Football Off-season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Football Off-season

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Looks like Sol-Jay is moving to the mainland for sure. I just saw where St. John's in the Washington DC area added him to their roster. Good luck Sol-Jay, thank you for your 2 years at Kahuku.
St John's looks like a solid program. The education and exposure Sol-Jay will get there is tremendous.

RRFL!!!

Straightupkanakz
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Football Off-season

Post by Straightupkanakz »

Great for soljay and best of luck to him. But sucks knowing what kahuku could've been with him and the returnees that they have. Bad timing too with the merger with the ILH but oh well life goes on and now the playing field just got even.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

rrforlifebaby wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:42 am Looks like Sol-Jay is moving to the mainland for sure. I just saw where St. John's in the Washington DC area added him to their roster. Good luck Sol-Jay, thank you for your 2 years at Kahuku.
St John's looks like a solid program. The education and exposure Sol-Jay will get there is tremendous.

RRFL!!!
@rrforlifebaby: OK, does Kahuku have a QB capable enough to replace him?

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

All the way to DC? What's the connection there? That's a far trek.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Not sure what the connection is to the DC area, but the school looks pretty solid. They played some really good teams last year, with only 2 losses coming to national powers De La Salle and SBJ.

As far as having another qb, you can never replace an athlete like Sol-Jay, but it is Kahuku....athletes galore. The upcoming JV qb is more than capable and last years back up is just as athletic, not as fast, but just as athletic.

RRFL!!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

rrforlifebaby wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:47 pm Not sure what the connection is to the DC area, but the school looks pretty solid. They played some really good teams last year, with only 2 losses coming to national powers De La Salle and SBJ.

As far as having another qb, you can never replace an athlete like Sol-Jay, but it is Kahuku....athletes galore. The upcoming JV qb is more than capable and last years back up is just as athletic, not as fast, but just as athletic.

RRFL!!
@rrforlifebaby: OK, good. At this point, there seem to be three or four schools that have a genuine shot at the state Open title. Of those three or four schools, Kahuku is the school I like most, so I'm rooting for them. Already.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:58 pm
rrforlifebaby wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:47 pm Not sure what the connection is to the DC area, but the school looks pretty solid. They played some really good teams last year, with only 2 losses coming to national powers De La Salle and SBJ.

RRFL!!
@rrforlifebaby: OK, good. At this point, there seem to be three or four schools that have a genuine shot at the state Open title. Of those three or four schools, Kahuku is the school I like most, so I'm rooting for them. Already.
Who would that be? Kahuku, Saint Louis, Mililani, again fo sure. Campbell maybe? They still all hype so far though.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:16 pm

RRFL!!
Who would that be? Kahuku, Saint Louis, Mililani, again fo sure. Campbell maybe? They still all hype so far though.
@Neighbor: You came very close. I was thinking Kahuku, Punahou, Mililani, and Campbell. St Louis? Well, they're losing so many starters to graduation that I didn't really include them. To be perfectly honest, I don't want to include them. If Mililani or Campbell takes it, well, I can live with that. But, I really don't want to see Punahou or St Louis take it. Not those two schools.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

With the new merger, it looks like 9 open teams. That would give everyone 8 games against different opponents each week. If the ILH will count loses against OIA teams, then really anyone of the 3 teams in the ILH maybe outright ILH champ at the end. At the most, 1 post Championship for ILH. This might also get rid of the brutal OIA playoffs. Hopefully State Open finals have 2 finalist who have a nine game regular season. Would ILH teams travel to Kahuku or Waianae?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:57 pm With the new merger, it looks like 9 open teams. That would give everyone 8 games against different opponents each week. If the ILH will count loses against OIA teams, then really anyone of the 3 teams in the ILH maybe outright ILH champ at the end. At the most, 1 post Championship for ILH. This might also get rid of the brutal OIA playoffs. Hopefully State Open finals have 2 finalist who have a nine game regular season. Would ILH teams travel to Kahuku or Waianae?
@Markeke: I don't see why they wouldn't. Over the past five years I recall St Louis traveling to Kahuku and Waianae, for preseason games.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

[/quote]

@Markeke: I don't see why they wouldn't. Over the past five years I recall St Louis traveling to Kahuku and Waianae, for preseason games.
[/quote] These are different times. Regular season. I'm thinking ILH wants games at Aloha and OIA can play at OIA schools.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ILH teams might be willing to play at OIA fields, but the HHSAA might want as many Open Division games @ Aloha Stadium as possible. The goal is to bring in fans, which they think this merger will do.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Markeke wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:04 pm
[/quote] These are different times. Regular season. I'm thinking ILH wants games at Aloha and OIA can play at OIA schools.
[/quote]

@Markeke: What about Kamehameha Schools' stadium? They have a stadium with lights, so they play night games there.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:32 am
Markeke wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:04 pm
These are different times. Regular season. I'm thinking ILH wants games at Aloha and OIA can play at OIA schools.
[/quote]

@Markeke: What about Kamehameha Schools' stadium? They have a stadium with lights, so they play night games there.
[/quote]

Aloha Stadium still best seats and parking. I prefer to has STL play as many games as possible at Aloha Stadium because you can’t beat the view, parking, etc.

This year we went to Waianae for the first game of STL’s season. I will say, Waianae benefited from that being Chevan’s first start as the leader of the offense. He definetly looked nervous, despite destroying Waianae. Had that been a regular season game, say 3 or 4 games in, Chev would’ve really lit them up. Well, worse than he did.

Honestly I don’t feel there is a huge disadvantage to traveling in Hawaii. The longest commute is still nothing compared to what mainland schools do. The crappiest part of playing @ schools like Kahuku, Waianae, etc. is the drive home after you’re tired from work, then game.

genks
Starter
Starter

Post by genks »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:28 pm
Neighbor wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:16 pm

@Neighbor: You came very close. I was thinking Kahuku, Punahou, Mililani, and Campbell. St Louis? Well, they're losing so many starters to graduation that I didn't really include them. To be perfectly honest, I don't want to include them. If Mililani or Campbell takes it, well, I can live with that. But, I really don't want to see Punahou or St Louis take it. Not those two schools.
Do you really believe that St Louis doesn’t have a genuine shot at repeating but Campbell has a shot to take it? Yeah losing all those starters sucks. But it’s not like the entire team left and the 3rd team offense and defense is taking over next year. Hell most starters were off the field by half time or end of 3rd quarter in most games.

Before last year, did anyone know Mitchel Quinn? How about Jordan Botelho? Or how about Sykes? Or did anyone (other than those who knew about him of course) take Chevan serious as a qb coming in after Tua?

You can have an opinion and that’s cool, I’m just making an argument for my team.