Computer repair

Discuss computer software and hardware information, along with the latest pc and console gaming news.
Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Computer repair

Post by Irse »

Anyone know anybody good that fixes computers? The guy I knew passed away a couple years ago. Having problems with a laptop. Device manager sees a wireless network adapter but when I try to connect, it says no network adapter.
ImageImage

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Re: Computer repair

Post by ubercow »

Irse wrote:Anyone know anybody good that fixes computers? The guy I knew passed away a couple years ago. Having problems with a laptop. Device manager sees a wireless network adapter but when I try to connect, it says no network adapter.
a few things to check:
laptops sometimes have wifi switches, look around the edge for a switch with a wifi icon near it, it may be turned off
laptops also sometimes have special wifi buttons to turn off wifi, on your esc-f12 row, if you see an icon that looks like wifi next to your f##, hold down that weird function button at the bottom you never used, or alt and press that icon. you may see a popup where your wifi gets turned on or off
finally check control panel > network (and sharing center) > change adapter settings. it may be disabled here, where you would right-click enable

if those don't work, bring it to the hawaii bowl and I can take a look at it.

da bill is in the mail :lol:

Irse

Post by Irse »

I'll check on those things but I also got a USB wi fi adapter if all elee don't work. Thanks
ImageImage

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ubercow »

Irse wrote:I'll check on those things but I also got a USB wi fi adapter if all elee don't work. Thanks
if those previously stated things doesn't fix but your external wifi works, you could finally try a driver re-install (uninstall, then reinstall drivers from your device manager) and if that doesn't work, would recommend checking your laptop's warranty because any hardware issues with wifi on laptops will probably would require a whole board replacement. if not under warranty, might be cheaper to use your external, or just buy a new laptop.

Irse

Post by Irse »

Actually is said something about wi fi does not have a valid ip configuration.
ImageImage

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ubercow »

Irse wrote:Actually is said something about wi fi does not have a valid ip configuration.
if other devices connect to this same wifi okay, go back to: control panel > network (and sharing center) > change adapter settings
right click wi-fi, properties. highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 and press properties. If it's not set to Obtain (IP Adress/DNS Server Address) automatically, set it to do so.

also a tip for any issue where you have an error code/message, type it in word for word into google. you'll probably find a ton of people with the exact same problem and how to fix it. if the source appears reputable, try following those 'fixes'.