unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
genks
Starter
Starter

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by genks »

Markeke wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:30 pm IMHO, the only ILH team that qualifies for D2 is Pac5. In order for the ILH to have 2 teams in the Open championships, ILH Open can add Iolani and Damien. St.Francis is a better fit in D1. In the Open, I think Damien and Iolani could hold up better then Waianae and Farrington. The ILH can only negotiate in the Open rules with more teams in that pot. 5/5, 10 teams,top 4 goes State,all win /lost record count, all cancellations re-scheduled. Yeah,too easy right?
If we judge teams by the way they win or lose to the rest of the competition, Iolani most definitely should be in the open. They are torching almost every team they play. Weren’t they even lower in D2 last year playing Lahainaluna? Damien seems to be in the right place.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Lahainaluna also needs to move up

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

If somebody even suggested that Iolani play in the open, their coach would kick and scream. Even though they’d beat and maybe crush Farrington and Waianae. I think that we offered to play them this year to keep our rivalry with them going and he outright refused.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

genks wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:42 pm Lahainaluna also needs to move up
True on that. They beating MIL's 2 D1 teams all the time. And they do have a bonified program going.

kanakattack
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by kanakattack »

In the open division, they need to go back to 2 ILH teams and 4 OIA teams in states. The only way to do this is by adding teams. Here is what that would look like.

ILH Open
St. Louis
Punahou
Kamehameha
Iolani
OIA Open
Kahuku
Mililani
Campbell
Kapolei
Farrington
Waianae
Leilehua

10 game regular season. Let's go!!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

Gopunahou mentioned that Iolani would fight against this even tho they’ve been winning by big margins in D1. I’d be all for it. Iolani would get beat up by STL, Punahou and Kam.

I don’t know if Leilehua should go back up or maybe Farrington and Leilehua should be D1. Farrington seems to have Kapoleis number some how for a few years now, even tho Kapolei May have a much better roster. Kapolei the biggest loser this season losing QB1, QB2, WR1,WR2 all to transferring. Not to mention the losses to graduation

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

genks wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:39 pm Gopunahou mentioned that Iolani would fight against this even tho they’ve been winning by big margins in D1. I’d be all for it. Iolani would get beat up by STL, Punahou and Kam.

I don’t know if Leilehua should go back up or maybe Farrington and Leilehua should be D1. Farrington seems to have Kapoleis number some how for a few years now, even tho Kapolei May have a much better roster. Kapolei the biggest loser this season losing QB1, QB2, WR1,WR2 all to transferring. Not to mention the losses to graduation
As much as KSK has struggled against us and SLS, they can take solace in the fact that they’ve never finished below Iolani in like forever. We couldn’t say that in 1997 and 1998 (we even tied with them between 1999 and 2001).
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

You know,
I always back Kam saying they don’t get the respect they deserve. I say if they got a good qb they could’ve won a lot of close games, defense is very tough, etc. But when the offense and special teams give up 3 turnovers 21 points in the first quarter, geez what can you say

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

genks wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:38 pm You know,
I always back Kam saying they don’t get the respect they deserve. I say if they got a good qb they could’ve won a lot of close games, defense is very tough, etc. But when the offense and special teams give up 3 turnovers 21 points in the first quarter, geez what can you say
Exactly. This is the opposite of what happened last year—when they capitalized on numerous turnovers of ours. This has been a disaster with another turnover in their territory.

I wonder if playing SLS last week is affecting them tonight.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:42 pm
genks wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:38 pm You know,
Exactly. This is the opposite of what happened last year—when they capitalized on numerous turnovers of ours. This has been a disaster with another turnover in their territory.

I wonder if playing SLS last week is affecting them tonight.
I just read about the second fumble. Wow

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

KSK’s defense is making Brady look like Tua

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:28 pm KSK’s defense is making Brady look like Tua
Did they pull Brady already? HPW play by play has Muasau leading a TD drive

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

genks wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:36 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:28 pm KSK’s defense is making Brady look like Tua
NBC 1500 is saying that he suffered a slight injury but came back and completed some passes. With the score being 35-0, you can bet our coaches wish to save him for SLS. Hopefully he can work his magic against you guys. And yes, he will play. :D

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:52 pm
genks wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:36 pm
NBC 1500 is saying that he suffered a slight injury but came back and completed some passes. With the score being 35-0, you can bet our coaches wish to save him for SLS. Hopefully he can work his magic against you guys. And yes, he will play. :D
Ahahah glad to hear he’s not hurt. There’s a few guys that play up front that’s dying to give him a big hug :lol:

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

genks wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:25 pm
unpaid wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:05 pm It always comes down to wins and losses plus timing. I think Moanalua and Leilehua at 8-0,8-2 would stand a chance against Campbell and Kahuku at 6-3,5-3. Moanalua has a better defense than they get credit for,especially that D-line of theirs,QB is solid and has plenty of receivers. Trequan Henderson is a lockdown corner.Leilehua got off to a rocky start but McGary is back and Nichols has more command of the offense.I compare that to the last three weeks and Campbell and Kahuku have been losing and seem to have lost their way on offense.

A team is what its record says it is and Campbell is 6-3 and Kahuku is 5-3. It's easier for me to rank a team higher when they win.It' easier for me to rank a team lower when they lose. No mystery there.
This brings up something interesting about rankings when you lump different divisions together.

I completely disagree with the idea that Moanalua would be competitive against Kahuku. Moanalua is benefiting from much better pairings in Div 1 rather than playing Mililani, Kahuku, etc.

Styles make fights, same for football. I think Moanalua could definitely have a competitive game with Campbell because of the style of play, plus Campbell isn’t really a big team size wise. Moanalua is ranked above Kam and Kahuku but I do NOT believe they would be competitive. Both play big boy football, using bigger boys than Moanalua has. Plus unlike Farrington and Waianae, they have the defense to stop a passing offense that’s not a top level offense.

Mixing divisions in rankings gets very tricky. Rankings based on record alone will show teams from lower divisions ranked about upper divisions. But upper divisions have tougher competition. So even a 6-2 team may beat a 8-0 lower div team and it may not really be an upset. Kahuku lost to Campbell, Mililani and St Louis. Moanalua is undefeated because they do not have to play Mililani and St Louis
@genks: I think you're absolutely correct about the danger of ranking schools based on record alone, when the schools come from different divisions. For example, despite Moanalua's great record, I think they should not be ranked ahead of Kahuku or Kamehameha. Since Moanalua is in D1, they don't have to play Kahuku or Kamehameha, which are in Open. If Moanalua did, I think they would lose to both schools.