2024 Football Season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2024 Football Season

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@ChadFukuoka:

Yes, I knew everything you posted. I do like Kamehameha Schools, yet I'm uncomfortable saying I'm a fan of theirs, as stupid as that may sound. I don't care for Punahou School, yet I kept my mouth shut, out of consideration for Punahou alumni. I'm assuming they're ticked at Kamehameha Schools right now. Yet, guys may be surprised that there are even more reasons to be ticked at Punahou School. On the same day that the Warriors took those two state titles, the Puns took three, if I'm not mistaken. They did take the girls' track state title, and I'm about 95% sure they also took the boys' and girls' state tennis titles. These championships that the Warriors and the Puns took, were all won yesterday.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Note: Yesterday, the state individual tennis championships were held. You'd think that team titles were also decided, yet I couldn't find any info about which schools won the team titles. I'm assuming Punahou School won both the boys' and girls' titles, as they do that every year.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:14 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Note: Yesterday, the state individual tennis championships were held. You'd think that team titles were also decided, yet I couldn't find any info about which schools won the team titles. I'm assuming Punahou School won both the boys' and girls' titles, as they do that every year.
Yes, Punahou won both girls and boys state tennis team titles. It's listed on the HHSAA site, when you click on the tennis championships tab. St Louis also won the boys team title in track and field.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka: Yes, I knew St Louis won the boys' state track title.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Hate to report--though you probably know--that your alma mater lost to Pearl City, 3-2, in the state baseball tournament. The game went eleven innings. Something tells me errors might have had something to do with the outcome. While Pearl City played error-free ball, Aiea committed 4 errors. In a one-run game, 4 errors can be crucial. Aiea outhit Pearl City, 10-9, and one of Aiea's hits was a homer. Yet, they still lost. Doo-doo happens.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Since there's no softball thread, I'd like to post this on this thread. Just a few minutes ago, I went on ScoringLive, and I about fell off my chair. Campbell High beat Maryknoll School, 8-6, in the State tournament. The Spartans had scored 5 runs in the 1st, and I thought they were on their way; I didn't even follow the game after that. The Spartans are a heavy-hitting team with decent pitching. The Sabers hadn't even made the OIA final. I was totally shocked; Maryknoll alumni must be totally ticked. While I wasn't even paying attention to the game, the Sabers had a 5-run inning of their own, in the 5th. For the game, they ended-up outhitting the Spartans, 9-6. The Spartans had two homers, living-up to their power-hitting reputation, but the Sabers had a homer of their own. One thing that may have been critical was that the Spartans had 3 errors, while the Sabers played error-free ball. I'm still stunned at the outcome. Again, Maryknoll alumni must be ticked. This was definitely an upset. Saber pitcher Kaienna Fuentes-Arellano went the distance, pitching the entire game. I had never even heard of her. Meanwhile, the Sabers chased Spartan pitcher Kasi Cruz in the 5th. Cruz was outstanding for much of the season. Campbell alumni must be giddy, and on cloud nine.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:37 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Hate to report--though you probably know--that your alma mater lost to Pearl City, 3-2, in the state baseball tournament. The game went eleven innings. Something tells me errors might have had something to do with the outcome. While Pearl City played error-free ball, Aiea committed 4 errors. In a one-run game, 4 errors can be crucial. Aiea outhit Pearl City, 10-9, and one of Aiea's hits was a homer. Yet, they still lost. Doo-doo happens.
Yes, I did see the score. It is rare for a high school game to go 11 innings. I wonder how that affects Pearl City's pitching staff, who plays top seed Kamehemeha tonight

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:13 am Since there's no softball thread, I'd like to post this on this thread. Just a few minutes ago, I went on ScoringLive, and I about fell off my chair. Campbell High beat Maryknoll School, 8-6, in the State tournament. The Spartans had scored 5 runs in the 1st, and I thought they were on their way; I didn't even follow the game after that. The Spartans are a heavy-hitting team with decent pitching. The Sabers hadn't even made the OIA final. I was totally shocked; Maryknoll alumni must be totally ticked. While I wasn't even paying attention to the game, the Sabers had a 5-run inning of their own, in the 5th. For the game, they ended-up outhitting the Spartans, 9-6. The Spartans had two homers, living-up to their power-hitting reputation, but the Sabers had a homer of their own. One thing that may have been critical was that the Spartans had 3 errors, while the Sabers played error-free ball. I'm still stunned at the outcome. Again, Maryknoll alumni must be ticked. This was definitely an upset. Saber pitcher Kaienna Fuentes-Arellano went the distance, pitching the entire game. I had never even heard of her. Meanwhile, the Sabers chased Spartan pitcher Kasi Cruz in the 5th. Cruz was outstanding for much of the season. Campbell alumni must be giddy, and on cloud nine.
While Campbell may not be the best team in the state, at least on paper or by seeding, they have been elite over the past decade. So maybe it's not as much of a surprise. I think they will likely play Mililani, the top seed, in the semifinal tomorrow. Assuming Mililani wins tonight over Kalani, they are up 5-0 in the first inning.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:22 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:37 pm @ChadFukuoka:

Yes, I did see the score. It is rare for a high school game to go 11 innings. I wonder how that affects Pearl City's pitching staff, who plays top seed Kamehemeha tonight
@ChadFukuoka:
Well, the Chargers used 4 pitchers, but they threw the starter--Devin Fujino--for 5 innings. I'm assuming he's their ace. At the moment, Kamehameha leads Pearl City, 4-0, and it's the bottom of the 6th.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:25 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:13 am Since there's no softball thread, I'd like to post this on this thread. Just a few minutes ago, I went on ScoringLive, and I about fell off my chair. Campbell High beat Maryknoll School, 8-6, in the State tournament. The Spartans had scored 5 runs in the 1st, and I thought they were on their way; I didn't even follow the game after that. The Spartans are a heavy-hitting team with decent pitching. The Sabers hadn't even made the OIA final. I was totally shocked; Maryknoll alumni must be totally ticked. While I wasn't even paying attention to the game, the Sabers had a 5-run inning of their own, in the 5th. For the game, they ended-up outhitting the Spartans, 9-6. The Spartans had two homers, living-up to their power-hitting reputation, but the Sabers had a homer of their own. One thing that may have been critical was that the Spartans had 3 errors, while the Sabers played error-free ball. I'm still stunned at the outcome. Again, Maryknoll alumni must be ticked. This was definitely an upset. Saber pitcher Kaienna Fuentes-Arellano went the distance, pitching the entire game. I had never even heard of her. Meanwhile, the Sabers chased Spartan pitcher Kasi Cruz in the 5th. Cruz was outstanding for much of the season. Campbell alumni must be giddy, and on cloud nine.
While Campbell may not be the best team in the state, at least on paper or by seeding, they have been elite over the past decade. So maybe it's not as much of a surprise. I think they will likely play Mililani, the top seed, in the semifinal tomorrow. Assuming Mililani wins tonight over Kalani, they are up 5-0 in the first inning.
@ChadFukuoka:
Mililani is now up 12-0, and it's still the 1st inning. The game is on a temporary rain-delay.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

The D1 baseball final was basically declared a tie with Baldwin and Maui being co champs, since the game was called off tied 2-2 in the 3rd inning.

I'm assuming the same situation would occur if the game was tied? If one team was ahead, the result would be a tie since the full 7 innings weren't completed, (or 5 innings if one team was ahead by 10 or more). I'd assume the coaches for both teams would have some input with the umpires? Or is there an official rule for this situation if a championship game can't be completed?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

I can't be certain, but I'd think it's the head ump's call as to when a game has to be called due to inclement weather. I'm assuming he'd go to the end of the bottom of whatever inning, then he'd have the authority to call the game. Let's say the Sabers were up 2-1 at the end of the 3rd. Then, Maui High would/should be declared the winner and the champ. That's what I would recommend.

While I'm here, I'd like to vent at Kamehameha Schools' softball team. As a guy who likes that school, I was ticked at their performance. The "D" was OK; they had only one more error than Mililani High did. But, their pitching and hitting totally sucked. To be humiliated, 14-1, in the televised D1 state title game, is inexcusable. I'd bet Kamehameha alumni are ticked, and I can't blame them. It's not like the Warriors don't have power; they do. Look at the HRs they've had since the season began. To be held to one run, with that kind of power, is inexcusable.

I feel a little better now.