New Aloha Stadium & TC Ching Expansion

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Re: New Stadium

Post by kapakahi »

https://www.pbshawaii.org/insights-on-p ... a-stadium/ https://twitter.com/pbshawaii/status/1649157975158980609
INSIGHTS ON PBS HAWAIʻI

What’s Up with Aloha Stadium?

Aloha Stadium has been closed for more than two years. Fans said a final goodbye in February. The initial plan to replace the stadium included an entertainment district with hotel rooms, retail outlets, housing units and more. Then that plan was put on hold, and then it came back with a different twist and then things kind of stopped. So we’re asking, What’s Up With Aloha Stadium?
Video Replay:
https://livestream.com/accounts/895206/ ... autoplay=1

st808
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by st808 »

it's been long enough for the stadium authority to deliver the scoreboard to Manoa. it seems as if their disdain for anything to do with the u.h. football team has made them against providing the scoreboard to Manoa.

when the halawa stadium is completed in 2045, I hope the u.h. will be firmly entrenched in a 30K stadium at Ching.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

st808 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:35 pm it's been long enough for the stadium authority to deliver the scoreboard to Manoa. it seems as if their disdain for anything to do with the u.h. football team has made them against providing the scoreboard to Manoa.
As has been consistently explained to me by UH Lower Campus insiders, it is UH (not the Aloha Stadium Authority) who is coordinating with the video scoreboard manufacturer representative along with their architectural/engineering consultant team to arrange (i.e., contract services & schedule) for the disassembly & removal of the entire existing video scoreboard assembly (which consists of multiple individual smaller video screens) from the Aloha Stadium and it's transport to Ching Field for re-assembly & installation (including new structural framing & mounting supports) along with associated cabling & re-programming integration with the Ching Field public address sound system.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

kapakahi wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:00 am
st808 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:35 pm it's been long enough for the stadium authority to deliver the scoreboard to Manoa. it seems as if their disdain for anything to do with the u.h. football team has made them against providing the scoreboard to Manoa.
As has been consistently explained to me by UH Lower Campus insiders, it is UH (not the Aloha Stadium Authority) who is coordinating with the video scoreboard manufacturer representative along with their architectural/engineering consultant team to arrange (i.e., contract services & schedule) for the disassembly & removal of the entire existing video scoreboard assembly (which consists of multiple individual smaller video screens) from the Aloha Stadium and it's transport to Ching Field for re-assembly & installation (including new structural framing & mounting supports) along with associated cabling & re-programming integration with the Ching Field public address sound system.
Thanks for this kapakahi! Makes sense, and glad to hear that it is not the stadium authority people working on this.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: kalua pig
NBA: kalua pig
NFL: kalua pig

Post by anykine »

:mopedsmile: :mopedsmile: :mopedsmile: 2028 :mopedsmile: :mopedsmile: :mopedsmile:

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I hope it being ready by 2029 ain’t wishful thinking.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by anykine »

this is an embarrassment for the state of hawai’i.the blatant incompetence in the handling of tax dollars is a joke.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Unfortunately, UH will be left out of any Conference realignment and because of the transfer portal, NIL and our geography UH football will be gone in 5 years. Sad but that is the reality.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I agree with that but would say "no."

UH was allowed to join the WAC when other schools left for the PAC 8 (or was it 6 back then). BYU left for the MWC, UH got left behind. UH is now MWC, as other schools moved on. UH will be left behind again.

No, because everyone wants a good vacation. Like a business conference, do you want to go to Fresno? Or Honolulu, Hawaii? Everyone wants that "free" trip. Some players never left the mainland. One could say what about the Pro Bowl? NFL players can afford the vacation, any vacation with their millions. No need to risk getting hurt on the field.

That just reminded me, what about (college) Bowl games? Chances are zero without a real stadium, right? I always think a "semi-major" (college) Bowl game should be in Hawaii.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Has any work started on Ching Field? From what I’ve seen nothing has been done.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by kapakahi »

EITSwarrior wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:38 pm Has any work started on Ching Field? From what I’ve seen nothing has been done.
Only the Ewa end zone bleachers had been removed as of UH's last MVB home game over a week ago.

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by anykine »

the original new aloha stadium opening date was advertised to be on this years home
season opener against stanford.about 130 days away.i have not seen one shovel hit the ground yet.

Shogunate
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Shogunate »

anykine wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:42 pm the original new aloha stadium opening date was advertised to be on this years home
season opener against stanford.about 130 days away.i have not seen one shovel hit the ground yet.
Don't hold your breath. With UH looking for a new AD, I doubt any work is going to be done this year.

anykine
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by anykine »

Shogunate wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:55 pm
anykine wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:42 pm the original new aloha stadium opening date was advertised to be on this years home
Don't hold your breath. With UH looking for a new AD, I doubt any work is going to be done this year.
sounds like the same old story.nothing gets done.