2008 UH FOOTBALL RECRUITING CLASS

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
Gobows66
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

noa

Post by Gobows66 »

Yes, I believe they are cousins. Great family.

danielbeast808
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: Local boy under the radar

Post by danielbeast808 »

Marley wrote:Received this inquiry from Kalehua in Utah today, who wants me to look at an online action vid of his hanai nephew. Maybe you guys will know what to do with it....

"Saw in the local kine blogs that my nephew, 6'3", 270lb, right offensive guard for Punahou, Abraham Markowitz, is totally off the radar there. He was Punahou's highest graded offensive lineman for most of the ILH season, just received a 3.75 GPA report card, and just qualified for the State Track & Field Championships in Shot Putt & Discus...so he is very athletic for a big 16 year old (who will still be 16 yrs old as a senior this football season).

SC is apparently very impressed with both Max Tuioti Mariner and Abraham Markowitz, and know they would like to play on the same line together, somewhere. The parents of both kids know that if they were together they would look after each other, and avoid any negative influences facing young people today. Abraham's grandfather, an old Trojan, indicated SC's line coach particularly liked Abraham's aggressiveness, unusual pursuit downfield to pick up secondary blocks, and his size/speed/athleticism. Obviously Max appears to already be a Southern California urban legend, who can go any place he pleases. Abraham's father (an old Bruin, whose dad made him reject a UH football offer in June Jone's '71 class) indicated UCLA is still watching Abraham's height, as they would ideally like him to grow from 6'3" to be 6'5" as an offensive guard....kinda of silly of UCLA in my mind since the kid is only a 16 year old little puppy at this point, and could redshirt on arrival as a 17 year old college freshman.

Watch this vid, he is #56 in white with the massive legs, and tell me if I am biased because he is my close hanai nephew, or if like his cousin Max & Clarence Tuioti Mariner, he is the real deal. btw, Abraham's mom is a Tuioti-Mariner. Abraham, (Samoan/Tongan/Chinese/Haole) is also a cousin of Jesse Sapolu on his maternal grandmother's side, and the Purcell brothers and former SC star lineman, Fa'asea Mailo, on his maternal grandfather's side....and a little known fact is that Max, Clarence and Abraham are related to the King of Tonga and Samoa's Head of State....who are descended from traditional chiefly warriors.

He certainly has some football genes and good character. Just wonder if he will avoid SC and UCLA to keep peace in the family between his dad and grandfather. His sister is at BYU Provo (against her Dad's wishes who wanted her to go to UH), but Abraham has cheered too long as a small kid for UH when his cousin Tony was playing...and learned that BYU was not the good guys from a Hawaii perspective.

Bryan Derby, who has a lineman camp in Honolulu, I was told, shared his confidence in Abraham being a Division 1 college football player with several college coaches, yet it still seems that Abraham remains an undiscovered Manoa Valley gem.

http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=BR6h9E2ndRY

Please advise who I should contact with this vid and other info. I would like to see Abraham have all the opportunities he has earned through his commitment to sports and focused academic effort.

Mahalo,

Kalehua xxxx
P.O. Box xxxx
Salt Lake City, Utah

[/quote]

uhh the video is not a good source for showing off Abraham. He was playing against a 3-4 which means he will be helping the tackle block the D-end or blocking a linebacker. NOt very convinced of his skills of pass blocking since I didnt see a single 1v1 of Abraham vs A D-tackle of D-end.I saw the Kamehameha video and he was getting worked by Meatoga on some plays... His run blocking seemed competent though. Also I didnt see any effort to down field blocking. I have been to Punahou's games and your nephew really needs to develop some mental toughness. I recall numeral false start penalties being called on him and well as messing up on pass protection schemes. If he can eliminate mental errors then he could be a force.

Its ok though. If he really is 'the real deal' then colleges will certainly pick him up.....he plays for Punahou. the ILH gets good looks from colleges.

Marley
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Marley »

Mahalo for your input, I have passed your analysis on to Kalehua in Utah.

Kalehua, who lived here til a month ago, mentioned that Abraham Markowitz did not start til the 2nd game of the ILH season (which for Punahou was against St. Louis). So some of your observations, not related to the video, may have related to the three other players who started at right guard while Abraham was recovering from a pre-season broken toe. Kalehua also mentioned that Abraham was only penalized once all season, which was a holding penalty. He was never penalized for being offside. Incorrect information posted publicly, even though done without malice, about the wrong player could be harmful to an aspiring young athlete's future.

I have encouraged Kalehua to become a member so he can post directly, though he is a busy guy.

danielbeast808
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by danielbeast808 »

i was not aware that abraham did not start. I guess those penalties were called on the other Punahou guards. my apologies.

Marley
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

No Worries "Da Beast"

Post by Marley »

No worries, "Da Beast." Kalehua said he and his wife are flying in just to watch Abe this 2007 season and would like you to join them for a little tailgate action before the game as he doesn't have time to do the blog/thread/chat/instant message thing.

Kalehua also indicated, "Abraham's toe, while still healing, was of secondary importance to the challenge of playing against the awesome 2006 St. Louis defensive line, in that, the second league game of the ILH season for Punahou. Abraham, while still recovering, started that game and all subsequent ILH games last season. He is that type of kid who will play through pain, and keep coming at you."

I'm glad "Beast" that you and Kalehua are good buds now...but could you please save me a plate from the tailgate. I rechecked his e-mails...he didn't invite me. Maybe I better go eat with the Tsaiko's if they come.

danielbeast808
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by danielbeast808 »

marley i am really confused as to when I became "good buds" with Kalehua. I have only heard of Kalehua through what you posted.

anyway

while I'd like to go to the games I cannot. I recently moved to New Jersey due to my dad's job. I will complete my high school senior year there and play football there. If I don't get a offered a scholarship (im getting letters from Rutgers and various other schools, Rutgers being the biggest football one) I will walk on the Hawaii in 2009.

I hope your nephew has a good 2007 season. The Puns lose a lot of offensive firepower from Kan and Ostrowski...I just hope their O-line can blow open holes for their young running back. I play running back also and that guy definatley has much better lateral quickness than me, maybe a little slower in straight running though.

It will be good for Abraham, they will probably run the ball more since they lose Kan, giving Abraham more chances at showing his run blocking.

shooots

Marley
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Marley »

Look forward to cheering you on "Beast" as a UH Warrior. Good luck playing in the cold. Historically some serious tough guys play in Jersey. I think you might see a faster game there, but smaller o-linemen.

xer 21
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
NFL: Denver Broncos

Post by xer 21 »

Just looked at the recruits thred for first time in months, a lot of new faces. this past seasns classs was great, but this one looks just as solid if not better. and i knew ryan eastman from a few years back. we went to the same middle school, and he was under 200lbs than. he got huge!
When in doubt, burn it down.

Brothers... What We Do In Life Echoes In Eternity...

Mechanical engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build
targets.

J-Rod
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by J-Rod »

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=219&p=8&c=1&nid=3090300

If those are the schools that are after this guy then UH should land him

Also man is the hype on snipes picking up, now the USC Trogans are getting involved

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=219&p=8&c=1&nid=3057344

tangomike
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by tangomike »

we'll see how much he wants to be a Warrior. in the blog with Adam Leonard, he said AS really wants to be a Warrior.

i wonder if UH has offered a scholie to him yet.

senorhayabusa
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by senorhayabusa »

Yep New Jeresey puts up top tier talent every year. USC 5 star recruits Dwayne Jarret and Brian Cushing to name a few.

I don't think we have offered Attrail Snipes yet, we should though since we lose both Jason Rivers and probably Davone Bess to the NFL.

Also anyone know if we are gonna re-recruit Peyton Mao who was considered to be our best high school recruit in 2006.

SRJC
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by SRJC »

prospect watch: I just wanted to let sportshawaii.com in on a prospect who is considering UH.

keep an eye on Trent Ancog DT, 6-1, 240lbs. (4.5 40 yd dash). Trent is currently finishing his spring semester at Merced College, CA. He will try to walk on next year. He's a local boy who attend Lahainaluna High school in Maui. Where he was the Lunas main offensive weapon at running back, he also played linebacker. He's been playing football in Merced as there starting DT, but would like to return to his original position at RB. UH is known in recent years for it's big running backs. Trent also does track, he throws discus.
Merced actually has alot of Hawaii products on it's football team.
remember Lihikai Domingo, a wide receiver who went to castle. Merced also features a hand full of Kauai's best in Fia Moe, Waimea, the cousin of former Warrior Tanuvasa Moe.

Trent is the real deal, He will be a vital player for UH next year. Playing for UH is one of Trent's dreams. The community of Lahaina will be watching.

Sportsbow
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Sportsbow »

SRJC wrote:prospect watch: I just wanted to let sportshawaii.com in on a prospect who is considering UH.

keep an eye on Trent Ancog DT, 6-1, 240lbs. (4.5 40 yd dash). Trent is currently finishing his spring semester at Merced College, CA. He will try to walk on next year. He's a local boy who attend Lahainaluna High school in Maui. Where he was the Lunas main offensive weapon at running back, he also played linebacker. He's been playing football in Merced as there starting DT, but would like to return to his original position at RB. UH is known in recent years for it's big running backs. Trent also does track, he throws discus.
Merced actually has alot of Hawaii products on it's football team.
remember Lihikai Domingo, a wide receiver who went to castle. Merced also features a hand full of Kauai's best in Fia Moe, Waimea, the cousin of former Warrior Tanuvasa Moe.

Trent is the real deal, He will be a vital player for UH next year. Playing for UH is one of Trent's dreams. The community of Lahaina will be watching.
Thanks for the heads-up SRJC.

COACH BEE
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by COACH BEE »

danielbeast808 wrote:...I hope your nephew has a good 2007 season. The Puns lose a lot of offensive firepower from Kan and Ostrowski...I just hope their O-line can blow open holes for their young running back. I play running back also and that guy definatley has much better lateral quickness than me, maybe a little slower in straight running though.

It will be good for Abraham, they will probably run the ball more since they lose Kan, giving Abraham more chances at showing his run blocking.

shooots
I have to agree with danielbeast808's assessment of Abe Markowitz. However, He definitely has the size, weight, and strength, improvement on his footwork and mental concentration will only help him at this point. I don't recall Markowitz having many penalties called on him Iif any) but there were some plays where he did miss a couple of assignments. This could be due to the fact that he was brought in to the starting line up later on in the year or just "first time starter jitters". Abe is a bright young man, so with the right coaching and attitude, Abe will be able to be a great competitor for a Div 1 scholie. I say stay home at UH, and represent the family well on home turf!!!
KAHUKU RED RAIDERS
2005-06 STATE FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS!!!

PUNAHOU BUFFANBLU
2008 STATE FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS!!!

PIAA DS
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by PIAA DS »

I've seen a really good crop of 2008 and 2009. And both, thus far, have better academics than I've seen in a couple years - on the whole. Maybe something is clicking.