Way early Open/D-I Top Ten.

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Way early Open/D-I Top Ten.

Post by unpaid »

Way early 2023 Open/D-I Top Ten

I have tried to quantify each teams talent level with my own version of Sabermetrics that results in a point total for each squad.The three teams at the top were the only schools with double digit totals and,to me, the state champ is likely going to be from that group.

1.Kahuku 19pts.If the new starter at QB proves to be a plug and play guy(whoever it is) I really like Kahuku’s chances. There’s 3star Kaimana Carvalho to catch balls,return Kicks etc. A load of big guys up front like 3star Filivaa Saluni,Vaea Ikakoula,and Kamala Raass make for a usual formidable Oline.Vaa Fonoti returns at RB. Defense is where the Red Raiders should really shine though.3-star Hyrum Moors on the Dline, 3star Max Fonoimoana at LB,along with a bevy of DB’s like 4star Aiden Manutai, Madden Soliai,and Terahiti Wolfe.

2.Punahou 15 pts. 3star Ty McCutcheon has been developing and waiting patiently the past few years to take over the QB role.Should be no worries there. 3star OL KJ Hallums has transferred to Bishop Gorman but,Caleb Rhinelander, and 3-starTuineau Muti will move defenders around up front. The receivers are dependable with 2star Astin Hange leading the way. Alai Williams 6-0 205 is a strong runner. The defense features 3stars Kekai Burnett DL and Ko’o Kia LB. Agenhart Ellis leads the Db’s.

3.St.Louis 10 pts.. How good will the new starting QB be? That’s the wild card for the Crusaders. It will decide whether they get down to the wire or, a 3 or 4 loss season. There’s a lot to like elsewhere with 3stars Houston Kaahaina-Torres and Rustin Young on a slimmed down,more mobile OL. Titan Lacaden returns at WR. As usual, the strength of the defense will be at LB with 3star Noah Wily. Blue chip LB Anelu Lafaele transferred to Farrington.

4.Campbell 12pts. 3star passing duo of QB Jaron-Keawe Sagapolutele and Tana Togafau-Tavui should put up plenty of points on the scoreboard. 3star DB Kela Moore patrols the defensive backfield and 3star DL transfer Zaiden Wallace bolsters the line.

5. Mililani 9pts. The Trojans will hang with most teams on defense with players like DL Jabiel Lauvao, and 3star talents Ethan Biondine LB and S Isaiah Iosefa. QB Kini McMillan and WR Onosai Salanoa charge the offense. Now, if they could just produce a 1,000 yard rusher.

6.Aiea 9pts. Preston Taumua is a blue-chip OL who will free up QB Ezekiel Olie and WR Jayden Chanel to do their passing thing. Na Alii defense features rangy 3star linebacker Aizik Mahuka.

7.Kamehameha 6pts. Defense is where Warriors will shine with 3stars Tristan Waiamau-Galindo DL/LB and Naizaiah Caravallo
DE. Kamehameha needs big improvements in the offense.

8.Konawaena 2-pts.3star WR Zedekiah Anahu-Ambrosio transferred to Bishop Gorman.QB Keoki Alani and do-a-bit-of-everything Nakoa Ige should make it a good season for the Wildcats.

9.Kapolei 1pt.A 3star DL transferred out, but Liatama Amisone should return at QB.

10.Waipahu 1pt. Anieli Talaeai handles the rushing workload.

Other 1pt.totals: Iolani,Maui.
Last edited by unpaid on Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:23 am, edited 10 times in total.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: Way early Open/D-I Top Ten.

Post by unpaid »

I stopped doing a D-II rank a few years ago, but I still follow those teams.

Waimea is my favorite for the state championship this fall. Contenders should be King Kekaulike,Kaiser,Kaimuki,Kamehameha-Hawaii,and Kamehameha-Maui.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I’m redoing team capsules after the last two transfers by elite players affected the strength of some of the teams .

GentlemanOfTheLou
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by GentlemanOfTheLou »

unpaid wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:39 am Way early 2023 Open/D-I Top Ten

I have tried to quantify each teams talent level with my own version of Sabermetrics that results in a point total for each squad.The three teams at the top were the only schools with double digit totals and,to me, the state champ is likely going to be from that group.

1.Kahuku 19pts.If the new starter at QB proves to be a plug and play guy(whoever it is) I really like Kahuku’s chances. There’s 3star Kaimana Carvalho to catch balls,return Kicks etc. A load of big guys up front like 3star Filivaa Saluni,Vaea Ikakoula,and Kamala Raass make for a usual formidable Oline.Vaa Fonoti returns at RB. Defense is where the Red Raiders should really shine though.Hyrum Moors on the Dline, 3star Max Fonoimoana at LB,along with a bevy of DB’s like 4star Aiden Manutai, Madden Soliai,and Terahiti Wolfe.

2.Punahou 15 pts. 3star Ty McCutcheon has been developing and waiting patiently the past few years to take over the QB role.Should be no worries there. 3star OL KJ Hallums has transferred to Bishop Gorman but,Caleb Rhinelander, and Tuineau Muti will move defenders around up front. The receivers are dependable with 2star Astin Hange leading the way. Alai Williams 6-0 205 is a strong runner. The defense features 3stars Kekai Burnett DL and Ko’o Kia LB. Agenhart Ellis leads the Db’s.

3.St.Louis 10 pts.. How good will the new starting QB be? That’s the wild card for the Crusaders. It will decide whether they get down to the wire or, a 3 or 4 loss season. There’s a lot to like elsewhere with 3stars Houston Kaahaina-Torres and Rustin Young on a slimmed down,more mobile OL. Titan Lacaden returns at WR. As usual, the strength of the defense will be at LB with 3star Noah Wily. Blue chip LB Anelu Lafaele transferred to Farrington.

4.Campbell 12pts. 3star passing duo of QB Jaron-Keawe Sagapolutele and Tana Togafau-Tavui should put up plenty of points on the scoreboard. 3star DB Kela Moore patrols the defensive backfield and 3star DL transfer Zaiden Wallace bolsters the line.

5. Mililani 9pts. The Trojans will hang with most teams on defense with players like DL Jabiel Lauvao, and 3star talents Ethan Biondine LB and S Isaiah Iosefa. QB Kini McMillan and WR Onosai Salanoa charge the offense. Now, if they could just produce a 1,000 yard rusher.

6.Aiea 9pts. Preston Taumua is a blue-chip OL who will free up QB Ezekiel Olie and WR Jayden Chanel to do their passing thing. Na Alii defense features rangy 3star linebacker Aizik Mahuka.

7.Kamehameha 6pts. Defense is where Warriors will shine with 3stars Tristan Waiamau-Galindo DL/LB and Naizaiah Caravallo

8.Konawaena 5 pts. Zedekiah Anahi-Ambrosio is a 3star WR. QB Keoki Alani and do-a-bit-of-everything Nakoa Ige should make it a good season for the Wildcats.

9.Kapolei 1pt.A 3star DL transferred out, but Liatama Amisone should return at QB.

I feel like losing KJ might be a huge loss for Punahou. I don’t think they have the depth to replace a loss as big as that. Muti and their center looks solid, however I think the rest of their O line may be struggling. However, Ty is a very talented QB and could adjust to those changes, but if they don’t…I see Saint Louis taking the ILH back especially with the returning offense they have coming into this year. I also see Mililani roughing it out and beating Campbell for that #2 OIA spot. Campbell made some good gains with recruits like Zaiden Wallace coming onto their team, however I think Mililani’s offense is a powerhouse if they get their run game going, if they don’t though, Campbell might beat them after all.

Gridiron88
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Gridiron88 »

GentlemanOfTheLou wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:01 am
unpaid wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:39 am Way early 2023 Open/D-I Top Ten

1.Kahuku 19pts.If the new starter at QB proves to be a plug and play guy(whoever it is) I really like Kahuku’s chances. There’s 3star Kaimana Carvalho to catch balls,return Kicks etc. A load of big guys up front like 3star Filivaa Saluni,Vaea Ikakoula,and Kamala Raass make for a usual formidable Oline.Vaa Fonoti returns at RB. Defense is where the Red Raiders should really shine though.Hyrum Moors on the Dline, 3star Max Fonoimoana at LB,along with a bevy of DB’s like 4star Aiden Manutai, Madden Soliai,and Terahiti Wolfe.

2.Punahou 15 pts. 3star Ty McCutcheon has been developing and waiting patiently the past few years to take over the QB role.Should be no worries there. 3star OL KJ Hallums has transferred to Bishop Gorman but,Caleb Rhinelander, and Tuineau Muti will move defenders around up front. The receivers are dependable with 2star Astin Hange leading the way. Alai Williams 6-0 205 is a strong runner. The defense features 3stars Kekai Burnett DL and Ko’o Kia LB. Agenhart Ellis leads the Db’s.

8.Konawaena 5 pts. Zedekiah Anahi-Ambrosio is a 3star WR. QB Keoki Alani and do-a-bit-of-everything Nakoa Ige should make it a good season for the Wildcats.

I feel like losing KJ might be a huge loss for Punahou. I don’t think they have the depth to replace a loss as big as that. Muti and their center looks solid, however I think the rest of their O line may be struggling. However, Ty is a very talented QB and could adjust to those changes, but if they don’t…I see Saint Louis taking the ILH back especially with the returning offense they have coming into this year. I also see Mililani roughing it out and beating Campbell for that #2 OIA spot. Campbell made some good gains with recruits like Zaiden Wallace coming onto their team, however I think Mililani’s offense is a powerhouse if they get their run game going, if they don’t though, Campbell might beat them after all.
2 bad St. Lulu get no chance of beating Kahuku.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

My prediction for the result of the OIA blending Open and D-I team schedules is that there will be more blowouts. The only schools I can see really being happy are the bottom three Open teams who can pick up three wins they might not have gotten otherwise.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

unpaid wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:48 am My prediction for the result of the OIA blending Open and D-I team schedules is that there will be more blowouts. The only schools I can see really being happy are the bottom three Open teams who can pick up three wins they might not have gotten otherwise.
What does this mean? Are the Open and D1 standings combined? Are they two separate divisions?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

OIA Open and OIA D-I remain separate leagues with their own standings and playoffs to determine who reps the OIA in Open and D-1 at states.

The OIA Open is down to six teams with Leilehua dropping down to D-I this year, so scheduling a full slate of games was the problem for the Open OIA schools.Playing each other once only nets five games.Could have done a double round robin like the ILH Open does but then they would have ten games and that would mean Kahuku,for instance , would probably have had to cancel St.John Bosco and Mater Dei on the scheduling conflicts alone.

What the OIA came up with was to have the Open schools each play three OIA D-I schools. That gets the Open teams an eight-game schedule with enough holes to allow for interstate or inter island games.

Ironically, if the OIA had not left the Alliance with the ILH, this situation need not have happened.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:30 am OIA Open and OIA D-I remain separate leagues with their own standings and playoffs to determine who reps the OIA in Open and D-1 at states.

The OIA Open is down to six teams with Leilehua dropping down to D-I this year, so scheduling a full slate of games was the problem for the Open OIA schools.Playing each other once only nets five games.Could have done a double round robin like the ILH Open does but then they would have ten games and that would mean Kahuku,for instance , would probably have had to cancel St.John Bosco and Mater Dei on the scheduling conflicts alone.

What the OIA came up with was to have the Open schools each play three OIA D-I schools. That gets the Open teams an eight-game schedule with enough holes to allow for interstate or inter island games.

Ironically, if the OIA had not left the Alliance with the ILH, this situation need not have happened.
Don’t think the OIA would prefer to go back to the alliance if it hurts their teams’ chances of scheduling games against mainland powerhouses.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Wow. This new OIA Open /D-I blended scheduling gets weirder the more you dig into it.

MaxPreps has Kapolei’s full schedule online. Apparently the OIA has created two pods with three Open teams and four D-I teams in each pod. Kapolei,Mililani,and Waianae are in one pod with Radford,Waipahu,Kailua and Castle. Kapolei is not playing Kahuku,Campbell,or Moanalua in the regular season. Those three teams are in the other pod. I guess that explains why all Six Open teams make the OIA playoffs….because they don’t all play each other in the regular season anymore under the new format. Sounds like a jumbled up mess to me.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

With the transfer news coming out of Aiea,I am revising
my preseason rank to reflect additions to and subtractions from some of the teams I have in the way early Top Ten.

1.Kahuku 19 pts.No change.
2.Punahou 18 pts. No change. Cavaco-Amoy achieved 3star status.
3.Campbell 14 pts. OL Tavui achieved 2star recruit status.
4.Mililani 12 pts. Trojans pick up a 3-star LB.
5.St. Louis 10 pts.
6.Waipahu 7pts.Marauders pick up a 4-star OL and several solid role players to move up four spots.
7.Kamehameha 6pts.
8.Konawaena 2 pts.
9.Aiea 2pts. Heavy losses in the transfer portal.Drop three spots.
10.Kapolei 1pt.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://bedrocksportshawaii.com/kahuku- ... n-top-300/ https://twitter.com/bedrocksportshi/status/1674195079400165376 https://twitter.com/billyhull/status/1675302493948100610
Kahuku enters football season ranked in MaxPreps Top 100
By Billy Hull July 1, 2023

Two-time defending Hawaii Open Division state champion Kahuku debuted at No. 61 in the first MaxPreps national top 100 football rankings released Thursday.

Kahuku played two top-10 teams in the country last season. The Red Raiders lost 22-15 to Saint Frances (Md.) Academy at home and were defeated by eventual MaxPreps national champion St. John Bosco (Calif.) 34-7 in Bellflower, Calif.

Saint Frances is ranked sixth in the preseason rankings this year ,with Mater Dei (Calif.) leading the way at No. 1, followed by Bishop Gorman (Nev.) and St. John Bosco.

Kahuku, which opens its season at home on Aug. 12 against Waianae, will play Mater Dei and St. John Bosco in consecutive weeks.

The Red Raiders will fly to California for the second consecutive season for a game against the Monarchs on Sept. 8 and then return to host the Braves on Sept. 16 at Carlton E. Weimer Field.

Centennial (Calif.), which debuted at No. 15 in the MaxPreps national rankings, will play Punahou on Sept. 2 in San Diego.
Last edited by kapakahi on Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Kahuku ranks a little higher on Highschoolfootballamerica preseason Top 300 coming in at No.51. Similar to the rank kapakahi quotes, Kahuku is also the only Hawaii team on the HSFA rank.

Punahou should be getting some love here,but I guess it’s not happening unless they beat Corona Centennial.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Highschoolfootballamerica.com released its Preseason Hawaii Top Ten.

1.Kahuku
2.Punahou
3.Mililani
4.St. Louis
5.Campbell
6.Iolani
7.Kapolei
8.Konawaena
9.Lahainaluna
10.Kamehameha