Post by BigWave96744 »

This guy should be getting more PT.
Who agrees?

locogrown808
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Ikem Okeke

Post by locogrown808 »

agreed. he could probably be one of our best cover LB's and our current LB's are terrible in coverage

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Have anyone seen him in practice? How has he adjusted to Legi's scheme? I would like to see more of him since he was starting to look good last year but I'm assuming the coaches know what they are doing.
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

LB is our deepest position. Even with Malachi Mageo out, he hasn't played on defense a lot. Who would he replace?

BTW, he is a starter on special teams so it isn't as if he isn't playing.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

I was wondering why he wasn't in the linebacker rotation, or has he been? Haven't seen his number on the field with the defense.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

I 100% agree. Nothing against the current starters, and I figure the coaches know best, but one thing I recall seeing in Okeke last season was that he seems like a playmaker. Some players have a knack for making big plays ... Nate Jackson, Pisa, Laboy, Ursua ...
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

uhwarriors wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:25 am LB is our deepest position. Even with Malachi Mageo out, he hasn't played on defense a lot. Who would he replace?

BTW, he is a starter on special teams so it isn't as if he isn't playing.
I don't think he starts on Special Teams.
I hardly even see him anytime on special team when last year he was a beast and many times the first guy down on the returner.

Aside from Tavai, our linebackers hasn't been anything special, and many times out of position, thus the huge puka for opposing offensive players.

With our defense so horrible, why not play someone who made big plays as a true frosh, especially in the final 2 games vs UMASS and MidTenn
2016 (Freshman): Appeared in 11 games as a linebacker and a key player on UH’s kick coverage teams...recorded nine tackles (6 solo, 3 assisted) on the year...appeared in his first career game at Arizona (Sept. 17)...recorded his first career tackle against Nevada (Oct. 1)...logged multiple tackles at San José State (Oct. 8) and versus Boise State (Nov. 12)...made his first career start at “WILL” linebacker in the Hawai‘i Bowl (Dec. 24) versus Middle Tennessee...provided the turning point in UH’s win with a sack and forced fumble that set up the team’s first touchdown and the start of 28 unanswered points by UH...finished the game with a season-best four tackles.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

You're right about that. We're getting gashed for 500+ yards every game. Even by 1 or 0 win teams. Can't be any worse.
ImageImage

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

locogrown808 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:05 am agreed. he could probably be one of our best cover LB's and our current LB's are terrible in coverage
I am not happy with our linebacker play so far.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

BigWave96744 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:45 pm
I don't think he starts on Special Teams.
I hardly even see him anytime on special team when last year he was a beast and many times the first guy down on the returner.
He has played in all seven games. I've seen him on special teams a lot. Just because he hasn't been making the a lot of tackles on special teams doesn't mean he's not out there.

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Of all the defensive position groups, the linebackers are playing the best. It's the D-line that's being gashed and really giving up the long runs by getting knocked out of their gap assignments or not getting to their assigned gaps on stunts. Many times you see a LB not being able to make a play and might think they are out of position when the contrary is true. They were where they were supposed to be and a D-lineman was supposed to be in the gap where the ball carrier went through. Also gap assignments for LBs and D-linemen change from play to play especially on stunts. Just be cause a D-lineman or LB lined up over a particular gap doesn't mean that his assignment.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Irse wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:56 am Have anyone seen him in practice? How has he adjusted to Legi's scheme? I would like to see more of him since he was starting to look good last year but I'm assuming the coaches know what they are doing.
Haven't been to practice but being one of the worst defenses in the nation, maybe need to change up the scheme to get #22 on the field more.

Grinch
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Grinch »

Just wondering, did Okeke get in the game as LB tonight?
"The rise . . . of the Warriors."

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Grinch wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:04 pm Just wondering, did Okeke get in the game as LB tonight?
I didn't even see him on the kickoff team.

Parkpill
Starter
Starter
NBA: Sixers
NFL: Browns

Post by Parkpill »

I did see him on special teams.