Longest offseason ever - random UHFB chat thread

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Message
Author
poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 5307
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:15 pm

Longest offseason ever - random UHFB chat thread

#1 Post by poidog » Mon May 14, 2018 9:15 am

THIS OFFSEASON IS DRAGGING!!!! someone talk about something UH football-related to help us pass the time!

I guess I'll start it off... If you could pick any 4 receivers from UH past and present to run your 4-wide offense, who would you pick?

User avatar
ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2399
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:03 am
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, HOU
Location: uɹɐqɹǝqṉ
Contact:

Re: Longest offseason ever - random UHFB chat thread

#2 Post by ubercow » Mon May 14, 2018 11:39 am

yes, longest offseason ever. off the top of my head, owens+bess at slot, lelie+salas on the outside

User avatar
stranger808
Starter
Starter
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:33 am
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Lakers

Re: Longest offseason ever - random UHFB chat thread

#3 Post by stranger808 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:13 pm

I would pick as my four WR. Not necessarily the best, but the ones I would like to see catch the ball.

1st team:
WR-Ashley Lelie
SR-Chad Owens
SR-Davone Bess
WR-Walter Murray

2nd team:
WR-Jason Rivers
SR-Ryan Grice-Mullen
SR- Greg Salas
WR- Jeremiah Cockheran

3rd team:
WR-DeWayne Jett
SR-Kealoha Pilares
SR-Justin Colbert
WR- Marcus Kemp

User avatar
stranger808
Starter
Starter
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:33 am
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Lakers

Re: Longest offseason ever - random UHFB chat thread

#4 Post by stranger808 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:18 pm

ubercow wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:39 am
yes, longest offseason ever. off the top of my head, owens+bess at slot, lelie+salas on the outside
what makes it a longer off season for me is no real news about Hawaii football, zero. I know other universities have year round news about their football team. They're the smart ones to keep the program on the fan's minds. The football program's normally the biggest money maker for universities, unless you're Lousville, Kentucky, Duke etc...

User avatar
honu888
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:02 pm
Location: Kaneohe

Re: Longest offseason ever - random UHFB chat thread

#5 Post by honu888 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:16 pm

stranger808 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:18 pm
ubercow wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:39 am
yes, longest offseason ever. off the top of my head, owens+bess at slot, lelie+salas on the outside
what makes it a longer off season for me is no real news about Hawaii football, zero. I know other universities have year round news about their football team. They're the smart ones to keep the program on the fan's minds. The football program's normally the biggest money maker for universities, unless you're Lousville, Kentucky, Duke etc...
No news is good news. In recent off seasons all we got was bad news about players getting in to trouble and getting kicked off the team, Injuries, New coaches leaving after a weeks time etc...So no news is good news to me. But I have to agree with the WR choices above. I would probably add someone like Malcolm Lane just to mix it up who by the way I thought was a pretty good KO returner. No one will ever be even close to Owens but Lane had to have been a far second. To bad he didn't complete his football career here.

st808
Pine rider
Pine rider
Posts: 261
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Longest offseason ever - random UHFB chat thread

#6 Post by st808 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:53 pm

1. george ornellas: speed, guts, elusive, flashy, yac-man. too bad the coaches weren't up to his level of play. never forgave the u.h. for losing him.

2. greg salas: good hands, strong yac-man attitude.

3. chad owens: speed, durability, been there and did it over and over. nice kicking too.

4. ashley lelie: speed, open, good hands, knows where the goal line is.

User avatar
Maui Boy in Alaska
Pine rider
Pine rider
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:21 pm
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Bears
Location: Kotzebue, Alaska

Re: Longest offseason ever - random UHFB chat thread

#7 Post by Maui Boy in Alaska » Tue May 15, 2018 10:24 am

My list of top WR and SB/SR for UH

1st team:
WR - Ashley Lelie (1st Rd Draft Pick)
SR - Chad Owens (CFL MOP)
SR - Davone Bess (Might have been the most talented R UH has ever had)
WR - Jason Rivers (Best in the big games and bowl games. Performance in 2006 Hawaii bowls is why I put him on 1st team)

2nd team:
WR - Walter Murray (First really big time WR for UH)
SR - Jeff Snyder (Was only 5'6 yet spent 4 years in the NFL and was electric for UH from 89 - 91) *1990 TD against BYU still one of my all-time favorites
SR - Greg Salas (His SR year was something special in 2010)
WR- Chris Roscoe (87 - 89 had 108 rec, averaging 21 yards per rec and 22 TD) *He and Jeff would have exploded in the R&S

3rd team:
WR - Marcus Kemp (Never had great play at the QB position during his career or numbers would have been better)
SR - Kealoha Pilares (Just an exciting player)
SR - Ryan Grice-Mullen (Injuries at the wrong time kept him out of the NFL and cut his pro career short)
WR - Darrick Branch (89-92, play at a time when UH mainly ran the ball, yet averaged 19.9 yards per rec and had a TD in the Holiday Bowl)

User avatar
stranger808
Starter
Starter
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:33 am
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Lakers

Re: Longest offseason ever - random UHFB chat thread

#8 Post by stranger808 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:56 pm

honu888 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:16 pm
stranger808 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:18 pm
ubercow wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:39 am
yes, longest offseason ever. off the top of my head, owens+bess at slot, lelie+salas on the outside
what makes it a longer off season for me is no real news about Hawaii football, zero. I know other universities have year round news about their football team. They're the smart ones to keep the program on the fan's minds. The football program's normally the biggest money maker for universities, unless you're Lousville, Kentucky, Duke etc...
No news is good news. In recent off seasons all we got was bad news about players getting in to trouble and getting kicked off the team, Injuries, New coaches leaving after a weeks time etc...So no news is good news to me. But I have to agree with the WR choices above. I would probably add someone like Malcolm Lane just to mix it up who by the way I thought was a pretty good KO returner. No one will ever be even close to Owens but Lane had to have been a far second. To bad he didn't complete his football career here.
I forgot about Malcolm Lane. good size, speed. returned kicks as a true freshman. he had some very long returns for TDs and also some nice, long receptions for TDs throughout his career. redshirted his senior season for academics and never returned. I wonder whatever happened to him? The dude played HS ball in Europe as an American student in the DODDS school system, fell thru the cracks as a recruit. the UH coaches got a call from a friend about Lane's situation, and UH gave him a late scholarship, sight unseen. if I remember right. His mom was a sergeant in the Army?

User avatar
stranger808
Starter
Starter
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:33 am
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Lakers

Re: Longest offseason ever - random UHFB chat thread

#9 Post by stranger808 » Tue May 15, 2018 3:08 pm

okay. question. I thought it was mentioned 2 seasons ago UH would be getting newly designed uniforms, am I mistaken? Also, this is going on 5 years with the same uniform, is this the longest since 2000 that we haven't had a uniform redesign?

IMO, the JJ era had the best uniforms, even the all whites with silver numbers and silver helmets were better than todays.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 5307
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:15 pm

Re: Longest offseason ever - random UHFB chat thread

#10 Post by poidog » Wed May 16, 2018 5:16 pm

st808 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 10:53 pm
1. george ornellas: speed, guts, elusive, flashy, yac-man. too bad the coaches weren't up to his level of play. never forgave the u.h. for losing him.

2. greg salas: good hands, strong yac-man attitude.

3. chad owens: speed, durability, been there and did it over and over. nice kicking too.

4. ashley lelie: speed, open, good hands, knows where the goal line is.
George Ornellas was so good... But I heard that he never went to class and just disappeared one day.

User avatar
stranger808
Starter
Starter
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:33 am
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Lakers

Re: Longest offseason ever - random UHFB chat thread

#11 Post by stranger808 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:30 pm

" I'm just tired, man. I have no fun out there, no drive. I've kind of lost the desire to play."

http://archives.starbulletin.com/96/11/ ... tever.html

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 5307
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:15 pm

Re: Longest offseason ever - random UHFB chat thread

#12 Post by poidog » Wed May 16, 2018 7:47 pm

stranger808 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 3:08 pm
okay. question. I thought it was mentioned 2 seasons ago UH would be getting newly designed uniforms, am I mistaken? Also, this is going on 5 years with the same uniform, is this the longest since 2000 that we haven't had a uniform redesign?

IMO, the JJ era had the best uniforms, even the all whites with silver numbers and silver helmets were better than todays.
we probably need to move away from UA at some point. at least the volleyball team could go back to Asics if we did.

gopunahou
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2667
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: Longest offseason ever - random UHFB chat thread

#13 Post by gopunahou » Thu May 17, 2018 1:53 am

poidog wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:47 pm
stranger808 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 3:08 pm
okay. question. I thought it was mentioned 2 seasons ago UH would be getting newly designed uniforms, am I mistaken? Also, this is going on 5 years with the same uniform, is this the longest since 2000 that we haven't had a uniform redesign?

IMO, the JJ era had the best uniforms, even the all whites with silver numbers and silver helmets were better than todays.
we probably need to move away from UA at some point. at least the volleyball team could go back to Asics if we did.
IIRC, the 2000-2007 teams wore the same black, green, and white uniforms. The only changes between that time were the white uniforms with silver numbers, silver helmets, and silver pants.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

I am Big Dog!
But you can call me STL79!
Or auffrey78!
Or auffrey79!
Oh well, what I really am is an elitist!

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Posts: 5307
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:15 pm

Re: Longest offseason ever - random UHFB chat thread

#14 Post by poidog » Fri May 18, 2018 7:49 am

so, who's going to road games this year?

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter
Posts: 656
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:22 pm

Re: Longest offseason ever - random UHFB chat thread

#15 Post by wailukuwarriorfan » Fri May 18, 2018 9:29 pm

Usually look forward to the UNLV game so I can go to a UH football road game and visit Vegas. If the MW conference wanted a higher ticket count, they should alternate Nevada and UNLV playing UH away each year.
UH Football road Warriors could go to Vegas or Reno every year.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dakineguy, Google [Bot], HawaiianHogster, Hilorains and 95 guests