HS Football Fanatic

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: HS Football Fanatic

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:00 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:15 pm @ChadFukuoka:

True, that. Back in the '70s, Damien and St Louis were the only all-boys Catholic schools on Oahu; You could call it the "all boys Catholic school rivalry." I'm convinced that that's why they were such fierce rivals from then until the 2000s, when classification often prevented them from playing each other. Yes, St Louis is now the only all-boys school, as Damien starting accepting girls about six years ago or so. As I was in high school in the mid-'70s, it's kind of weird today to see girls wearing Damien unis on OC16, playing volleyball, basketball and softball.
Damien being a coed school has an effect on the girls sports at other schools as well. Girls that might have played their sport and attended their district public school, or even another private school, are now going to Damien, instead of somewhere else. So it has a trickle down effect.
@ChadFukuoka:

That's true, but it would have had even more of an effect back in the mid-'70s. Back then, there was another all-girls' Catholic School, St Francis (well, they started admitting boys sometime around 2015, I think). They closed what, four or five years ago? Back in the mid-'70s, Damien got most of its cheerleaders from St Francis, while St Louis got most of its cheerleaders from Sacred Hearts. Today, Sacred Hearts is the only all-girls Catholic school on Oahu, so Damien today is probably pulling girls from Sacred Hearts.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hello all:

In high school softball today, I think two alumni groups must have blown a fuse: Punahou alumni, and Maryknoll alumni.

First, the Punahou game. Iolani beat Punahou, 9-8. I'd imagine Punahou alumni blew a fuse for the following reasons:
1. The loss was so close, and it was a high-scoring game. It's one thing to lose, 1-0, for example. But to lose in a 9-8 shootout, is harder to take.
2. The loss came against Iolani School, Punahou School's most bitter rival.

Now, the Maryknoll game. This game must have given Maryknoll alumni fits. Maryknoll lost to Kamehameha, 19-18. That's right; 19-18. Talk about a shootout. And again, it's one thing to lose a game, 1-0. But to lose in a 19-18 shootout, is much harder to take. That is simply painful. There are yet more reasons Maryknoll alumni must have blown a fuse:
1. Maryknoll jumped-out to a 4-0 lead in the 1st inning. Maryknoll alumni were probably thinking, "Right on! Looks good!"
2. Maryknoll was up, 18-15, in the 6th inning. Maryknoll alumni must have been thinking, "This looks good! The Spartans are up by 3, and it's very late in the game."
3. Then, in the bottom 6th, Kamehameha scores 4 runs to take a 19-18 lead heading into the last inning, and that would be the final score.
4. Kamehameha batter Nevaeh Telles hit four dingers in the game; four. How often does that happen? I wonder if it's some kind of record in high school softball? If she had hit only one fewer, the game may have gone to extra innings, and who knows? Perhaps the Spartans might have won. Maryknoll alumni must be ticked about that.
5. Finally, the Spartans committed 7 errors, as opposed to Kamehameha's 2. When you lose a game by 1, and you commit five more errors than the other school, it's almost guaranteed that that cost you the game.

So, Punahou alumni and Maryknoll alumni have a lot to be ticked-off about today, especially Maryknoll alumni. I mean, for them, that loss must have absolutely sucked. I mean, that's brutal.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hello again, all.

Here to talk high school baseball, this time. Today, Kamehameha alumni and Mid-Pac alumni have something to be ticked about.
First off, Kamehameha lost to Iolani, 8-5. Here's what makes no sense about that: 1.) Kamehameha outhit Iolani 12-6. I mean, Kamehameha had twice as many hits as Iolani. 2.) Kamehameha committed only one more error than Iolani did, so it's not like the D lost the game. 3.) Neither school hit a dinger.
So, Kamehameha alumni might be wondering, how the hell did the Warriors lose? Also, keep in mind that Iolani lost to Mid-Pac 18-1 earlier this month. Today, Kamehameha alumni might be thinking that the baseball gods suck. Like former UH coach Les once said: Baseball is a crazy game.
Also today, St Louis mercy-ruled Mid-Pac, 13-3. I mean, Mid-Pac almost never gets mercy-ruled, yet it happened today. This is what Mid-Pac alumni are surely ticked about. I mean, Mid-Pac Institute almost never sucks in baseball. It's bad enough to lose, but to get mercy-ruled?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hello again!

Tonight, it's occurred to me that Kailua alumni have a lot to be ticked about. Specifically, it was a horrible, no-good day in diamond sports for Kailua High. Their softball team and their baseball team got murdered. Their baseball team got murdered by Kaiser, 12-0. Meanwhile, their softball team got murdered by Mililani, 22-0. 22-0. That sucks. I mean, what can you say? Look at those two games. Kailua alumni must be numb.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Kamehameha alumni have a reason to be ticked about yesterday's softball game between Kamehameha and Iolani. Kamehameha was up, 11-9, when Iolani came-up to bat in the bottom of the final inning. Iolani jammed the sacks. An Iolani batter hit a liner to right, which allowed the runner on third to score. Kamehameha's RF threw the relay to the first-baseman, who threw home to prevent the trailing runners from scoring, but she threw off-line, and the ball bounced through a walkway-opening in the backstop. What was the Kamehameha catcher supposed to do? Chase-down the ball after it bounced through a WALKWAY in the BACKSTOP fence? Then SHE would be leaving the field of play! The home-plate ump ruled the ball dead once it bounced through the walkway, but the 3rd-base ump said, "Well, the ball left the field of play; that's a homerun." That's ridiculous. Yes, it's a homerun if it leaves the field of play OFF the hitter's bat, and it's NOT a foul ball. We're talking about leaving the field of play, as a FAIR BALL, over or through an OUTFIELD fence. How the hell do you call it a homerun when the ball bounces through a BACKSTOP fence behind home plate, AFTER a FIELDER threw it in? Instead, since the hit was ruled a "homerun"(?!), Iolani's trailing two runners were allowed to score, allowing Iolani to win, 12-11. What a ripoff. I mean, that is crazy. That is bad. Luckily for Kamehameha, that didn't end their season; it meant that Kamehameha and Iolani are tied with one loss each in the ILH double-elimination tourney. The two schools will play on Saturday for the tourney title.

The way that game ended, must have left a very bad taste in Kamehameha alumni's mouths. Really. That was an absolute ripoff. It stinks. It sucks. It blows.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:01 pm Kamehameha alumni have a reason to be ticked about yesterday's softball game between Kamehameha and Iolani. Kamehameha was up, 11-9, when Iolani came-up to bat in the bottom of the final inning. Iolani jammed the sacks. An Iolani batter hit a liner to right, which allowed the runner on third to score. Kamehameha's RF threw the relay to the first-baseman, who threw home to prevent the trailing runners from scoring, but she threw off-line, and the ball bounced through a walkway-opening in the backstop. What was the Kamehameha catcher supposed to do? Chase-down the ball after it bounced through a WALKWAY in the BACKSTOP fence? Then SHE would be leaving the field of play! The home-plate ump ruled the ball dead once it bounced through the walkway, but the 3rd-base ump said, "Well, the ball left the field of play; that's a homerun." That's ridiculous. Yes, it's a homerun if it leaves the field of play OFF the hitter's bat, and it's NOT a foul ball. We're talking about leaving the field of play, as a FAIR BALL, over or through an OUTFIELD fence. How the hell do you call it a homerun when the ball bounces through a BACKSTOP fence behind home plate, AFTER a FIELDER threw it in? Instead, since the hit was ruled a "homerun"(?!), Iolani's trailing two runners were allowed to score, allowing Iolani to win, 12-11. What a ripoff. I mean, that is crazy. That is bad. Luckily for Kamehameha, that didn't end their season; it meant that Kamehameha and Iolani are tied with one loss each in the ILH double-elimination tourney. The two schools will play on Saturday for the tourney title.

The way that game ended, must have left a very bad taste in Kamehameha alumni's mouths. Really. That was an absolute ripoff. It stinks. It sucks. It blows.
I'm not sure about high school softball in Hawaii, but in the major leagues, when a ball is thrown into the stands or off the field, usually a certain number of bases are awarded to the runners. So maybe that's what happened in the game you're referring to, not a home run, but runners advancing enough bases to score.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:41 pm
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:01 pm Kamehameha alumni have a reason to be ticked about yesterday's softball game between Kamehameha and Iolani. Kamehameha was up, 11-9, when Iolani came-up to bat in the bottom of the final inning. Iolani jammed the sacks. An Iolani batter hit a liner to right, which allowed the runner on third to score. Kamehameha's RF threw the relay to the first-baseman, who threw home to prevent the trailing runners from scoring, but she threw off-line, and the ball bounced through a walkway-opening in the backstop. What was the Kamehameha catcher supposed to do? Chase-down the ball after it bounced through a WALKWAY in the BACKSTOP fence? Then SHE would be leaving the field of play! The home-plate ump ruled the ball dead once it bounced through the walkway, but the 3rd-base ump said, "Well, the ball left the field of play; that's a homerun." That's ridiculous. Yes, it's a homerun if it leaves the field of play OFF the hitter's bat, and it's NOT a foul ball. We're talking about leaving the field of play, as a FAIR BALL, over or through an OUTFIELD fence. How the hell do you call it a homerun when the ball bounces through a BACKSTOP fence behind home plate, AFTER a FIELDER threw it in? Instead, since the hit was ruled a "homerun"(?!), Iolani's trailing two runners were allowed to score, allowing Iolani to win, 12-11. What a ripoff. I mean, that is crazy. That is bad. Luckily for Kamehameha, that didn't end their season; it meant that Kamehameha and Iolani are tied with one loss each in the ILH double-elimination tourney. The two schools will play on Saturday for the tourney title.

I'm not sure about high school softball in Hawaii, but in the major leagues, when a ball is thrown into the stands or off the field, usually a certain number of bases are awarded to the runners. So maybe that's what happened in the game you're referring to, not a home run, but runners advancing enough bases to score.
@ChadFukuoka:

Yeah, come to think of it, that might have actually been the call. Had it been called a home run, the score would have been 13-11. However, I still think the homeplate ump made the right call when he called the ball dead once it rolled or bounced through the gateway. I mean, what's a fielder going to do if the ball goes through a gateway? The backstop fence is supposed to stop balls that get around or over the catcher.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ChadFukuoka:

Incidentally, right now your alma mater (Aiea) is playing Nanakuli for the OIA D2 softball title. Neither school has scored yet.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

It's now the 4th inning, and Aiea is up 5-4.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Nanakuli won, 9-5.

BowTow
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by BowTow »

Anyone seen the home run ruled a double in recent softball game. I think it Waianae vs Mililani at the McKinley High School field. The Waianae girl hit a ball clearly over the right field fence, confirmed on Spectrum replay.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

BowTow wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:47 pm Anyone seen the home run ruled a double in recent softball game. I think it Waianae vs Mililani at the McKinley High School field. The Waianae girl hit a ball clearly over the right field fence, confirmed on Spectrum replay.
@BowTow:

Yes! I was watching that game on Spectrum, too! It was clearly a homer. By the way, Waianae has a pitcher, Jerzie Liana. When that girl is on, she is almost untouchable. There was another Waianae game on Spectrum, against Kaiser, and Liana was pitching. Waianae won, 6-0, and no wonder the Cougars were shut-out. Liana was a strikeout machine, I'm telling you. Seemed almost every pitch she threw, was a strike. Impeccable control. She's a senior, and I think the other OIA D1 schools are glad she's graduating. Waianae made D1 States this year, and I pity any school playing them when Liana is pitching, and she's "on." She's the best high-school softball pitcher I've seen on Spectrum this year, OIA or ILH. When she has her best stuff, look out.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:16 pm
BowTow wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:47 pm Anyone seen the home run ruled a double in recent softball game. I think it Waianae vs Mililani at the McKinley High School field. The Waianae girl hit a ball clearly over the right field fence, confirmed on Spectrum replay.
@BowTow:

Yes! I was watching that game on Spectrum, too! It was clearly a homer. By the way, Waianae has a pitcher, Jerzie Liana; she wears jersey #12. When that girl is on, she is almost untouchable. There was another Waianae game on Spectrum, against Kaiser, and Liana was pitching. Waianae won, 6-0, and no wonder the Cougars were shut-out. Liana was a strikeout machine, I'm telling you. Seemed almost every pitch she threw, was a strike. Impeccable control. She's a senior, and I think the other OIA D1 schools are glad she's graduating. Waianae made D1 States this year, and I pity any school playing them when Liana is pitching, and she's "on." She's the best high-school softball pitcher I've seen on Spectrum this year, OIA or ILH. When she has her best stuff, look out.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Hello, all.

St Louis alumni have very good reason to be ticked. Last night, the baseball team lost to Mililani in the D1 State Tourney, 2-1. This loss sucked on many levels:

1. It always sucks to lose a game, especially by one run.
2. This loss occurred during the State Tourney, where one loss means you will not win the State championship.
3. This was the first day of the tourney. scoringlive had St Louis ranked #2 in the state. Yet, they lost on the opening day of the
tourney.
4. St Louis was up 1-0 heading into the final inning.
5. St Louis got two outs on Mililani, when Mililani scored two runs to move ahead, 2-1.
6. Since St Louis was the home team, they had an opportunity to respond in the bottom of the frame. They were not able to pick-up any runs.
7. The winning hit was made by a Mililani player who had transferred from St Louis just a few months ago. Therefore, he got the winning hit against his former teammates.
8. Both schools had gone with their aces: Villacorte for the Saints, and Hirayama for the Trojans. The Saints had their best gun out there, but it wasn't enough. Well, another pitcher had gone-in for the Saints in the seventh, which may have been a mistake. But, of course I'm talking with the benefit of hindsight. The Saints' pitching coach--might have been HC Gusman himself--must have had a reason for making the pitching change.

That's baseball. As former UH HC Les once said: "Baseball is a crazy game."

Now, I'm not posting this out of schadenfreude. No, I don't exactly care for St Louis School, but I don't exactly love Mililani High, either.