Meet Sterling Carvalho--the new head coach of Kahuku Football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Message
Author
gopunahou
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2788
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Meet Sterling Carvalho--the new head coach of Kahuku Football

#1 Post by gopunahou » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:38 pm

Kahuku should still contend with their returning talent, but can Carvalho take them to the top? And will he last since coaching turnover seems to be a theme on the North Shore?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2464
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Meet Sterling Carvalho--the new head coach of Kahuku Football

#2 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:28 pm

gopunahou wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:38 pm
Kahuku should still contend with their returning talent, but can Carvalho take them to the top? And will he last since coaching turnover seems to be a theme on the North Shore?
@gopunahou: Yeah, I saw the story on ScoringLive earlier today. Carvalho was their JV coach the last three years, and just last season they finished second. Really, when a school has five different coaches in six years, something is wrong. I suspect there's some kind of dysfunction in the Kahuku Athletic Dept. Kahuku alumni should look into the matter.

soleu
Pine rider
Pine rider
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:40 am

Re: Meet Sterling Carvalho--the new head coach of Kahuku Football

#3 Post by soleu » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:32 pm

gopunahou wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:38 pm
Kahuku should still contend with their returning talent, but can Carvalho take them to the top? And will he last since coaching turnover seems to be a theme on the North Shore?
The theme is lose and you're out. It's been like that since 2011. I wonder if anyone in the office got the axe for the 2010 fallout. Regardless, that's a horrible way to treat under-payed and over-worked employees.

HS Football Fanatic
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2464
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Meet Sterling Carvalho--the new head coach of Kahuku Football

#4 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:26 am

soleu wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:32 pm
gopunahou wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:38 pm
Kahuku should still contend with their returning talent, but can Carvalho take them to the top? And will he last since coaching turnover seems to be a theme on the North Shore?
The theme is lose and you're out. It's been like that since 2011. I wonder if anyone in the office got the axe for the 2010 fallout. Regardless, that's a horrible way to treat under-payed and over-worked employees.
@soleu: Agree. Again, I can't think of any other school that had five different coaches in six years. I personally know some high-school coaches, and the kind of crap they have to deal with, as coaches, is mind-boggling. I still think Kahuku alumni should ask their alma mater's athletic department some questions.

teamhawaii
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:52 pm
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: L.A. Lakers
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Re: Meet Sterling Carvalho--the new head coach of Kahuku Football

#5 Post by teamhawaii » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:13 pm

Congrats Coach Sterling!

He's been doing a great job on JV, hard to speak about consistency but at least the boys have something to build on from the JV years.

Sad to see Coach Freitas leave, he did nothing but great things stepping in and coaching these boys. Wish him nothing but the best!

But regardless of whose the coach, these athletes from Kahuku are going to ball out.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2101
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:03 pm

Re: Meet Sterling Carvalho--the new head coach of Kahuku Football

#6 Post by unpaid » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:28 am

It will be interesting to see if Coach Carvalho is one and done as HC after the 2018 season.

Even the kids don't have to return,they can transfer to another school.

Different times now.

EITSwarrior
All-American
All-American
Posts: 1645
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Meet Sterling Carvalho--the new head coach of Kahuku Football

#7 Post by EITSwarrior » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:54 pm

I don’t know if it’s just the athletic department. I think input from the NS community is driving some of these decisions at the school.

teamhawaii
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:52 pm
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: L.A. Lakers
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Re: Meet Sterling Carvalho--the new head coach of Kahuku Football

#8 Post by teamhawaii » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:11 pm

unpaid wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:28 am
It will be interesting to see if Coach Carvalho is one and done as HC after the 2018 season.

Even the kids don't have to return,they can transfer to another school.

Different times now.
At this point, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they chose a new coach for next year. It seems like anything less than a state championship is a failure.

I'm actually surprise that the transfer rate isn't higher at Kahuku with everything that is going on (coaching). It kinda speaks volume about how loyal some of these kids/families are towards Kahuku. It's really nice to see. But transfer or not, Kahuku should be alright
Varsity (A lot of '19 '20 starters coming back)
JV (Lost in the Championship vs. Mililani)
Laie Park (Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they won the Championship for the Winter Season)
Fortunately, they definitely got the "next man up" depth

HS Football Fanatic
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2464
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Meet Sterling Carvalho--the new head coach of Kahuku Football

#9 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:30 pm

EITSwarrior wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:54 pm
I don’t know if it’s just the athletic department. I think input from the NS community is driving some of these decisions at the school.
@EITSwarrior: That's a possibility. However, at some point, I think the Kahuku AD needs to put her foot down and say, Look, I'M the AD. Also, I think the only two groups that should have a say are ALUMNI, and PARENTS of players. I really don't think that it should be enough that you live on the North Shore. For example, if I'm a Punahou alumnus who happens to live on the North Shore, and my boy isn't even ON the Kahuku team, why should I have a say?

HS Football Fanatic
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2464
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Meet Sterling Carvalho--the new head coach of Kahuku Football

#10 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:35 pm

teamhawaii wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:11 pm
unpaid wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:28 am
It will be interesting to see if Coach Carvalho is one and done as HC after the 2018 season.

Even the kids don't have to return,they can transfer to another school.

Different times now.
At this point, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they chose a new coach for next year. It seems like anything less than a state championship is a failure.

I'm actually surprise that the transfer rate isn't higher at Kahuku with everything that is going on (coaching). It kinda speaks volume about how loyal some of these kids/families are towards Kahuku. It's really nice to see. But transfer or not, Kahuku should be alright
Varsity (A lot of '19 '20 starters coming back)
JV (Lost in the Championship vs. Mililani)
Laie Park (Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they won the Championship for the Winter Season)
Fortunately, they definitely got the "next man up" depth
@teamhawaii: I agree that Kahuku has more talent for the upcoming season than does any other school. Having said that, I still think Kahuku should have kept Freitas. This isn't a knock against Carvalho; what I'm saying is that Freitas brought them to within 38 seconds of the D1 state title. They'll have many returnees; why make a change NOW? The vars players had acclimatized themselves to Freitas' system. Now they'll have to learn a different one? Kahuku alumni must be scratching their heads. I mean, like they say, "Dance with the one who brung ya."

EITSwarrior
All-American
All-American
Posts: 1645
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Meet Sterling Carvalho--the new head coach of Kahuku Football

#11 Post by EITSwarrior » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:00 pm

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:30 pm
EITSwarrior wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:54 pm
I don’t know if it’s just the athletic department. I think input from the NS community is driving some of these decisions at the school.
@EITSwarrior: That's a possibility. However, at some point, I think the Kahuku AD needs to put her foot down and say, Look, I'M the AD. Also, I think the only two groups that should have a say are ALUMNI, and PARENTS of players. I really don't think that it should be enough that you live on the North Shore. For example, if I'm a Punahou alumnus who happens to live on the North Shore, and my boy isn't even ON the Kahuku team, why should I have a say?
Only ALUMNI and PARENTS of players. Well that pretty much is the majority of the North Shore then.

HS Football Fanatic
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2464
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Meet Sterling Carvalho--the new head coach of Kahuku Football

#12 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:03 pm

EITSwarrior wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:00 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:30 pm
EITSwarrior wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:54 pm
I don’t know if it’s just the athletic department. I think input from the NS community is driving some of these decisions at the school.
@EITSwarrior: That's a possibility. However, at some point, I think the Kahuku AD needs to put her foot down and say, Look, I'M the AD. Also, I think the only two groups that should have a say are ALUMNI, and PARENTS of players. I really don't think that it should be enough that you live on the North Shore. For example, if I'm a Punahou alumnus who happens to live on the North Shore, and my boy isn't even ON the Kahuku team, why should I have a say?
Only ALUMNI and PARENTS of players. Well that pretty much is the majority of the North Shore then.
@EITSwarrior: Well, granted, the North Shore might not exactly be a densely populated area like, say, Mililani. Still, there are only so many players on the team, and each player has no more than two parents. I don't know what percentage of Kahuku alumni remain on the North Shore after graduation, but there probably isn't any question that some percentage of them have moved-out, especially the older alumni. Also, there might be some number of Waialua alumni living in the North Shore, as that's the neighboring school. If I lived in the North Shore and weren't a Kahuku alumnus, and didn't have a boy on the team, I would just say, "Whatever; let Kahuku alumni and parents of players get involved. As for myself, I don't think I should try to interfere with the AD."

EITSwarrior
All-American
All-American
Posts: 1645
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Meet Sterling Carvalho--the new head coach of Kahuku Football

#13 Post by EITSwarrior » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:47 pm

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:03 pm
EITSwarrior wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:00 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:30 pm


@EITSwarrior: That's a possibility. However, at some point, I think the Kahuku AD needs to put her foot down and say, Look, I'M the AD. Also, I think the only two groups that should have a say are ALUMNI, and PARENTS of players. I really don't think that it should be enough that you live on the North Shore. For example, if I'm a Punahou alumnus who happens to live on the North Shore, and my boy isn't even ON the Kahuku team, why should I have a say?
Only ALUMNI and PARENTS of players. Well that pretty much is the majority of the North Shore then.
@EITSwarrior: Well, granted, the North Shore might not exactly be a densely populated area like, say, Mililani. Still, there are only so many players on the team, and each player has no more than two parents. I don't know what percentage of Kahuku alumni remain on the North Shore after graduation, but there probably isn't any question that some percentage of them have moved-out, especially the older alumni. Also, there might be some number of Waialua alumni living in the North Shore, as that's the neighboring school. If I lived in the North Shore and weren't a Kahuku alumnus, and didn't have a boy on the team, I would just say, "Whatever; let Kahuku alumni and parents of players get involved. As for myself, I don't think I should try to interfere with the AD."
They are a very tight knit community, especially Kahuku and Laie area, and are very passionate about the football team and school in general. And from what I see from friends and family living up there and on message boards, they are very opinionated. I can imagine that noise makes its way to the athletic director.

HS Football Fanatic
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2464
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Meet Sterling Carvalho--the new head coach of Kahuku Football

#14 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:05 pm

EITSwarrior wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:47 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:03 pm
EITSwarrior wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:00 pm


Only ALUMNI and PARENTS of players. Well that pretty much is the majority of the North Shore then.
@EITSwarrior: Well, granted, the North Shore might not exactly be a densely populated area like, say, Mililani. Still, there are only so many players on the team, and each player has no more than two parents. I don't know what percentage of Kahuku alumni remain on the North Shore after graduation, but there probably isn't any question that some percentage of them have moved-out, especially the older alumni. Also, there might be some number of Waialua alumni living in the North Shore, as that's the neighboring school. If I lived in the North Shore and weren't a Kahuku alumnus, and didn't have a boy on the team, I would just say, "Whatever; let Kahuku alumni and parents of players get involved. As for myself, I don't think I should try to interfere with the AD."
They are a very tight knit community, especially Kahuku and Laie area, and are very passionate about the football team and school in general. And from what I see from friends and family living up there and on message boards, they are very opinionated. I can imagine that noise makes its way to the athletic director.
@EITSwarrior: Yes, I know they are very tight-knit. Just the same, I don't think it's fair for Kahuku's AD to have to get heat from non-alumni and people who aren't parents of players. If you ask me, the Kahuku AD should have to consider only alumni and players' parents. For the AD of ANY school, that's already hard enough. I still think that non Kahuku alumni and those who aren't parents of players should chill. I mean, if folks want to voice an opinion on this messageboard--(like you and I)--fine. But, as someone who's not a Kahuku alumnus, and who doesn't have a son on the team, I'm not about to call the AD or something. That's really all I'm saying.

EITSwarrior
All-American
All-American
Posts: 1645
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Meet Sterling Carvalho--the new head coach of Kahuku Football

#15 Post by EITSwarrior » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:21 pm

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:05 pm
EITSwarrior wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:47 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:03 pm


@EITSwarrior: Well, granted, the North Shore might not exactly be a densely populated area like, say, Mililani. Still, there are only so many players on the team, and each player has no more than two parents. I don't know what percentage of Kahuku alumni remain on the North Shore after graduation, but there probably isn't any question that some percentage of them have moved-out, especially the older alumni. Also, there might be some number of Waialua alumni living in the North Shore, as that's the neighboring school. If I lived in the North Shore and weren't a Kahuku alumnus, and didn't have a boy on the team, I would just say, "Whatever; let Kahuku alumni and parents of players get involved. As for myself, I don't think I should try to interfere with the AD."
They are a very tight knit community, especially Kahuku and Laie area, and are very passionate about the football team and school in general. And from what I see from friends and family living up there and on message boards, they are very opinionated. I can imagine that noise makes its way to the athletic director.
@EITSwarrior: Yes, I know they are very tight-knit. Just the same, I don't think it's fair for Kahuku's AD to have to get heat from non-alumni and people who aren't parents of players. If you ask me, the Kahuku AD should have to consider only alumni and players' parents. For the AD of ANY school, that's already hard enough. I still think that non Kahuku alumni and those who aren't parents of players should chill. I mean, if folks want to voice an opinion on this messageboard--(like you and I)--fine. But, as someone who's not a Kahuku alumnus, and who doesn't have a son on the team, I'm not about to call the AD or something. That's really all I'm saying.
What I’m also trying to say is that a lot of the community is made up of Kahuku alumni, so yeah.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], gopunahou and 52 guests