MLB: SF Giants
NBA: LA Lakers
NFL: SF 49ers, Denver Broncos

It's Official: Greg McMackin Named DC

Post by The808Chef »

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... 72406.html
McMackin named UH defensive coordinator

Advertiser Staff

Greg McMackin today was named the University of Hawai'i football team's defensive coordinator.
He succeeds Jerry Glanville, who left to take the head coaching job at Portland State University.

For legal purposes, McMackin is taking the coaching job vacated by Mouse Davis, who also left to join the Portland State staff.

McMackin was the Warriors' defensive coordinator in 1999, June Jones' first season as UH's head coach.

McMackin has also coached with the San Francisco 49ers, the Seattle Seahawks and at Texas Tech and Miami.

http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=5632

McMackin named UH defensive coordinator
Dave Reardon
dreardon@starbulletin.com

It was no surprise, but it's now official.

Greg McMackin will run the Hawaii defense this season, replacing Jerry Glanville who left to be head coach at Portland State.

"I don't know the exact title because I told (university officials) to get him in as fast as possible, but in my eyes he's the defensive coordinator," Warriors coach June Jones said, when asked if McMackin also carries the title of associate coach.

"I'm excited to be here," McMackin said after directing the UH defense at this morning's spring practice. "I came back for Coach Jones and Coach Jones' goal of winning the WAC."

McMackin previously served as UH defensive coordinator in 1999, helping a team that went 0-12 the year before go 9-4.

"I am fortunate tocome back to a place where I never wanted to leave," said McMackin, who got a lucrative offer to be defensive coordinator at Texas Tech after the 1999 season.

In 2003, he joined Dennis Erickson's staff on the San Francisco 49ers. When Erickson was fired in 2005, he returned to Texas Tech as a teacher.

Jones also said inside linebackers coach Cal Lee will coach all three linebacker positions in the 4-3, and George Lumpkin now has the defensive ends (many of whom are the same players who were outside linebackers that he coached in the 3-4 last year). Jones also said Jeff Reinebold continues as defensive line coach, with focus on the tackles.

"Jeff is coaching the defensive line, but as in the past, we have two coaches, one on the DTs and the other on the ends," Jones said.

=D> :hello1: :grouphuuug: :dubthum:

Not that we didn't know right? I know a lot of us wanted JR to possibly be the guy but McMack isn't that bad of a guy to learn from too. JR is getting the best teachers and will gain nothing but valuable knowledge to add to what he already has. What doesn't kill you will make you stronger. Yeah baby!!!
Last edited by The808Chef on Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Often wrong...seldom in doubt!

dopaco24
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by dopaco24 »

Yay!!!!!

He's 1-0 against Boise State while at Hawaii!!! \:D/ \:D/

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

Awesome! now we can get back to the level we used to be at on D.

uhwarrior23
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Braves
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Pats

Post by uhwarrior23 »

This is a shocker! :lol:
McMackin is a great defensive coach and he's taking over a defense that has a ton of talent that has already learned a lot from Glanville. We are gonna be unbelievable on defense!!!!!!!! \:D/

CoachKen
Insider
Insider

Post by CoachKen »

I think McMackin is a great fit with experience here and in the pros as well as being a DC in another spread offense oriented team (not the run and shoot...had to make that point....my new motto is "the run and shoot....there is no substitute!") I like the fact we get very intensive coaching on the defense. I still say Rich Miano has the toughest job on the defense and maybe on the coaching staff.

Lots of good stuff. I will be looking for the following from our defense:

1. A lot of zone blitz packages.
2. Combo stunts
3. Great technique on the line
4. Hard pressure from the ends
5. LB situational blitzes

With the athletic ability of our end/LB types, they could easily drop into covrage while safely bringing a drop safety on a safety blitz (shades of LP crushing Rudy Carpenter of ASU!)

I actually think the 4-3 when played with controlled risk is a better defense for Hawaii. It takes a lot of pressure off the tackles with very little two gap responsibility and easy disquise on the zone plays. It also is better against the zone running schemes that are more prevalent in college football today.

The one thing that confused me regarding JG's defense was the numbers for the defensive secondary were different, cover 3 was not the traditional cover three....a little confusing.

Anyway, although I am a Jeff Reinbold proponent, as long as he is still on the coaching staff I am happy. He will get his shot one day, he is a great coach and we are lucky to have both of these guys.

Coach
Character, strength, and honor!

Haynr8dr
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NBA: Boston Celtics
NFL: Oakland RAIDERS!

Post by Haynr8dr »

After further review, I'll have to along with most and feel good about McMackin. I've forgotten his credentials. The man is definitely qualified. And since Jeff has his great attitude and he'll too commit his services to the kids, all is looking well in terms of the team.

Now, if we can only find somebody who wants to play us. :lol:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

When I see the talent on this team coupled with the return of Mac I can't help but get excited. I remember when he first coached here he wanted more speed on the defense so he made linebackers ends and safeties linebackers. I don't think he had the overall talent he will have on this team.

Since coach Jeff is going to have help with Lumpkin taking over the defensive ends I think they should make him the special teams coordinator too. This is one area that I think really needs improvement. Bad special teams play cost UH games last year.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

I'm glad that Greg McMackin is back. There is no substitute for coaching smarts, savvy and experience at positions like OC and DC.

jhb3043
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by jhb3043 »

dopaco24 wrote:Yay!!!!!

He's 1-0 against Boise State while at Hawaii!!! \:D/ \:D/
soon to be 2-0 against Boise :evil: 8) :)

madeinhawaii
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by madeinhawaii »

Know what I love about the coaching staff?

They have to make hard decisions. GM or JR? This player or that? But they make them. Time and time again and on a very timely basis.

Congrats to McMackin... it will be a very interesting year for the Warriors.. for sure.

Visit my wife's photography site ... mahalo!
http://artistsinhawaii.com

Macnut
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by Macnut »

I am fortunate tocome back to a place where I never wanted to leave," said McMackin, who got a lucrative offer to be defensive coordinator at Texas Tech after the 1999 season.
I'm sorry but is he pulling our legs? :blowup:
No matter what, be happy you still got your health!

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

Macnut wrote:
I am fortunate tocome back to a place where I never wanted to leave," said McMackin, who got a lucrative offer to be defensive coordinator at Texas Tech after the 1999 season.
Why? They offered him four times the pay that UH was giving him and he was taking care of some family members. Seems like he needed the money at that time. There are people who like Hawaii but have to leave for one reason or another. Probably many on this board faced that decision.
ImageImage

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

Irse wrote:
Macnut wrote:
Why? They offered him four times the pay that UH was giving him and he was taking care of some family members. Seems like he needed the money at that time. There are people who like Hawaii but have to leave for one reason or another. Probably many on this board faced that decision.
Exactly. He did what he needed to do at the time.
he was making about $80,000 at the time, while helping to take care of his two grandchildren. Texas Tech offered him $350,000 to serve as associate head coach and defensive coordinator.
"I told him he needed to go," Jones said.
More:
http://blogs.honoluluadvertiser.com/ind ... &tb=1&pb=1

On the 6:00 news tonight he said he would be here as long as June Jones was here and that Jones would be his last coach.

Macnut
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by Macnut »

I've got some waterfront property in Arizona if anyone is interested! :roll:
No matter what, be happy you still got your health!

HK
All-conference
All-conference

Post by HK »

Macnut wrote:I've got some waterfront property in Arizona if anyone is interested! :roll:
I remember this story being told awhile back and thinking that he was simply doing what was best for his family at the time. I understand people being cynical, but I'm willing to believe he's telling the truth.