Iam Tongi wins American Idol.

Don't feel like talking sports? This public forum is the place to do it!
SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Iam Tongi wins American Idol.

Post by SundayJam »

Link

While I am not a fan of American Idol, the winnah caught my eye. This video, in particular, did it for me. It reminded me of the Hawaii I knew and still love. I grew up in Kailua, and have been to Kahuku, Waianae, and Waimanalo...among other well-springs of Hawaiian culture. Aloha, braddah Iam.

Walkoff Balk
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: Iam Tongi wins American Idol.

Post by Walkoff Balk »

I don't watch American Idol. Does Tongi have a signature song? Braddah Iz has "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" which gives you chicken skin when played during Senior Night for UH graduating athletes.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Walkoff Balk wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:32 pm I don't watch American Idol. Does Tongi have a signature song? Braddah Iz has "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" which gives you chicken skin when played during Senior Night for UH graduating athletes.
Well, Gabby 'n Sons, along with C&K and Kalapana were my generation. I don't know enough first hand having not lived there for some time now, but I think this kid is legit. He wrote a song about saying goodbye to his dying father that brought just about everyone worldwide to tears. He definitely reminds me of Israel, but he lacks the Makaha Sons of Niihau background. He's only 18.

My bad. That was also a cover. Still, the kid has some talent. I wish him the best.

I am far removed from most of the Sportshawaii Ohana. Man, how time has flown. I find it hard to believe that both Jack Johnson and Tom Cruz are now OG's.

Link

Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NBA: Atlanta Hawks
NFL: San Diego Chargers

Post by Scott »

I don't watch American Idol either but his two performances of Monsters by and with James Blunt were amazing! Great job bringing home the championship!!!

Link

Link
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

Mahalo,
Scott
http://www.sportshawaii.com
"Hawaii's Fan Based Sports Page"

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

SundayJam wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:54 pm

Well, Gabby 'n Sons, along with C&K and Kalapana were my generation. I don't know enough first hand having not lived there for some time now, but I think this kid is legit. He wrote a song about saying goodbye to his dying father that brought just about everyone worldwide to tears. He definitely reminds me of Israel, but he lacks the Makaha Sons of Niihau background. He's only 18.
Same here. I actually heard about Iam from a friend on the mainland. Then I tuned in.

Agree also on the other part. There has been an evolution of "Hawaiian" music, just like all others.

Sort of related, not trying to be the health police. Braddah IZ died too early because of his weight. Consider Iam will have a bright future, may be a good idea to take care of his body. In the words of IZ. "We are spirit, the body is just a shell." I get that.

I forget the group's name now, without looking. Timo (the lead) used to be a big boy, but he slimed down I last recall. No one is perfect, but least try to take care of one's health.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

Well, the issue of health is a little more complicated. Plenty of 'monstahs' have lived to a proper age. All I can say, after watching this kid's performances, is that he shines brightly. He only performed covers, but he did 'em better than the originals...including Blunt. I see nothing but talent and ALOHA in this kid.