markeke wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:51 pm
The old Miami teams were good but undisciplined. When Notre Dame played them it was dubbed "Catholics vs.Convicts". Notice the top 5 college teams don't condone "idividualist" but more team concept.
You know that the number 1 college team in the country has a turnover belt?
@genks: I can't speak for Markeke, but I don't care for 'Bama, either. I mean, there are other colleges I dislike more than them, but I don't care for 'Bama. So, I'm not impressed by their practice of awarding turnover belts.

HS Football Fanatic
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2515
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: unpaid D-I football

#682 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:50 pm

genks wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:20 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:58 pm
Markeke wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:51 pm
The old Miami teams were good but undisciplined. When Notre Dame played them it was dubbed "Catholics vs.Convicts". Notice the top 5 college teams don't condone "idividualist" but more team concept.
@Markeke: Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at. When I was in high school in the mid-'70s, there was a notion that players aren't supposed to be showy, or draw too much attention to themselves. Some high schools today are offering those gold chains for INTs. I long for a simpler, more unpretentious time when coaches made it a point to take a player down a peg or two when he got too big-headed. Now they're offering those big gold chains for INTs? I don't know, there's something about that that bothers me. I think those chains might go to a player's head. Why can't a big play be its own reward, like the good ol' days?
You don’t even watch the games anyway so how can it bother you?

Look, you guys want to mention flexing and turnover chains. How about poor losers and picking fights because your team got blown out. How’s that for discipline.
@genks: Oh, I watch the games if they're on OC16. Regarding poor losers picking fights, yes, I condemn that, too. But I think Markeke and I stand shoulder-to-shoulder when we frown upon personal ostentation in high school football. I don't know how old Markeke is, but when I was in high school in the mid-'70s, personal ostentation in sports was frowned upon. It was a simpler, more humble time. Sometimes I think schools need to go back to those days.

User avatar
Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
Posts: 302
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:51 am

Re: unpaid D-I football

#683 Post by Markeke » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Lol, just saying as old timers, these showy examples like HS fanatic talked about, was not looked upon during the 70's. Just humble opinions. Sheez. Good year Tua. Get better.

HS Football Fanatic
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2515
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: unpaid D-I football

#684 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:03 pm

Markeke wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:57 pm
Lol, just saying as old timers, these showy examples like HS fanatic talked about, was not looked upon during the 70's. Just humble opinions. Sheez. Good year Tua. Get better.
@Markeke: Oh, so you were in high school in the mid-'70s, too? Welcome, fellow child of the '70s!

User avatar
Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
Posts: 302
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:51 am

Re: unpaid D-I football

#685 Post by Markeke » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:25 pm

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:03 pm
Markeke wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:57 pm
Lol, just saying as old timers, these showy examples like HS fanatic talked about, was not looked upon during the 70's. Just humble opinions. Sheez. Good year Tua. Get better.
@Markeke: Oh, so you were in high school in the mid-'70s, too? Welcome, fellow child of the '70s!
Actually late 60's...the old ILH.

genks
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
Posts: 479
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:55 pm

Re: unpaid D-I football

#686 Post by genks » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:45 pm

Hope Tua can get better for OU. He will definitely be motivated after today. Kyler is a great player and very impressive 2 sport athlete

HS Football Fanatic
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2515
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: unpaid D-I football

#687 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:57 pm

Markeke wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:25 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:03 pm
Markeke wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:57 pm
Lol, just saying as old timers, these showy examples like HS fanatic talked about, was not looked upon during the 70's. Just humble opinions. Sheez. Good year Tua. Get better.
@Markeke: Oh, so you were in high school in the mid-'70s, too? Welcome, fellow child of the '70s!
Actually late 60's...the old ILH.
@Markeke: Whoa! Late '60s?! I give you credit for being on this site. Sometimes I feel too old to be on this site.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FlyingSquirrel808, Google [Bot] and 55 guests