The best QB to come from a hawaii highschool

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
PIAA DS
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by PIAA DS »

Hey HomeTeam, Brad left the AF Academy Prep school before football practice even started. - The military thing is not for everyone, I know that first hand with two sons who went, one that graduated and one who ran like hell! Im not sure where he is going (most likely in Jan) but I had spoken with Coach Hernandez about schools that run the option, so he sent tape out and info to a bunch of them. Hopefully we hear about him next year, the boy has talent.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

Ikaika's dad, Joe Francis, must have been a decent high school QB if he backed-up Bart Starr at Green Bay.

As a 70's guy, I'm most familiar with the players of that era. I recall Michael Beasley and Tupu Siliga from Waianae, Molia Salanoa and Tim Welch (Gerald's dad) from Kahuku. I think Chris Whaley and Ed Kakalia played between Chan and Kaneaiakala during Ron Lee's run at Kaiser. Darryl Gabriel at Punahou. Kaipo Spencer from St. Louis (and Santa Clara).

My choice for best Hawaii high school QB would be Tim Chang. Best athlete at QB would be Blane Gaison.

HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HRC Paul »

Wow Duster, that's some good history. Never got to see these guys play QB, but heard many good things.

Gaison definitely the best athlete at QB, hands down. Still one of my favorite Rainbows of all time. One of the anchors of some of Dick Tomey's stellar defensive units, played for Atlanta for several years. Still looks like he could outrun most kids right now.

CityOfWalrus
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by CityOfWalrus »

Bobby George, Cameron Higgins, Timmy Chang, Jason Gesser, Darnell Arceneaux... St. Louis has had some badass QBs

LocalCheesehead
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by LocalCheesehead »

One SL quarterback that had a sucessful career, but always seems to go unnoticed, was Paul Goo from the 77'-78' years. I believe he still holds a few ILH/State passing records till this day.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

CityOfWalrus wrote:Bobby George, Cameron Higgins, Timmy Chang, Jason Gesser, Darnell Arceneaux... St. Louis has had some badass QBs
Add Joel Lane, Sean Kinilau, John Hao, Royce Racoma, Sweetie Pacarro's husband (forgot his name - I think it is Johnson), Joel Botelho (okay, so he transferred to Castle). The current QB Mamiya is very good, too. Talk about "system QBs"! Just kidding!

I almost forgot about our Lt. Gov. Duke Aiona. Another St. Louis QB.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Duster you remember the name Cliff Kaneaiakala from the 80's :D

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

BigWave96744 wrote:Duster you remember the name Cliff Kaneaiakala from the 80's :D
I was in college on the mainland during Cliff's heyday. I read stuff about him from newspaper clippings that my parents sent me (it seemed to be lumped with the Castle stuff). Too bad he passed away while he was still young in that motorcycle accident. He still lives on through his daughter Rhani, who is a Kamehameha hoopster.

HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HRC Paul »

Feature on Cliff's daughter, Rhani.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/04/05/sports/story03.html

COACH BEE
Play Maker
Play Maker

BEST QB

Post by COACH BEE »

You know I'm going to chime in with Kahuku's greats...all who happen to be brothers in some sort of way. First of all:

The Santiago brothers: Lane and Walter. Lane Santiago one of the highly sought after QB's in the early 80's and then he blew both knees. He later went to play for UH and was converted over to defense as a safety. Lane was the only QB back then that could nearly throw the length of the field. As a kid he ended up winning the punt pass and kick competition both for the state and the Nation.
Walter Santiago was possibly the most complete QB in HS history, receiving All-State Honors his sophomore, junior and Senior year. He led Kahuku's 87 team to be the leading offense in the state only to never appear in the Prep Bowl due to a "scheduling" decision. He also went to UH and was converted to a Rover back and helped UH win its first WAC championship in years in 92.

Then you have the Funaki brothers: Kolo and Inoke. Inoke currently plays for our bows as a back up quarterback. He and his brother were instrumental in perpetuating Kahuku's offensive option attack while still mixing it up with a lethal passing game. You will probable agree that along with Timmy Chang, the Funaki brothers had not only an accurate arm but one charged like a cannon. Inoke, the younger of the two took the QB honors at the BYU QB camp, displaying his ability to simply be athletic. I can tell you, that this family does not own a TV in their home. Their father (Inoke Sr.) encouraged all of his children to choose one thing in life they would like to pursue, the sons chose QBing in football. He then challenged to dedicate ALL their free time to the pursuit of that dream...and they have.

But those are my picks, I know they are only Kahuku grown.....but what else did you expect? Right?

Gators779
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Gators779 »

Another great QB was Brian Ah Yat for Iolani. May have been better than Kiran. He was part of what was one of their best teams ever ('93)--the year Iolani accomplished a rare feat of defeating Kamehameha, Punahou, and St. Louis in the same season and nearly won the ILH. A lot of people know what Ah Yat went on to accomplish at Montana as he became D1AA's best QB.

St. Louis may be a powerhouse in QB's, but the second-best team that's produced QB's may be Punahou. Darryl Kan (and later his son), Darryl Gabriel, Shawn Akina, Maka Puli, Jimmy Bennett, Noah King, Todd LaFountaine, John Morris--these guys were some of the best during their time.

HRC Paul
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HRC Paul »

Told Blane Gaison about this thread and he smiled. He said Kahuku had some great QBs with the Finai brothers. (Could be wrong spelling, not sure.) Dwight Toyama was there, too, and he agreed about the Finais.

Never saw them play. Anyone remember?

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

HRC Paul wrote:Told Blane Gaison about this thread and he smiled. He said Kahuku had some great QBs with the Finai brothers. (Could be wrong spelling, not sure.) Dwight Toyama was there, too, and he agreed about the Finais.

Never saw them play. Anyone remember?

I never saw them play, but read about them when I was a kid. I thought Pisa Finai was a TE/WR and Paufai Finai was an RB. Molia Salanoa was their QB. For some reason, I remember the kicker--Amani Magalei (maybe because he converted PATs).

I seem to recall an epic game for the OIA title back in 1971 or 1972 between Kahuku and Leilehua. Kahuku had the Finai brothers. Leilehua had the QB-WR tandem of Alex Kaloi and Rick Wagner. Kahuku was coached by Famika Anae and Leilehua was coached by Hugh Yoshida. I listened to the game on the radio, and think Paufai Finai returned a punt for a TD. I also recall the name of Fialele Edra being mentioned a lot. I think he was a D-Lineman for Leilehua.

I believe that Pisa went on to play at a D-1A school-perhaps BYU.

My recollection is foggy, but then again, I was in elementary school at the time. I may be way off.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: BEST QB

Post by Duster »

COACH BEE wrote:You know I'm going to chime in with Kahuku's greats...all who happen to be brothers in some sort of way. First of all:

The Santiago brothers: Lane and Walter. Lane Santiago one of the highly sought after QB's in the early 80's and then he blew both knees. He later went to play for UH and was converted over to defense as a safety. Lane was the only QB back then that could nearly throw the length of the field. As a kid he ended up winning the punt pass and kick competition both for the state and the Nation.
Walter Santiago was possibly the most complete QB in HS history, receiving All-State Honors his sophomore, junior and Senior year. He led Kahuku's 87 team to be the leading offense in the state only to never appear in the Prep Bowl due to a "scheduling" decision. He also went to UH and was converted to a Rover back and helped UH win its first WAC championship in years in 92.

Then you have the Funaki brothers: Kolo and Inoke. Inoke currently plays for our bows as a back up quarterback. He and his brother were instrumental in perpetuating Kahuku's offensive option attack while still mixing it up with a lethal passing game. You will probable agree that along with Timmy Chang, the Funaki brothers had not only an accurate arm but one charged like a cannon. Inoke, the younger of the two took the QB honors at the BYU QB camp, displaying his ability to simply be athletic. I can tell you, that this family does not own a TV in their home. Their father (Inoke Sr.) encouraged all of his children to choose one thing in life they would like to pursue, the sons chose QBing in football. He then challenged to dedicate ALL their free time to the pursuit of that dream...and they have.

But those are my picks, I know they are only Kahuku grown.....but what else did you expect? Right?
I remember watching Lane Santiago in the NFL Punt, Pass and Kick during a televised game. I recall Frank Gifford pronouncing his hometown correctly (was it Hauula or Laie). It gave my friends and I a sense of pride to see a fellow local competing on a national stage.

Duster
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by Duster »

From http://www.kahukufootball.org:

1970s
in 1971 we missed the OIA Championship title by a touchdown in the last two minuets. In 1972 we made it to the OIA Championship and had the game “that put the OIA on the map.” The 1972 OIA Championship game was considered to be the most exciting High School game in the 20th century. Picture this: Leilehua has a 29-28 lead over Kahuku. One minuet left in the game, ball on Kahuku’s 5 yard line (95 yards to go!). The fans are leaving the stadium. No hope? All hope was restored when Molia Salanoa (quarterback) ran 85 yards, set up a 10 yard pass to Pisa Finai, and we won the game (35-29)!

I guess my recollection was not too far off.