unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Post Reply
Message
Author
HS Football Fanatic
All-American
All-American
Posts: 1971
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: unpaid D-I football

#91 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:54 pm

ka'ahupahau706 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:38 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:48 pm
ka'ahupahau706 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:05 pm
Totally agree with gopunahou, went to watch the game. Struggle for both teams. Kamehameha looks like they won't win another ILH game this year. As for Punahou, what it looked like was that they took them very lightly. That was a different Punahou team that played tonight vs in weeks prior. Defense looks great! But their offense looked like something was wrong. Played down to their level for sure. Hopefully they will iron out the kinks as they go into STL week. Looking forward to watching that game. Should be an interesting one!
@ka'ahupahau706: Agree that Kamehameha will win precisely zero more games this year. Without QB Yam, they're only an above-average team, and above-average doesn't cut it in ILH D1. Agree that unless Punahou fine-tunes its O, it will have a long night against St Louis. Punahou had what, three or four turnovers? The question is: How many of them were caused by Kamehameha's D, and how many were self-inflicted? The question is significant, because St Louis' D can create more turnovers than Kamehameha's D.
HS Football Fanatic - I believe they had 5 turnovers or 6, i'm not sure but it was ridiculous! Haha! Anyway, I want to say it was all self inflicted, bad snap handling and having all the time in the world to throw back their and Barber still threw an interception. So I'm pretty sure it was Punahou shooting themselves in the foot. What's scary if you are a Punahou fan is that they are capable of putting up points against a quality team, I guess it depends on what offense shows up that night. I think I would be okay if Kamehameha's defense was a stout defense, but they didn't seem like they were doing anything too cause pressure, so that's how I know it was a lot of mental mistakes than Kamehameha making plays. Anyway, I'm going to write Kamehameha off already, sorry Imua fans. Looking forward to Punahou vs STL already.
@ka'ahupahau706: I don't think you have to apologize to Kamehameha fans; I think they're very used to losing. Once Kamehameha is in its ILH D1 schedule, all they do is lose. This has been going on for some seven years straight. If someone were to tell me that Kamehameha beat Punahou or St Louis, I'd fall off my chair. Kamehameha had a stout D last year, but their best D players graduated. St Louis' Tua said last year that Kamehameha had the best D he faced.

genks
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:55 pm

Re: unpaid D-I football

#92 Post by genks » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:28 pm

Last 2 years STL and Pun traded wins/losses to each other. Last year if I remember correctly the first game was crazy high scoring. The second game Pun dominated till the 3rd quarter, then STL won the ILH title. It's like they play, loser adjusts, then the other loser adjusts. STL vs Pun is always a great game, but I think they play each other too many times. The coaches make adjustments and see big success from that.

The second game had the worst moment of Tua's season, he ran back for almost 20 yards and got stopped for a safety. He was running for his life in that game. Then in the 3rd it was Kapule doing the running around.

#LouGang
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:14 pm

Re: unpaid D-I football

#93 Post by #LouGang » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:15 pm

Kam and Punahou both are not good enough to beat saint louis. To small and weak. Saint Louis runs through everyone OIA not nearly as good. St Louis should smash this week vs a junk Punahou team.

HS Football Fanatic
All-American
All-American
Posts: 1971
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: unpaid D-I football

#94 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:22 pm

#LouGang wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:15 pm
Kam and Punahou both are not good enough to beat saint louis. To small and weak. Saint Louis runs through everyone OIA not nearly as good. St Louis should smash this week vs a junk Punahou team.
@#LouGang: Well, I'm not sure Kamehameha and Punahou are small or weak. It's just that St Louis is much better. Not necessarily bigger, but better. While I pick St Louis to beat Punahou, I'm not sure they'll smash them. I'll go St Louis by 10 to 14. I don't think we can call Punahou junk. The last time Punahou was junk was perhaps 1976? I know they were last in the ILH that year, and back then, all teams were in the same division. That means even Damien, Pac-Five, and Iolani beat them. How many points are you picking St Louis by against Punahou this week?

genks
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:55 pm

Re: unpaid D-I football

#95 Post by genks » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:36 pm

It's interesting watching Kam play other teams. Unfortunately they are stuck in a 3 team league and they are the 3rd place team. But they do well against other teams like Farrington. I don't think Yam is a good qb but last year he was compared to Kapule and Tua, this year against Chevan and Stephen who are both much much better. Seeing Yam against Farrington, he was definitely better tye Govs qb

HS Football Fanatic
All-American
All-American
Posts: 1971
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: unpaid D-I football

#96 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:44 pm

genks wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:36 pm
It's interesting watching Kam play other teams. Unfortunately they are stuck in a 3 team league and they are the 3rd place team. But they do well against other teams like Farrington. I don't think Yam is a good qb but last year he was compared to Kapule and Tua, this year against Chevan and Stephen who are both much much better. Seeing Yam against Farrington, he was definitely better tye Govs qb
@genks: Well, Kamehameha almost never has good QBs. Yam is the best they've had since Camanse-Stevens some four or five years ago, I think.

gopunahou
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2549
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: unpaid D-I football

#97 Post by gopunahou » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:02 pm

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:44 pm
genks wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:36 pm
It's interesting watching Kam play other teams. Unfortunately they are stuck in a 3 team league and they are the 3rd place team. But they do well against other teams like Farrington. I don't think Yam is a good qb but last year he was compared to Kapule and Tua, this year against Chevan and Stephen who are both much much better. Seeing Yam against Farrington, he was definitely better tye Govs qb
@genks: Well, Kamehameha almost never has good QBs. Yam is the best they've had since Camanse-Stevens some four or five years ago, I think.
If it makes Kamehameha fans feel better, they probably aren't worse than we were between 1997-2004. Never did we finish 2nd, much less first. We were an afterthought and sometimes finished behind Iolani. Of course, 2005 was the year we snapped St. Louis's streak of ILH championships.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

I am Big Dog!
But you can call me STL79!
Or auffrey78!
Or auffrey79!
Oh well, what I really am is an elitist!

gopunahou
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2549
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: unpaid D-I football

#98 Post by gopunahou » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:03 pm

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:22 pm
#LouGang wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:15 pm
Kam and Punahou both are not good enough to beat saint louis. To small and weak. Saint Louis runs through everyone OIA not nearly as good. St Louis should smash this week vs a junk Punahou team.
@#LouGang: Well, I'm not sure Kamehameha and Punahou are small or weak. It's just that St Louis is much better. Not necessarily bigger, but better. While I pick St Louis to beat Punahou, I'm not sure they'll smash them. I'll go St Louis by 10 to 14. I don't think we can call Punahou junk. The last time Punahou was junk was perhaps 1976? I know they were last in the ILH that year, and back then, all teams were in the same division. That means even Damien, Pac-Five, and Iolani beat them. How many points are you picking St Louis by against Punahou this week?
1983, my friend. We finished last that year and probably would've surrendered 70-80 points if the 1983 team played the 2013 edition. 1983-1987 was the WORST stretch of Punahou football ever. The 1980s were not a kind decade to us.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

I am Big Dog!
But you can call me STL79!
Or auffrey78!
Or auffrey79!
Oh well, what I really am is an elitist!

HS Football Fanatic
All-American
All-American
Posts: 1971
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: unpaid D-I football

#99 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:28 am

gopunahou wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:02 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:44 pm
genks wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:36 pm
It's interesting watching Kam play other teams. Unfortunately they are stuck in a 3 team league and they are the 3rd place team. But they do well against other teams like Farrington. I don't think Yam is a good qb but last year he was compared to Kapule and Tua, this year against Chevan and Stephen who are both much much better. Seeing Yam against Farrington, he was definitely better tye Govs qb
@genks: Well, Kamehameha almost never has good QBs. Yam is the best they've had since Camanse-Stevens some four or five years ago, I think.
If it makes Kamehameha fans feel better, they probably aren't worse than we were between 1997-2004. Never did we finish 2nd, much less first. We were an afterthought and sometimes finished behind Iolani. Of course, 2005 was the year we snapped St. Louis's streak of ILH championships.
@gopunahou: If we're talking regular-season ILH D1, Kamehameha fans could use any salve. If I'm not mistaken, Kamehameha has beaten your alma mater precisely zero times since 2010. Same against St Louis. It's almost like, why bother going to the game if they're playing Punahou or St Louis. The only question for them to ask is, "How much will we lose by?" If we're talking ILH D1 regular season, Kamehameha has nowhere to go but up, but they don't seem to be going there. Must suck to be a perpetual cellar-dweller.

HS Football Fanatic
All-American
All-American
Posts: 1971
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: unpaid D-I football

#100 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:37 am

gopunahou wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:03 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:22 pm
#LouGang wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:15 pm
Kam and Punahou both are not good enough to beat saint louis. To small and weak. Saint Louis runs through everyone OIA not nearly as good. St Louis should smash this week vs a junk Punahou team.
@#LouGang: Well, I'm not sure Kamehameha and Punahou are small or weak. It's just that St Louis is much better. Not necessarily bigger, but better. While I pick St Louis to beat Punahou, I'm not sure they'll smash them. I'll go St Louis by 10 to 14. I don't think we can call Punahou junk. The last time Punahou was junk was perhaps 1976? I know they were last in the ILH that year, and back then, all teams were in the same division. That means even Damien, Pac-Five, and Iolani beat them. How many points are you picking St Louis by against Punahou this week?
1983, my friend. We finished last that year and probably would've surrendered 70-80 points if the 1983 team played the 2013 edition. 1983-1987 was the WORST stretch of Punahou football ever. The 1980s were not a kind decade to us.
@gopunahou: Wow. Didn't know they were last that year.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

gopunahou
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
Posts: 2549
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:50 am

Re: unpaid D-I football

#101 Post by gopunahou » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:39 am

@ HS Football Fanatic, Kamehameha did have a good stretch between 2011 and 2013, always finishing second and beating us twice (one in 2011 and one in 2012). They also won five of six against STL, so therefore, their last victory against STL was 2013.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

I am Big Dog!
But you can call me STL79!
Or auffrey78!
Or auffrey79!
Oh well, what I really am is an elitist!

HS Football Fanatic
All-American
All-American
Posts: 1971
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: unpaid D-I football

#102 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:41 am

gopunahou wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:39 am
@ HS Football Fanatic, Kamehameha did have a good stretch between 2011 and 2013, always finishing second and beating us twice (one in 2011 and one in 2012). They also won five of six against STL, so therefore, their last victory against STL was 2013.
@gopunahou: Kamehameha actually won against you guys, and twice? What a shock; I stand corrected. I'm also surprised that they beat St Louis, of all teams. I don't remember any of those wins, against both teams. Apologies to Kamehameha fans.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:42 am

Re: unpaid D-I football

#103 Post by Dog 96707 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:22 am

Stl v. Pun... from a pure talent stand point, the game should be close. Pun D got at least 5 div 1 players, maybe more (motuapuaka, tufono, liufau, makaula, gilman). I'm pretty sure this will be the best D that Stl has faced this year, so far.
Stl O got 3 or 4 div 1 players (cordeiro, panoke, sykes (inj), tanuvasa). Now I know as far as experience, I believe that these 2 units are very young. So that match up on paper looks to go pun way, but I'd say it's a toss up as far as experience is concerned.
Pun O got some studs on the OL (Clemons, Uluave, etc) And Barber can run the rock pretty efficiently behind them. But they lack experience in the skill dept.
Stl D looks good, but this will be a big test for the stl front v. pun OL. I believe the game will be closer than a lot of people think...can't wait to watch this one.

HS Football Fanatic
All-American
All-American
Posts: 1971
Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: unpaid D-I football

#104 Post by HS Football Fanatic » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:10 pm

Dog 96707 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:22 am
Stl v. Pun... from a pure talent stand point, the game should be close. Pun D got at least 5 div 1 players, maybe more (motuapuaka, tufono, liufau, makaula, gilman). I'm pretty sure this will be the best D that Stl has faced this year, so far.
Stl O got 3 or 4 div 1 players (cordeiro, panoke, sykes (inj), tanuvasa). Now I know as far as experience, I believe that these 2 units are very young. So that match up on paper looks to go pun way, but I'd say it's a toss up as far as experience is concerned.
Pun O got some studs on the OL (Clemons, Uluave, etc) And Barber can run the rock pretty efficiently behind them. But they lack experience in the skill dept.
Stl D looks good, but this will be a big test for the stl front v. pun OL. I believe the game will be closer than a lot of people think...can't wait to watch this one.
@Dog 96707: Agree. I think St Louis is favored, and I want them to win. But, like you said, I think the game will be somewhat close; certainly closer than I'd like it to be. I'm thinking St Louis by 10 or 14 points. St Louis' LBs have to be really ready to kick butt. They were supposed to be the centerpiece of a good St Louis D, but I heard one of the returning LBs transferred. How are St Louis' defensive down-linemen? How is St Louis' FG kicker? If things get tough, it just might come down to him.

unpaid
All-American
All-American
Posts: 1948
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:03 pm

Re: unpaid D-I football

#105 Post by unpaid » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:23 pm

Headliners this week,

No.1 St.Louis and No.4 Punahou.

Unless Punahou self-destructs with turnovers,this should be a close game.For the third year in a row,Punahou has more quality returning than St.Louis. Still,the Crusaders are looking to three-peat as ILH champions.The Puns are going to have to beat the Crusaders for the ILH championship to make me a believer. Picking St.Louis for the win.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FoxMulder, genks, Google Adsense [Bot], gopunahou, Markeke, Neighbor and 56 guests