2022-2023 Wrestling Season

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
justafan
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: 2022-2023 Wrestling Season

Post by justafan »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:50 pm
talloola25 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:04 am @BoaredAtWork - I'm sure he appreciates the ability for his wrestlers to come through and not fall short more than any spotlight he would have received. Also, I think he would have given that up as well if he was able to have been at the tournament to support his son(who seemed not himself).

It was great to see that team be able to hold it together and come from 6th place a year ago to the top of the state with only 2 returning state placers. That tells me that a lot of teams are in the hunt this upcoming year. Kamehameha had 7 and Moanalua had 5. This next year will be super interesting I think.

@FoxMulder - 100% right about the 21/22 season being weird. Probably the most underclassmen placers ever(def not fact checking that lol) and all of the Juniors that season were basically underclassmen as well so the playing field was pretty level.

I don't think we will see Taam and Labuanan in the same weight until their senior year at best. I also don't think we'll see Berger in the same weight as another top tier guy next season(to keep his 4x hopes alive). I think Goeas will grow out of 152 and Porter might do the same from 145. I think Erolin will still be at 152 and probably Mercado as well.
Way too early predictions:
Kamehameha - 1st between 150-170pts (7-8 placers)
Mililani - 2nd between 130-150pts (6-7 placers)
St.Louis - 3rd - 120-140pts (6-8 placers)
Moanalua - 4th between 110-130pts (5-7 placers)
Kapolei - 5th between between 90-110pts (5-7 placers)

BTW I think bedrock got the top 3 in P4P right, but probably would have had Berger at 4 due to him having given Kusumoto his only loss in the last 2 seasons along with his dominance and undefeated record. I have other changes, but was curious what you guys think.
@talloola25:

(Coming out of "retirement" again.)
I'm not really a wrestling expert at all, but when you picked Kamehameha 1st for next year, I had my doubts. They were supposed to win States THIS year, and look what happened. Again, without being a wrestling expert, and just going with my gut, I would predict:

1. Mililani (No offense to St Louis alumni, but I would really rather see Mililani take it; I prefer Mililani High to St Louis School.)
2. St Louis
3. Kamehameha
4. Moanalua
5. Kapolei
Spring break is over so back to more speculation. Mililani mostly maxed out their points with their returnees. Guevara, Corpuz, Shigemoto, and Lee probably wont collectively score more. Need to find others to get to 160+. Kam has upside to score more even with losing their seniors

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

justafan wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:45 pm
talloola25 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:04 am @BoaredAtWork - I'm sure he appreciates the ability for his wrestlers to come through and not fall short more than any spotlight he would have received. Also, I think he would have given that up as well if he was able to have been at the tournament to support his son(who seemed not himself).

It was great to see that team be able to hold it together and come from 6th place a year ago to the top of the state with only 2 returning state placers. That tells me that a lot of teams are in the hunt this upcoming year. Kamehameha had 7 and Moanalua had 5. This next year will be super interesting I think.

@FoxMulder - 100% right about the 21/22 season being weird. Probably the most underclassmen placers ever(def not fact checking that lol) and all of the Juniors that season were basically underclassmen as well so the playing field was pretty level.

I don't think we will see Taam and Labuanan in the same weight until their senior year at best. I also don't think we'll see Berger in the same weight as another top tier guy next season(to keep his 4x hopes alive). I think Goeas will grow out of 152 and Porter might do the same from 145. I think Erolin will still be at 152 and probably Mercado as well.

BTW I think bedrock got the top 3 in P4P right, but probably would have had Berger at 4 due to him having given Kusumoto his only loss in the last 2 seasons along with his dominance and undefeated record. I have other changes, but was curious what you guys think.
@talloola25:

I'm not really a wrestling expert at all, but when you picked Kamehameha 1st for next year, I had my doubts. They were supposed to win States THIS year, and look what happened. Again, without being a wrestling expert, and just going with my gut, I would predict:

1. Mililani (No offense to St Louis alumni, but I would really rather see Mililani take it; I prefer Mililani High to St Louis School.)
2. St Louis
3. Kamehameha
4. Moanalua
5. Kapolei
Spring break is over so back to more speculation. Mililani mostly maxed out their points with their returnees. Guevara, Corpuz, Shigemoto, and Lee probably wont collectively score more. Need to find others to get to 160+. Kam has upside to score more even with losing their seniors
@justafan: That's a shock, that Kamehameha has upside. After two years of disappointment, I don't trust them anymore.

FlyingSquirrel808
High-quality H20 provider

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

@talloola25:

2. St Louis
3. Kamehameha
4. Moanalua
5. Kapolei
If Guevara moves up to 113 and their JV 106 comes up to varsity 106 next year, that might add a few points. Their 182 Jackson could move up the ranks since the Kapolei kid graduates and Baekland (Moanalua) is more than likely moving away. Their 138 Hackbarth and their heavyweight could probably score more points next year, but I'm not sure who else they add to the lineup.

808WrestlingFan

Post by 808WrestlingFan »

FlyingSquirrel808 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:08 pm

@talloola25:

2. St Louis
3. Kamehameha
4. Moanalua
5. Kapolei
If Guevara moves up to 113 and their JV 106 comes up to varsity 106 next year, that might add a few points. Their 182 Jackson could move up the ranks since the Kapolei kid graduates and Baekland (Moanalua) is more than likely moving away. Their 138 Hackbarth and their heavyweight could probably score more points next year, but I'm not sure who else they add to the lineup.
What ever happened to Barbor? He looked like a solid 120 placing at officials but never saw him after that. If he is back he’ll add some points as well. And I agree Nakamura, if he stays 106 will be in the mix next season for sure. Had a lot of tough jv 106’s this season.

808WrestlingFan

808WrestlingFan wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:39 pm

What ever happened to Barbor? He looked like a solid 120 placing at officials but never saw him after that. If he is back he’ll add some points as well. And I agree Nakamura, if he stays 106 will be in the mix next season for sure. Mililani has a lot of upside. Especially if those returning state placer score more bonus points being a year older and better. If nobody is there to stop Lee he will likely score a ton of bonus points. Stl and ksk still the favorites for team title tho in my opinion.

808WrestlingFan

@talloola25:

2. St Louis
3. Kamehameha
4. Moanalua
5. Kapolei
What ever happened to Barbor? He looked like a solid 120 placing at officials but never saw him after that. If he is back he’ll add some points as well. And I agree Nakamura, if he stays 106 will be in the mix next season for sure. Mililani has a lot of upside. Especially if those returning state placer score more bonus points being a year older and better. If nobody is there to stop Lee he will likely score a ton of bonus points. Stl and ksk still the favorites for team title tho in my opinion.

FlyingSquirrel808

Post by FlyingSquirrel808 »

808WrestlingFan wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:07 pm

I would assume he simply couldn't beat Corpuz (120), Shigemoto (126), or Kimura (132) for a spot in the lineup.

808WrestlingFan

FlyingSquirrel808 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:58 am
808WrestlingFan wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:07 pm

I would assume he simply couldn't beat Corpuz (120), Shigemoto (126), or Kimura (132) for a spot in the lineup.
Makes total sense. He looked dangerous at officials though. Almost pinned Marinas. Thought it was a fluke but he still ended up placing in a pretty tough weight.

hiwrestlefan808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by hiwrestlefan808 »

Makes total sense. He looked dangerous at officials though. Almost pinned Marinas. Thought it was a fluke but he still ended up placing in a pretty tough weight.
[/quote]

Had corpuz not missed weight, I wouldn’t have seen him placing.