Makana
Starter
Starter
MLB: San Francisco Giants
NBA: The Bay Warriors
NFL: San Francisco 49ers

Re: *****OFFICIAL UH vs. USC THREAD*****

Post by Makana »

Wow and that was no excuse for Colt right, please, I've watched every single one of Colts games in Preseason and even went on their board to discuss. No blind homerism, Colt sucked, sure he had injuries but its not like he couldn't over come any of it. A real NFL HC in Mike Shanahan knew Colt wouldn't succeed in his offense, reason hes not with them anymore or with a QB needy team like the Raiders.

I wasn't singling you specifically out, I said some of you. Reason I said Pro Football forum, things are different there, they scrutinize everything from every player, to every play, they list specifics and actually know what real plays are. Not saying this board doesn't, its just that I notice some fans here criticize without realizing the full picture. As in your case, how Graham under threw, over threw or threw a pick right to the defender, was it a matter of Graham making a bad decision or receiver runnning the wrong route??
Last edited by Makana on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
― Albert Einstein

“Jiu-Jitsu is like a philosophy. It helps me learn how to face life.”
-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Guys this offense was "green", in a bad way, from QB(1st game since HS) to RB(3 frosh)to WR(2 frosh) to TE and some of the OL. Add in the fact we have a "semi-new" offense led by a HC/OC with questionable playcalling going against a USC defense by all accounts is very talented. Not to mention it was the first game of the season. Frankly what did you expect??? Sure you have the right to expect better like I did, but be realistic in your expectations and reasonable with the results.

Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Post by Nisei »

I swear, there would be less grumbling from you guys if we got blown out 66-3.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

Makana wrote:Wow and that was no excuse for Colt right, please, I've watched every single one of Colts games in Preseason and even went on their board to discuss. No blind homerism, Colt sucked, sure he had injuries but its not like he couldn't over come any of it. A real NFL HC in Mike Shanahan knew Colt wouldn't succeed in his offense, reason hes not with them anymore or with a QB needy team like the Raiders.

I wasn't singling you specifically out, I said some of you. Reason I said Pro Football forum, things are different there, they scrutinize everything from every player, to every play, they list specifics and actually know what real plays are. Not saying this board doesn't, its just that I notice some fans here criticize without realizing the full picture. As in your case, how Graham under threw, over threw or threw a pick right to the defender, was it a matter of Graham making a bad decision or receiver runnning the wrong route??
pro football forums are no better or worse than college forums. the vast majority of them are just regular joe fans, just like here.

and if you read your pro football forums, you would have seen all the redskin's forums wondering all season why they never saw Colt after he did well in the pre season. either they arent as knowledgeable as you seem to beleive, or you're underplaying how Colt played. especially when you compare him to his competition at the time, Jason Campbell who was and is a bona fide scrub who only got a job because too many coaches foolishly thought they could beat some intelligence into a player with a protoypical QB body.

they failed.

Im not being a homer for colt. but acting like he didnt make it in the NFL because "the pro system is hard" is a total joke. you can talk about him playing poorly (which isnt really true at all), you can say he didnt have the work ethic (may or may not be true), you could say his mechanics and body type were highly unattractive to most coaches (very true), but i think blaming it on the pro offense being too hard for him is such a cop out and sounds more like someone who only sees that as confirmation of that person's deeply held belief that he was only the product of a gimmick system.

im not trying to attack you, i just think you're being very unfair to Colt here. there were a lot of things that kept him from succeeding at the NFL level, but i dont think learning the pro system was ever one of them. and I also dont think that you can blame it at all for what went out on there on the field on thursday. our players are not stupid.
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

Nisei
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: Padres

Post by Nisei »

xer 21 wrote:
Makana wrote:Wow and that was no excuse for Colt right, please, I've watched every single one of Colts games in Preseason and even went on their board to discuss. No blind homerism, Colt sucked, sure he had injuries but its not like he couldn't over come any of it. A real NFL HC in Mike Shanahan knew Colt wouldn't succeed in his offense, reason hes not with them anymore or with a QB needy team like the Raiders.

pro football forums are no better or worse than college forums. the vast majority of them are just regular joe fans, just like here.

and if you read your pro football forums, you would have seen all the redskin's forums wondering all season why they never saw Colt after he did well in the pre season. either they arent as knowledgeable as you seem to beleive, or you're underplaying how Colt played. especially when you compare him to his competition at the time, Jason Campbell who was and is a bona fide scrub who only got a job because too many coaches foolishly thought they could beat some intelligence into a player with a protoypical QB body.

they failed.

Im not being a homer for colt. but acting like he didnt make it in the NFL because "the pro system is hard" is a total joke. you can talk about him playing poorly (which isnt really true at all), you can say he didnt have the work ethic (may or may not be true), you could say his mechanics and body type were highly unattractive to most coaches (very true), but i think blaming it on the pro offense being too hard for him is such a cop out and sounds more like someone who only sees that as confirmation of that person's deeply held belief that he was only the product of a gimmick system.

im not trying to attack you, i just think you're being very unfair to Colt here. there were a lot of things that kept him from succeeding at the NFL level, but i dont think learning the pro system was ever one of them. and I also dont think that you can blame it at all for what went out on there on the field on thursday. our players are not stupid.
I agree with this post.

Colt actually had a good pre-season. Not sure what games you were watching, if you even watched them.

I remember reading the Redskins forums during the regular season, and everyone wanted Campbell benched to give Colt a shot.

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

Sure Colt threw TD's in Preseason, but if you know how Preseason is looked upon you would know TD passes are a small part of evaluating a player. GM and NFL staffs look at everything, of course work ethic but from footwork, arm-strength, decision making and command of the huddle. Colt Brennan's footwork is horrible and looks very stiff in his crossover, he was in a WCO and looked lost running it at times and that's against scrub players who wouldn't make the team. And honestly I thought he started to be cocky, because of that Preseason, betting players a $100 whoever intercepted his passes in TC. And arm-strength, he could make some passes, but his ability to drive the ball down-field has been long scrutinized, you can't float balls in the NFL. All his criticism has been down on paper, see for yourself. And btw I've been on the Redskins board, and they say the only people who wanted Brennan in was us Hawaii homers....should've seen what they said afte he was cut, "glad the Brennan homers are gone". Yes I thought that was uncalled for, but those people are ruthless on those forums and you (not you in general) gotta learn to deal with it.

And as for an NFL forum, sure there are average Joe's on there, and some aren't. There has been actual players to visit the site, just like I know players visit here, and trust me, not saying no names but that's a fact. But at least NFL forums I've been to have actually talked X's and O's, formations, timed-routes, different offensive and defensive schemes, coaching philosophy, how players fit into what system and so on....been here two years, and I've seen people come on here criticizing players without giving actual detail as to why. Sure people don't have to, but its nice to give some insight as to "why".

Thanks for your time, Aloha.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

Makana wrote:

And the way the O-line was blocking, you think Schroeder (excuse the spelling...Grammar police) would fair any better? If you've been to the practices you would've seen Chow made the right decision to start Graham. He can make all throws needed to be an NFL QB, can't say the same for Schroeder. Guess you didn't notice the deep-out Graham made to Haynes (I think it was), I guarantee you Schroeder could not make that pass. Do you even know the difference between a Run-n-Shoot O-line and Pro-Style O-line?? And tell me, were you old enough to see Joe Montana and Troy Aikman progress, if you were, tell me the benching philosophy would've worked the way you put it?? Tell me do you or did you see film on each of Grahams passes, how do you know what he did or didn't see out there and how is it correctable, answer that and I will start to listen to you more about benching Graham.
Makana,

How about Schroeder? Still think he can't make a deep-out pass?

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote:
Makana wrote:

And the way the O-line was blocking, you think Schroeder (excuse the spelling...Grammar police) would fair any better? If you've been to the practices you would've seen Chow made the right decision to start Graham. He can make all throws needed to be an NFL QB, can't say the same for Schroeder. Guess you didn't notice the deep-out Graham made to Haynes (I think it was), I guarantee you Schroeder could not make that pass. Do you even know the difference between a Run-n-Shoot O-line and Pro-Style O-line?? And tell me, were you old enough to see Joe Montana and Troy Aikman progress, if you were, tell me the benching philosophy would've worked the way you put it?? Tell me do you or did you see film on each of Grahams passes, how do you know what he did or didn't see out there and how is it correctable, answer that and I will start to listen to you more about benching Graham.
Makana,

you've just been holding on to this for a whole month? seriously?
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

Lol, I thought this was about Kiffin getting fired!!! lmfao

Again, Schroeder didn't throw a deep out last night, he threw a couple of deep sideline passes which is different from a deep out pass.

Deep sideline passes are receivers running go-routes expecting the ball to be caught in stride.

Deep out passes are timed passes between the QB and the receiver. When the receiver reaches the depth of his route, the receiver breaks toward the sideline and the ball should be delivered. Deep outs are usually in the range of 15-20 yards, the pass is like a dart thrown to the receiver, not a pass that has much air underneath it. I hope I explained it good enough to see the difference.
― Albert Einstein

-Helio Gracie

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

xer 21 wrote:
wailukuwarriorfan wrote:
Makana wrote:

Makana,

you've just been holding on to this for a whole month? seriously?
Still don't get it, do you? Talking about any of our student athletes in that manner is just weak. . .

Makana
Starter
Starter

Post by Makana »

WTF are you talking about wailuku??
― Albert Einstein