Kamehameha on the rise in ILH

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Kamehameha on the rise in ILH

Post by locomoko »

What a Spring for KS-Kapalama: conquered the ILH gauntlet in Baseball, took down Iolani in Softball, unseated Punahou in Girls Water Polo, and distancing from Punahou in Boys Volleyball. Something's clicking in Kapalama Heights.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Kamehameha on the rise in ILH

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

locomoko wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:59 am What a Spring for KS-Kapalama: conquered the ILH gauntlet in Baseball, took down Iolani in Softball, unseated Punahou in Girls Water Polo, and distancing from Punahou in Boys Volleyball. Something's clicking in Kapalama Heights.
@locomoko:

True, and I'd assume Kamehameha alumni are stoked about it. That school is having a very lucky Spring sports season. Other schools have kicked butt like that before. Iolani School had a good Fall sports season. Punahou School has a good sports season the entire school year, almost every year, though not this one, perhaps; Kamehameha is stealing the show this year. Mililani High is having a kick-butt Spring sports season; so are Campbell High and Moanalua High. Mililani is like the Punahou of the OIA; they seem to kick butt in sports every year, Fall and Spring.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:19 am
locomoko wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:59 am What a Spring for KS-Kapalama: conquered the ILH gauntlet in Baseball, took down Iolani in Softball, unseated Punahou in Girls Water Polo, and distancing from Punahou in Boys Volleyball. Something's clicking in Kapalama Heights.
@locomoko:

True, and I'd assume Kamehameha alumni are stoked about it. That school is having a very lucky Spring sports season. Other schools have kicked butt like that before. Iolani School had a good Fall sports season. Punahou School has a good sports season the entire school year, almost every year, though not this one, perhaps; Kamehameha is stealing the show this year. Mililani High is having a kick-butt Spring sports season; so are Campbell High and Moanalua High. Mililani is like the Punahou of the OIA; they seem to kick butt in sports every year, Fall and Spring.
Moanalua boys volleyball has a chance to win states, and the sport has always been dominated by private schools.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:50 am
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:19 am
@locomoko:

Moanalua boys volleyball has a chance to win states, and the sport has always been dominated by private schools.
@ChadFukuoka:

Well, I think earlier this month, Punahou beat Moanalua, 3-2, in some tournament. Last I had heard, Moanalua was ranked #8 in the nation, but they probably dropped in the rankings after losing to Punahou. I do suspect that Kamehameha wants to beat Moanalua in the worst way. Why? Moanalua beat Kamehameha last year in the State semifinals. I wouldn't be surprised if Kamehameha's players--especially those who were on last year's team--are thinking: "Menes, gonna make you pay!" Just the way Mr T would likely have said it on the '80s TV show, "A Team."

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

While we're talking on this thread about what a great Spring Kamehameha is having in sports, including baseball, sympathy is in order for Pearl City alumni. Why? What happened? Pearl City lost to Kaiser in baseball today, 7-6. And, here's what makes it worse: The game went twelve innings. That's right; twelve innings. High school games are 7 innings, of course, so here was a game that was almost two games long. To make matters worse for Pearl City alumni, it might have been an elimination game, which would mean Pearl City's season is over. So, I'd like to extend sympathy to Pearl City alumni. I mean, for them, that game sucked. Their alma mater lost, in twelve innings, and, their season might have ended with that loss.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Wait; I just found-out that Hilo will play the 6th-place OIA school for the last berth in the D1 state tourney. Question is: Is Kaiser that 6th-place team, or is it Pearl City? I don't know. Anyway, having won today's marathon game against Pearl City, Kaiser is moving-on, for at least one more game. As for Pearl City, I don't know if they're done, having lost today's game to Kaiser, or whether now they have to play Hilo. Whichever team will play Hilo, has to fly to the Big Island to play them.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Pearl City alumni still smarting from yesterday's 7-6, 12-inning loss to Kaiser, might be interested to learn that Kaiser lost to Moanalua today, 10-4.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:24 pm Wait; I just found-out that Hilo will play the 6th-place OIA school for the last berth in the D1 state tourney. Question is: Is Kaiser that 6th-place team, or is it Pearl City? I don't know. Anyway, having won today's marathon game against Pearl City, Kaiser is moving-on, for at least one more game. As for Pearl City, I don't know if they're done, having lost today's game to Kaiser, or whether now they have to play Hilo. Whichever team will play Hilo, has to fly to the Big Island to play them.
I found-out today (Apr 28) that the 6th-place team is Kaiser. So, looks like Pearl City is done. Still, now the Cougars have to fly to the Big Island to play Hilo. That's an expense and a logistical hassle, and it's all for only one game. No problem if the Vikings had to fly here; that would be their problem. But, no: The Cougars have to fly there. If I were the Pearl City HC, I'd be relieved that me and my coaching staff won't have to deal with that. Also, I don't know if the parents of the Kaiser players have to shell-out for airfare, etc. So, that loss to Kaiser might have been a blessing in disguise for the Pearl City team and coaching staff. Don't forget that the Pearl City players would have had to make-up whatever school work they missed, when they returned.

Note: Kaiser is the 6th-place team because they lost yesterday to Moanalua, 10-4. That was the 5th-place game.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

I saw Kamehameha even has youth football teams now (coached by former Waianae HC Walter Young). Not a bad time to start investing into football again with the Lee's winding down at Saint Louis.

I wonder what they're admission protocols are nowadays. I know for a while it was about trying to get more "well-rounded" students but maybe now they're just trying to get the best of the best in more specific aspects

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Neighbor wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:45 pm I saw Kamehameha even has youth football teams now (coached by former Waianae HC Walter Young). Not a bad time to start investing into football again with the Lee's winding down at Saint Louis.

I wonder what they're admission protocols are nowadays. I know for a while it was about trying to get more "well-rounded" students but maybe now they're just trying to get the best of the best in more specific aspects
I can’t imagine KSK enjoys being the position we were in in football between 1997 and 2004, where we never finished above third, never beat SLS, and only beat KSK once. We couldn’t even compile a winning record against Iolani.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Neighbor wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:45 pm I saw Kamehameha even has youth football teams now (coached by former Waianae HC Walter Young). Not a bad time to start investing into football again with the Lee's winding down at Saint Louis.

@Neighbor:
My understanding is that admission at Kamehameha Schools is almost strictly by lottery. There was a time in the early-1970s when you had to TEST to get in.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@Neighbor:
My understanding is that admission at Kamehameha Schools is almost strictly by lottery. There was a time in the early-1970s when you had to TEST to get in.
gopunahou wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:52 am

I can’t imagine KSK enjoys being the position we were in in football between 1997 and 2004, where we never finished above third, never beat SLS, and only beat KSK once. We couldn’t even compile a winning record against Iolani.
@gopunahou:

As you know, I am unfortunately not a big fan of your alma mater. Nonetheless, Punahou football HC Kia--who, like you, is also a Punahou alumnus--has built quite a formidable football team. (Unfortunately,) I'm expecting Punahou to win ILH D1 again. Yes, there was a time during the late-'90s when Iolani School could go toe-to-toe with Punahou School in football, but those days are long gone. The Raiders have neither the size nor the talent to stay with the Puns in football today; they just don't. It is what it is.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Sorry; Punahou is in ILH Open, not D1. But, I expect them to take it again this coming season.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:15 pm Sorry; Punahou is in ILH Open, not D1. But, I expect them to take it again this coming season.
One consolation for you is that Kahuku looks to be just as tough as last year. So they might win the state open title over Punahou, if both teams make the championship game.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:00 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:15 pm Sorry; Punahou is in ILH Open, not D1. But, I expect them to take it again this coming season.
One consolation for you is that Kahuku looks to be just as tough as last year. So they might win the state open title over Punahou, if both teams make the championship game.
@ChadFukuoka:

Yes. I'm predicting that the same two schools will be playing again for the State Open title: Kahuku and Punahou. I think Kahuku will be a little better than Punahou, but not by much. I wouldn't be surprised if the winning school wins by no more than one TD. I'm hoping Kahuku's JV had some buttkicking players who will now be on the vars this coming season.