What was Larry Price's Hula T offense?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

What was Larry Price's Hula T offense?

Post by cabanalane »

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2023/06/ ... -everyone/

Got the story from here. Alex Kaloi beat out June Jones for the starting QB job to run Larry Price's "Hula T" offense.

Ok, let's leave W-L record out.

You know how the QB on the bench (not playing) with the headset on often becomes the successful coach. Just wondering how much of an influence did the Hula T offense had on JJ's offense, as a coach? Or was it more of an example of what "not to do?"

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: What was Larry Price's Hula T offense?

Post by RedZone »

Hula T was not very pretty. Very painful to watch. At that time I really missed Coach Holmes Pro Set offense.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

uhwarriors

Post by uhwarriors »

This is a post I did in 2006 about the Hula T and Alex Kaloi.
uhwarriors wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:29 pm Okay, I'm not admitting to being an "oldtimer" but I do remember the "Hula T". The basic set was an "I" formation with a SE, TE and FL/WB. The FL sometimes was split out wide to the strong side , but more often was a WB on either the weak side or the strong side.

The running plays were isolation, sweeps, sprint draw and some option. The passing plays were usually sprint out with short and medium routes.

Alex Kaloi who was the QB was very mobile and could throw on the run. He was also a pretty good runner and once went about 50 yards for a TD on an audibled QB sneek. If I recall correctly, Kaloi had one more year of eligibility but had graduated and he decided to go to dental school rather than play another year. He is now a well known dentist in the Waianae area and his daughters were star tennis players at Kamehameha.

Joe McReynolds, a transfer from Oklahoma was the QB who took over when Kaloi got hurt. He wasn't a good passer but he ran the option well but wasn't fast enough to be a breakaway threat. He was powerful and really should have been a RB or TE.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Thanks uhwarriors. The Hula T was slightly before my time. I only got to see the last game of Coach Price's tenure - the Nebraska disaster, and don't remember anything about the Hula T, perhaps because they only scored 3 points.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.