Travel/Food Blog

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Travel/Food Blog

Post by ubercow »

Hey, just wanted to put it out there that I started up a travel/food blog. The concept came about because I was talking with a coworker about something I ate on a recent trip and they said: "you should write a blog". Not the most exciting of origin stories, but the gears started turning because my first thought wasn't about writing but rather "any travel/eating I do could now potentially be used as a tax write-off", so mission accomplished! :lol:

So anyway, check it out at: https://ubercow.com/b/category/ifbth/ and if anyone reads travel or food blogs, let me know what some good ones are so I can check it out and look for tips. Thanks.

Kailuaboy
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Travel/Food Blog

Post by Kailuaboy »

Cool, excellent writing man. Maybe later on could you add some video too?

I love watching the Travel Channel - especially the various programs by Andrew Zimmern.
It would be cool if you add a short video showing you enjoying the food you're writing about. :thumbup:
ImageImageImageImage

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ubercow »

thanks. I may add small clips later but doing video is a _lot_ of editing work and lots of people on tv and youtube already do a good job.

I like zimmern's newer show better than his older one, less eating of just the absolute weirdest things in each locale.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

I like it
ImageImage

Mr.EDGE808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Mr.EDGE808 »

Irse wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:36 amI like it
Irse man...you're gonna hold on to YOUR CUBS 2016 World Champions Avatar for as long as you can, huh? :lol:
Because in my mind,it's always clear...evil thoughts that twist my mind into despair- Iron Maiden

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ubercow »

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Mr.EDGE808 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:42 pm
Irse wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:36 amI like it
Irse man...you're gonna hold on to YOUR CUBS 2016 World Champions Avatar for as long as you can, huh? :lol:
I missed this post. Yes I am. Had to wait 40+ years to see one. Might as well keep it for as long as I can. :D
ImageImage

Paul B
All-American
All-American

Post by Paul B »

Bruddah, Ubercow, good stuff! My son is stationed in the Navy in Japan so I'll send him your travel/food blog. Keep writing. I'm listening and reading! :hello1:

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ubercow »

Paul B wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:04 pm Bruddah, Ubercow, good stuff! My son is stationed in the Navy in Japan so I'll send him your travel/food blog. Keep writing. I'm listening and reading! :hello1:
Thanks. if he's out at yokosuka, iron chef chinese chen kenichi has a nice mapo tofu shop i'd recommend in nearby yokohama/minatomirai if he likes spicy chinese food
( 陳建一 麻婆豆腐店 みなとみらい - Chen Kenichi Mapo-tofu Restaurant Minato-Mirai)

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ubercow »

Wrote a bit more, took a break during the pandemic, then started back up again. Might try to get a blog post out about Lahaina Noon in the next couple weeks.

The posts below about Chen Kenichi mapo tofu and Hawaii McDonalds have been pretty popular.

Chen Kenichi Mapo Tofu Recipe
Hawaii’s McDonalds is Better Than Your McDonalds
The Legend of Hayashi Rice
Getting Your Hands on Good Beer in Hawaii

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I really like Hayashi Rice. While growing up, my mom made it with the S&B brand roux on several occasions. I had forgotten about it until many years later I purchased the S&B and made it for me and my wife. Wifey liked it so I have made it several times since then. And my mother-in-law likes it too. They lived in Okinawa for many years but they never ate it, probably more of a regional dish and not known in Okinawa. The best is when you are able to find a really good cut of beef that does not have any gristle, such as the tenderloin (filet mignon), or even Prime boneless short rib. Makes the dish more expensive, but worth it.

Thanks ubercow!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ubercow »

My3Cats wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:21 am I really like Hayashi Rice. While growing up, my mom made it with the S&B brand roux on several occasions. I had forgotten about it until many years later I purchased the S&B and made it for me and my wife. Wifey liked it so I have made it several times since then. And my mother-in-law likes it too. They lived in Okinawa for many years but they never ate it, probably more of a regional dish and not known in Okinawa. The best is when you are able to find a really good cut of beef that does not have any gristle, such as the tenderloin (filet mignon), or even Prime boneless short rib. Makes the dish more expensive, but worth it.

Thanks ubercow!
mm, I also eat those S&B/House hayashi rice packs every so often at home, good stuff. I've seen it in several areas of Japan, you'll typically find hayashi rice in yoshoku (western food) restaurants. in Hawaii it's pretty rare, I used to get it at Yajima-ya when it used to be the food truck, and I think yoshoku ginza bairin in Waikiki (next to the tonkatsu place) serves it now, but I haven't been there yet.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

ubercow wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:20 am
My3Cats wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:21 am I really like Hayashi Rice. While growing up, my mom made it with the S&B brand roux on several occasions. I had forgotten about it until many years later I purchased the S&B and made it for me and my wife. Wifey liked it so I have made it several times since then. And my mother-in-law likes it too. They lived in Okinawa for many years but they never ate it, probably more of a regional dish and not known in Okinawa. The best is when you are able to find a really good cut of beef that does not have any gristle, such as the tenderloin (filet mignon), or even Prime boneless short rib. Makes the dish more expensive, but worth it.

Thanks ubercow!
mm, I also eat those S&B/House hayashi rice packs every so often at home, good stuff. I've seen it in several areas of Japan, you'll typically find hayashi rice in yoshoku (western food) restaurants. in Hawaii it's pretty rare, I used to get it at Yajima-ya when it used to be the food truck, and I think yoshoku ginza bairin in Waikiki (next to the tonkatsu place) serves it now, but I haven't been there yet.
I just looked up the Yoshoku Ginza Bairin menu and could not help but notice that their Hayashi Rice is $20.00. Probably not quite as tasty as theirs, but making the S&B at home would be way less expensive, and can serve four or five people. I had Googled a recipe and it looks fairly simple, so maybe someday when I feel like doing it the old school way (no pre-made roux) I will make it from scratch.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ubercow »

My3Cats wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:28 am

Thanks ubercow!
I just looked up the Yoshoku Ginza Bairin menu and could not help but notice that their Hayashi Rice is $20.00. Probably not quite as tasty as theirs, but making the S&B at home would be way less expensive, and can serve four or five people. I had Googled a recipe and it looks fairly simple, so maybe someday when I feel like doing it the old school way (no pre-made roux) I will make it from scratch.
yeah, it's a bit pricey for yoshoku which is why I haven't gone there yet. I do hit up the tonkatsu place next door as a treat at least a couple times per year tho.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

ubercow wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:52 pm
My3Cats wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:28 am

yeah, it's a bit pricey for yoshoku which is why I haven't gone there yet. I do hit up the tonkatsu place next door as a treat at least a couple times per year tho.
I would really love to sample Ginza Bairin's tonkatsu someday, but driving from Mililani to Waikiki is not one of my favorite things to do. Making tonkatsu at home is messy and you have to open up the house to ventilate anytime anything gets deep fried. Can't remember the last time that I made tonkatsu.