Conference realignment and what it means to the MWC & UH

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Another realignment?

Post by gopunahou »

wyokie wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:42 pm My prediction as to what will happen....

Big Ten: gets Oregon, Washington, Stanford and either California OR Notre Dame (could end up getting both somehow)
Big XII: gets Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah.
MWC: gets Washington State and Oregon State.

Here's a bone for the basketball lovers....I do think that after the MW gets the leftovers from the PAC-12, Gonzaga will join for all sports except football since they don't have that sport. That move would make Hawaii happy since football independence is a suicide mission unless you're a military school like Army.
Interesting about Colorado going back the Big XII and Utah joining BYU in a conference again.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Hawaii will end up in the ASUN-WAC.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Colorado Rockies
NBA: Denver Nuggets
NFL: Buffalo Bills

Post by wyokie »

BigWave96744 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:11 am Hawaii will end up in the ASUN-WAC.
Honestly, if the MW sticks around and I think it will PROVIDED it ends up with Oregon State and Wazzu, Hawaii football will stay.

battistadonati
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: UCLA & USC BIG10 bound in 2024

Post by battistadonati »

ubercow wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:43 am with so much money in college football, I guess regionality no longer needs to be a thing
It's not about the money, if you ask me. It's about historical confrontation. It's not just a merger of two leagues, but the destruction of a certain competitive part within them.
Last edited by battistadonati on Fri May 26, 2023 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

battistadonati
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by battistadonati »

wyokie wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:21 am
BigWave96744 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:07 am
wyokie wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:10 pm

Honestly, I think the PAC-XX will be dead within a few months with the actual death be in 2024 or 2025. The Big Ten and Big XII will gut it. And the MW will get the two leftovers. Hope Hawaii fans like going to Pullman and Corvallis.
Bottom dwellers in the MWC will end up in the ASUN-WAC
I doubt the ASUN-WAC football conference merger will actually happen.
Why? It's almost as if that's what it's all about...

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

battistadonati wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:05 am
wyokie wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:21 am
BigWave96744 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:07 am
Bottom dwellers in the MWC will end up in the ASUN-WAC
I doubt the ASUN-WAC football conference merger will actually happen.
Why? It's almost as if that's what it's all about...
Welp, my "prediction" went down in flames. LOL

BigWave96744

Re: Conference realignment and what it means to the MWC & UH

Post by BigWave96744 »

College football expansion: Big 12 set to add two teams, per report
James Parks - Yesterday 3:25 AM

With speculation that college football expansion and conference realignment is set to pick up again soon, it appears that the Big 12 will be the conference that makes the next move, with insiders now pinpointing two teams on the league's horizon.

Colorado and Arizona are the schools planning to leave the Pac-12 and join the Big 12 Conference

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

As Realignment Talks Heat Up, San Diego State Ready For Its Closeup

Riding a recent men’s Final Four appearance and a new football stadium open, the Aztecs have put themselves in prime position for the Power 5.
https://www.si.com/college/2023/06/02/s ... ent-rumors

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

BigWave96744 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:46 am
College football expansion: Big 12 set to add two teams, per report
James Parks - Yesterday 3:25 AM

With speculation that college football expansion and conference realignment is set to pick up again soon, it appears that the Big 12 will be the conference that makes the next move, with insiders now pinpointing two teams on the league's horizon.

Colorado and Arizona are the schools planning to leave the Pac-12 and join the Big 12 Conference
As spoon as the new PAC-12 tv deal happens, all hell breaks loose and bye bye PAC-12. See ya on Conference Boothill with the Southwest Conference and other dead conferences.

I do think Utah and Arizona State will head to the Big 12 as well.

I have no idea what Cal and Stanford will do. Either Independence or beg the Big Ten to let them in after Oregon and Washington hi-tails it for the Big Ten.

wyokie
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by wyokie »

BigWave96744 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:48 am
As Realignment Talks Heat Up, San Diego State Ready For Its Closeup

Riding a recent men’s Final Four appearance and a new football stadium open, the Aztecs have put themselves in prime position for the Power 5.
https://www.si.com/college/2023/06/02/s ... ent-rumors
If I'm right, SDSU aint going anywhere.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I wish teams don't have the freedom to change all the time. Yes, I know it's all about $$$, TV rights, etc.

Many PAC teams used to be WAC. Alot of them left, UH joined the WAC. It would have been nice to compete with them.

Ok, many WAC teams left for MWC, such as BYU. BYU won so many WAC championships, no? Don't recall, but it meant something back then.

UH joined the MWC, BYU left. (IMO, UH beating BYU was historical during the Wagner years. Honolulu Advertiser front page the next day. Beating BYU today means just a win.)

Call it what you want, but IMO, the entire west coast (and Hawaii) should be in one conference. Call it WAC, MWC, or PAC 25 or something. I like the NFL (and NBA) structure. Lot more organized, clear, and consistent year to year. You can still have historical rivalries and also form new rivalries.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Money talks nowadays. In-conference rivalries no longer mean much. Travel across multiple time zones becomes de rigueur. Sounds like the PAC may be no longer, or very watered down to G5 level. Oregon State, Washington State, Cal and Stanford athletic departments must be sweating bullets.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Colorado going back to the Big12 makes sense for them.
I read that the Big12 will have teams in 4 timezones, they going have games all day

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

We used to hear mainland kids watching Hawaii football at 1am on the East Coast. Maybe UH should join the SEC. And one day, when they grow up, play for UH. That's the only sports to watch at that time.

On the West Coast, mainland kids are not going to watch UH, unless their team is playing against.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

The new MWC?

Post by bigislandkurt »

As the college football world turns, there is a new batch of conference realignment possibilities that could have big impacts on UH football moving forward. In short, the Pac 12 is falling apart. Colorado, Utah, UA and ASU all considering move to Big 12. UW and UO being courted by Big 10 to join USC and UCLA. Stanford is considering going independent. Don't think that will happen though considering all the TV money tied into conferences. All the other pac12 schools are being rumored to possibly join up with the MWC to form a new merged conference. Could UH be left out of the dance once again? I'm pretty sure the answer is no. UH football is worth too much to the national college football betting scene with we having the last game of the college football Saturday. And if so, do we still stay as a football only member?
Friendship is Essential to the Soul