Favorite HS football players of all time?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
BowTow
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Favorite HS football players of all time?

Post by BowTow »

Marciel also tried using Brian Cabral as a running back that same year. Like Matsushima, Cabral lacked the natural instincts of a running back. Physically Cabral was a beast. Cabral did go on to become a starting linebacker for the Chicago Bears.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

BowTow wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:47 am Marciel also tried using Brian Cabral as a running back that same year. Like Matsushima, Cabral lacked the natural instincts of a running back. Physically Cabral was a beast. Cabral did go on to become a starting linebacker for the Chicago Bears.
@BowTow: Yes, I remember Cabral as a player for Chicago. I didn't know Cabral was on that same '73 St Louis team as Matsushima. No wonder they got past Punahou that year; that year, Punahou had RB Mosi Tatupu, one of the greatest RBs in Hawaii high school history. Of course, he went on to become a starting RB for the New England Patriots. (Don't know if they were still called the Boston Patriots then.)

BowTow

Post by BowTow »

@BowTow: Yes, I remember Cabral as a player for Chicago. I didn't know Cabral was on that same '73 St Louis team as Matsushima. No wonder they got past Punahou that year; that year, Punahou had RB Mosi Tatupu, one of the greatest RBs in Hawaii high school history. Of course, he went on to become a starting RB for the New England Patriots. (Don't know if they were still called the Boston Patriots then.)
[/quote]
This team also had junior linebacker Gary Kama. Kama went on to star as a middle linebacker at BYU. I don't think Kama made it to the NFL, but ended up in Canada.
I'm not positive but I believe Bryan Hanawahine was also on this team. Hanawahine was a 4 letter winner at the University of Hawaii (75-78), and if memory is correct, he was a starting cornerback.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

BowTow wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:32 pm @BowTow: Yes, I remember Cabral as a player for Chicago. I didn't know Cabral was on that same '73 St Louis team as Matsushima. No wonder they got past Punahou that year; that year, Punahou had RB Mosi Tatupu, one of the greatest RBs in Hawaii high school history. Of course, he went on to become a starting RB for the New England Patriots. (Don't know if they were still called the Boston Patriots then.)
This team also had junior linebacker Gary Kama. Kama went on to star as a middle linebacker at BYU. I don't think Kama made it to the NFL, but ended up in Canada.
I'm not positive but I believe Bryan Hanawahine was also on this team. Hanawahine was a 4 letter winner at the University of Hawaii (75-78), and if memory is correct, he was a starting cornerback.
[/quote]

@BowTow:

OK. I'm not familiar with either Kama or Hanawahine. But now that you've mentioned UH's '75-'78 teams, one other player who does come to my mind is Chris Laboy. I think he's a Farrington alumnus, possibly Class of '74, I'm not sure. I think he might have played at LB, I'm not sure. If not LB, I think he played D, at some position. He wasn't that big, so I'd be surprised if he played D-line.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:48 pm
BowTow wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:32 pm @BowTow: Yes, I remember Cabral as a player for Chicago. I didn't know Cabral was on that same '73 St Louis team as Matsushima. No wonder they got past Punahou that year; that year, Punahou had RB Mosi Tatupu, one of the greatest RBs in Hawaii high school history. Of course, he went on to become a starting RB for the New England Patriots. (Don't know if they were still called the Boston Patriots then.)
@BowTow:

OK. I'm not familiar with either Kama or Hanawahine. But now that you've mentioned UH's '75-'78 teams, one other player who does come to my mind is Chris Laboy. I think he's a Farrington alumnus, possibly Class of '74, I'm not sure. I think he might have played at LB, I'm not sure. If not LB, I think he played D, at some position. He wasn't that big, so I'd be surprised if he played D-line.
[/quote]

Is Chris Laboy the father of Travis Laboy, who also played linebacker at UH?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:19 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:48 pm
@BowTow:

Is Chris Laboy the father of Travis Laboy, who also played linebacker at UH?
[/quote]

@ChadFukuoka:

I'm not sure. Probably. Laboy isn't that common a surname.

BowTow

Post by BowTow »

Cliff Laboy is the dad of Travis but I believe Travis was raised on the mainland by his mom. I don't know how involved Cliff was with Travis's upbringing. Cliff was older than Hanawahine and their playing time at UH may have overlapped by a year or two.

Vinnie Passas was also a starting QB that SLH team. Coach Marciel platooned Passas with junior QB Darwin Luna.. It was like a hurry up offense with one QB running 2 plays then the other (along with fresh receivers) would come. I don't believe they did this all season.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

BowTow wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:12 am Cliff Laboy is the dad of Travis but I believe Travis was raised on the mainland by his mom. I don't know how involved Cliff was with Travis's upbringing. Cliff was older than Hanawahine and their playing time at UH may have overlapped by a year or two.

Vinnie Passas was also a starting QB that SLH team. Coach Marciel platooned Passas with junior QB Darwin Luna.. It was like a hurry up offense with one QB running 2 plays then the other (along with fresh receivers) would come. I don't believe they did this all season.
@BowTow:

Oh, that's right; it's Cliff Laboy, not Chris. Hey; you must be older than I, to remember that well. And, heck! I didn't know Passas was the QB! No wonder St Louis beat Punahou for the ILH title that year. Punahou RB Tatupu was a one-man wrecking crew. With all that talent on the St Louis team, it's amazing that Waianae beat them in the (inaugural) Prep Bowl that year, let alone shut them out. (I'm pretty sure the score was 6-0.) Could be St Louis was more loaded on D (hence, holding Waianae to only 6 points), than they were on O (hence they were shut out).
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Mon May 01, 2023 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BowTow

Post by BowTow »

Waianae football with Larry Ginoza always a tough physical matchup. Waianae may have had an occasional big guy like Tom Tuinei but overall they weren't particularly a big team. Some from the 70's that went played at University of Hawaii were Tui Ala (RB), Mike Vierra (RB)
Manny Desoto (LB), Wadsley Abihai (LB), and Tuinei. I'm sure there are more but this just what I remember at this moment.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

BowTow wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:59 pm Waianae football with Larry Ginoza always a tough physical matchup. Waianae may have had an occasional big guy like Tom Tuinei but overall they weren't particularly a big team. Some from the 70's that went played at University of Hawaii were Tui Ala (RB), Mike Vierra (RB)
Manny Desoto (LB), Wadsley Abihai (LB), and Tuinei. I'm sure there are more but this just what I remember at this moment.
@BowTow:

OK, are you sure Waianae wasn't big, particularly on the O-line? I don't know about their '73 team, but as I recall, their teams in the late-'70s were huge, especially the O-line. And, in '80, their RB, Tilton Kekua, was pretty big, too.