Scott Harding's punting...

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Scott Harding's punting...

Post by poidog »

One thing that keeps me engaged in this season is the play of Scott Harding. I really enjoy watching him play, and the fact that he's turned into a decent weapon at punter is just gravy. It makes me wonder if we should actively recruit rugby punters for the future? There must be other players "Down Under" with skills similar to Scott Harding that can punt as well as add depth to other positions.

In any case, Big Ups to Harding for giving us something to cheer for this season.

DaBigChinese
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Scott Harding's punting...

Post by DaBigChinese »

This is how sad our season has become when the ONLY bright spot is our punter...
"Up in sunny kaimuki..." LIHOLIHO STYLE!!

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

More than just Harding keep me engaged to Warrior football.
Saui, JHT, Iosefa...to name a few.
We've got a mixed bag of wasted talent.
The talent is wasted by vacationing assistant coaches and a leader who was never meant to lead.

Poor coaches...only making $100,000 ++++ to deliver mediocrity...and yuck it up on the sidelines.
I feel so bad for them.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

It is almost statistically impossible to LOSE every single game on a schedule.
These guys are losers. I'm sorry.

Hawkpeter
Starter
Starter

Post by Hawkpeter »

poidog wrote:One thing that keeps me engaged in this season is the play of Scott Harding. I really enjoy watching him play, and the fact that he's turned into a decent weapon at punter is just gravy. It makes me wonder if we should actively recruit rugby punters for the future? There must be other players "Down Under" with skills similar to Scott Harding that can punt as well as add depth to other positions.

In any case, Big Ups to Harding for giving us something to cheer for this season.
Not to labour a point, but for millionth time, Scott Harding did not play Rugby! :) He played in the AFL, not the ARL. It would be more accurate to say, "recruit Aussie Rules punters/players."

His variety of skills and alternate sporting background has been a tremendous advantage for UH. Yes there are many athletic talents in Australia with similar backgrounds who are interested. If this staff aren't interested then they're not interested and that is fair enough. Considering how good Scott has been, you'd think they would try to further exploit a natural recruiting advantage.

poidog
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by poidog »

Hawkpeter wrote: Not to labour a point, but for millionth time, Scott Harding did not play Rugby! :) He played in the AFL, not the ARL. It would be more accurate to say, "recruit Aussie Rules punters/players."
Re-read my post. I did not once call him a "rugby player". Nor did I say we should recruit "rugby players". I said "rugby punter" because "rugby punt" is the common term for the style of punting employed by Harding. No one says "Aussie Rules punter". It's about the style of punt, not the background of the player.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

Hawkpeter wrote:
poidog wrote:One thing that keeps me engaged in this season is the play of Scott Harding. I really enjoy watching him play, and the fact that he's turned into a decent weapon at punter is just gravy. It makes me wonder if we should actively recruit rugby punters for the future? There must be other players "Down Under" with skills similar to Scott Harding that can punt as well as add depth to other positions.

Not to labour a point, but for millionth time, Scott Harding did not play Rugby! :) He played in the AFL, not the ARL. It would be more accurate to say, "recruit Aussie Rules punters/players."

His variety of skills and alternate sporting background has been a tremendous advantage for UH. Yes there are many athletic talents in Australia with similar backgrounds who are interested. If this staff aren't interested then they're not interested and that is fair enough. Considering how good Scott has been, you'd think they would try to further exploit a natural recruiting advantage.
i think he's referring to the style of punting which is being referred to as "rugby punting" across the nation.

i don't know enough about rugby or Australian Rules football to say if that is an accurate term.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

Hawkpeter
Starter
Starter

Post by Hawkpeter »

The most accurate term in that case would be 'drop punt'.

Just follow me for a moment; the irony of hearing a term applied 'Rugby styled punt' or 'Rugby punter', by players who never played rugby (Bennett, McBriar, Graham, Rocco et al) and a kicking style that did not originate and is hardly ever used in Rugby. It happens all the time and it might be just a little thing, but grinds my gears.

'Drop punt' is the term people, impress your friends; you'll be one of the cool kids :)

Sweet Lei Mokihana
MLB: Los Angelas Dodgers
NBA: AnybodybutLakers&Heat
NFL: Cardinals and Seahawks

Post by Sweet Lei Mokihana »

DaBigChinese wrote:This is how sad our season has become when the ONLY bright spot is our punter...
Even worse is discussion on what exactly style of punting he's doing...LOL

Hawkpeter
Starter
Starter

Post by Hawkpeter »

Sweet Lei Mokihana wrote:
DaBigChinese wrote:This is how sad our season has become when the ONLY bright spot is our punter...
Even worse is discussion on what exactly style of punting he's doing...LOL
Guilty as charged; its like 2 bald men fighting over a comb.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Scott is this year's MVP.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

RedZone wrote:Scott is this year's MVP.
yep, this years Eddie Klaneski

Link

(actually, I am quite impressed by Schroeder this year --- given we all had him tagged as very average)

yougotmayo

Post by yougotmayo »

If he can keep this up the rest of his career, I would rank him 2nd behind Mat McBriar. Seriously, how many punters could be considered weapons. I know that he hasn't executed the fake as much as he should (either run for 1st downs, or throw it over the heads of the punt rushers), but seriously, when teams send 10 guys toward the punter so they don't get "tagged", that's when you know you're a weapon! :leftfighter3:

yougotmayo

Post by yougotmayo »

RedZone wrote:Scott is this year's MVP.
+1

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

When you look forward to Scott Harding's "drop punts" after an offensive 3 and out, you know that your team is really in trouble. Glad to have him back for one more year!
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.