Maybe a grad transfer QB

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Message
Author
User avatar
Irse
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11858
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:06 pm
MLB: Cubs
NBA: Rockets/Grizzlies
NFL: Cowboys
Location: Mililani, HI

Maybe a grad transfer QB

#1 Post by Irse » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:29 pm

And while one player is leaving Hawaii, another one is coming in. Kolney Cassel is taking a grad transfer from Sacramento State to play his final year of college football in the system he started his career in. Cassel originally signed up to play quarterback at SMU, but transferred following a coaching change. And now, Hawaii is bringing back the Run 'N Shoot, and Cassel is well versed in the system. According to our source, Cassel will enroll this summer. However, he'll be on the field this fall.
https://gradtransfertracker.com/the-lat ... d-tranfers

Has hardly played the last two years
Image

User avatar
stranger808
Play Maker
Play Maker
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:33 am
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Lakers

Re: Maybe a grad transfer QB

#2 Post by stranger808 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:47 pm

"High School: Graduated from Eisenhower HS in Yakima, Wash., in 2013…was a three-star recruit by Rivals.com, had a two-star evaluation from Scout.com…was named all-West Region by PrepStar despite playing just five games as a senior…completed 98-of-178 passes for 1,448 yards and 19 touchdowns as a senior…as a junior in 2011, he threw for 2,697 yards and 27 touchdowns while completing 155-of-265 attempts…was named first team all-Big 9 following both seasons and was also selected all-Columbia Basin."

http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/fbal ... olney_v6mb

User avatar
stranger808
Play Maker
Play Maker
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:33 am
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Lakers

Re: Maybe a grad transfer QB

#3 Post by stranger808 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:48 pm

A older arm, maybe a good mentor for the younger guns coming in. IDK

User avatar
BigWave96744
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 21500
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:37 pm
MLB: Yankees
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Dolphins

Re: Maybe a grad transfer QB

#4 Post by BigWave96744 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:30 am

Hmmm, pass on a slew of BSC Grad transfer QBs, some who even started, and now bring in a backup FCS QB?

?????? :-?

User avatar
Irse
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11858
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:06 pm
MLB: Cubs
NBA: Rockets/Grizzlies
NFL: Cowboys
Location: Mililani, HI

Re: Maybe a grad transfer QB

#5 Post by Irse » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:37 pm

Not a scholarship guy
Image

User avatar
BigWave96744
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 21500
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:37 pm
MLB: Yankees
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Dolphins

Re: Maybe a grad transfer QB

#6 Post by BigWave96744 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:05 pm

Irse wrote:Not a scholarship guy
Yes, but we need a QB who can challenge the 2 HS QBs to start. We have enough other QBs, no?
Stephen Tsai wrote:The Warriors have five quarterbacks on their spring roster: Cole McDonald, Larry Tuileta, Jeremy Moussa, Kyle Gallup and Justin Uahinui. Saint Louis School senior Chevan Cordeiro joins in June.

User avatar
stranger808
Play Maker
Play Maker
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:33 am
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Lakers

Re: Maybe a grad transfer QB

#7 Post by stranger808 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:16 pm

Irse wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:29 pm
And while one player is leaving Hawaii, another one is coming in. Kolney Cassel is taking a grad transfer from Sacramento State to play his final year of college football in the system he started his career in. Cassel originally signed up to play quarterback at SMU, but transferred following a coaching change. And now, Hawaii is bringing back the Run 'N Shoot, and Cassel is well versed in the system. According to our source, Cassel will enroll this summer. However, he'll be on the field this fall.
https://gradtransfertracker.com/the-lat ... d-tranfers

Has hardly played the last two years
nice job, you got/found this information before any Hawaii reporters got wind of it. lol

User avatar
stranger808
Play Maker
Play Maker
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:33 am
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Lakers

Re: Maybe a grad transfer QB

#8 Post by stranger808 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:18 pm

BigWave96744 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:05 pm
Irse wrote:Not a scholarship guy
Yes, but we need a QB who can challenge the 2 HS QBs to start. We have enough other QBs, no?
Stephen Tsai wrote:The Warriors have five quarterbacks on their spring roster: Cole McDonald, Larry Tuileta, Jeremy Moussa, Kyle Gallup and Justin Uahinui. Saint Louis School senior Chevan Cordeiro joins in June.
according to June Jones, the kid has a good arm. knows the system. if anything, he can mentor the other QBs. It's not like we have the pick of the litter.

User avatar
Irse
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11858
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:06 pm
MLB: Cubs
NBA: Rockets/Grizzlies
NFL: Cowboys
Location: Mililani, HI

Re: Maybe a grad transfer QB

#9 Post by Irse » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:58 pm

BigWave96744 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:05 pm
Irse wrote:Not a scholarship guy
Yes, but we need a QB who can challenge the 2 HS QBs to start. We have enough other QBs, no?
Stephen Tsai wrote:The Warriors have five quarterbacks on their spring roster: Cole McDonald, Larry Tuileta, Jeremy Moussa, Kyle Gallup and Justin Uahinui. Saint Louis School senior Chevan Cordeiro joins in June.
We have no more initials to give out. We needed the last couple to be DTs to make up for the losses.

Plus I don't know how quick a QB that comes in for fall camp can pick up the RnS offense. It seems like it takes a year before they're any good at it.
Image

User avatar
uhwarriors
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10042
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Honolulu

Re: Maybe a grad transfer QB

#10 Post by uhwarriors » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:54 pm

Irse wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:58 pm
BigWave96744 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:05 pm
Irse wrote:Not a scholarship guy
Yes, but we need a QB who can challenge the 2 HS QBs to start. We have enough other QBs, no?
Stephen Tsai wrote:The Warriors have five quarterbacks on their spring roster: Cole McDonald, Larry Tuileta, Jeremy Moussa, Kyle Gallup and Justin Uahinui. Saint Louis School senior Chevan Cordeiro joins in June.
We have no more initials to give out. We needed the last couple to be DTs to make up for the losses.

Plus I don't know how quick a QB that comes in for fall camp can pick up the RnS offense. It seems like it takes a year before they're any good at it.
You're right. A QB without a RNS background and no spring practice is not going to pickup enough of the RNS system in fall camp to be able to compete for the position. Early enrollee Moussa will participate in spring practice and will get a head start on learning the offense. Cassel has 2 years of RNS at SMU. Cordeiro has at least 3 years of it at St. Louis. With their RNS backgrounds, Cordeiro and Cassel conceivably can make up ground during fall camp and compete for the position. Any other QB entering during fall camp just won't be able to catch up. Tuileta coming in only during the fall last year is a good example.

User avatar
BigWave96744
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 21500
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:37 pm
MLB: Yankees
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Dolphins

Re: Maybe a grad transfer QB

#11 Post by BigWave96744 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:12 am

stranger808 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:48 pm
maybe a good mentor for the younger guns coming in. IDK
That's what a QB coach is for......

But when you have a former Oline guy as your OC, former WR as your QB coach, you put Hunter Hughes and Tuileta on scholie to mentor QBs.

User avatar
stranger808
Play Maker
Play Maker
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:33 am
MLB: Rangers
NBA: Lakers

Re: Maybe a grad transfer QB

#12 Post by stranger808 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:30 am

BigWave96744 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:12 am
stranger808 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:48 pm
maybe a good mentor for the younger guns coming in. IDK
That's what a QB coach is for......

But when you have a former Oline guy as your OC, former WR as your QB coach, you put Hunter Hughes and Tuileta on scholie to mentor QBs.
Mentor, as in, mentor the younger guys in the Four-Wide/R-N-S. This grad transfer has college experience in the R-N-S/Four-Wide, where as Tuileta and Hughes have none.

User avatar
My3Cats
All-American
All-American
Posts: 1725
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:36 am
Location: Mililani, HI

Re: Maybe a grad transfer QB

#13 Post by My3Cats » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:49 pm

I don't see a problem if he can help in any way possible. He's paying his own way.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

User avatar
Irse
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11858
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:06 pm
MLB: Cubs
NBA: Rockets/Grizzlies
NFL: Cowboys
Location: Mililani, HI

Re: Maybe a grad transfer QB

#14 Post by Irse » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:55 pm

BigWave96744 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:12 am
stranger808 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:48 pm
maybe a good mentor for the younger guns coming in. IDK
That's what a QB coach is for......

But when you have a former Oline guy as your OC, former WR as your QB coach, you put Hunter Hughes and Tuileta on scholie to mentor QBs.
I wanted to see Morrison return as a QB coach.
Image

User avatar
BigWave96744
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 21500
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:37 pm
MLB: Yankees
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Dolphins

Re: Maybe a grad transfer QB

#15 Post by BigWave96744 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:27 pm

Irse wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:55 pm
BigWave96744 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:12 am
stranger808 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:48 pm
maybe a good mentor for the younger guns coming in. IDK
That's what a QB coach is for......

But when you have a former Oline guy as your OC, former WR as your QB coach, you put Hunter Hughes and Tuileta on scholie to mentor QBs.
I wanted to see Morrison return as a QB coach.
That would have been awesome.
Just never want to see a Grad Assistant or first year coach ever coaching the QBs again

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 85 guests