Dave Matlin retiring

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Dave Matlin retiring

Post by SundayJam »

WarriorTyme wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:10 am Matlin will be remembered for is hiring [of] Todd Graham and throwing a Hawaii Legendary coach under the bus.
Todd Graham represented so many college programs well. He bested a quality opponent for Hawaii in the Whatever bowl during the pandemic. The team could not support another win in his final year coaching. He is/was a winning coach. Name one other college that wants to hire June Jones.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

SundayJam wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:25 am
WarriorTyme wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:10 am Matlin will be remembered for is hiring [of] Todd Graham and throwing a Hawaii Legendary coach under the bus.
Todd Graham represented so many college programs well. He bested a quality opponent for Hawaii in the Whatever bowl during the pandemic. The team could not support another win in his final year coaching. He is/was a winning coach. Name one other college that wants to hire June Jones.
Todd Graham was a talented and veteran Head Coach, that just wasn't a good fit for Hawaii Football. Nobody can dispute the on the field wins, but the Hawaii locker room had another dispute about him that was not as glowing.

Did you ever consider that June Jones is nearing the end of his head coaching days and loves Hawaii only wanted to bring Hawaii Football back to life as his swan song goodbye to college head coaching? Part of your statement implies you have first-hand knowledge that June Jones has applied and turndown by other programs. Which I seriously doubt? Only June Jones and his agent knows what and who has been in contact with for head coaching jobs. None of us know if June turned down any offers from any programs High School/FCS/FBS/XFL/USFL/CFB/NFL or otherwise.

What we do know is June Jones is the GOAT of Hawaii Head Coach history, Period! And June Jones loves Hawaii and Matlin treated a Hawaii legend like opala. And that is why Matlin lost UH a ton of support from the fans, boosters, business owners and more importantly the $$$$ for June as HC. If Timmy stays as Hawaii Head Coach like he said for 20 years then by default of the experience over time, I believe Timmy can turn it around to a ranked maybe even playoff team by 2030. But that is something we have to see, because Timmy can leave for more $$$$ and credibility of a P5 school or he can asked to leave for various reasons.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:03 pm Just like TG, we only know half of the story. If he could only tell-all over beer and sushi. Not an easy job. Thanks Dave.
Like cabanalane says, we only know half of the story. Although I would go for pizza and a glass of Sangiovese instead to find out the whole truth. :lol: \:D/
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

SundayJam wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:01 am
cabanalane wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:27 am
SundayJam wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:59 am
The stadium was a mistake from the very beginning...much like Blaisdell Arena. Well, maybe more-so. Designed to rust...wtf?!!!
Going OT. Just wondering how the Blaisdell Arena can be looped in with Aloha Stadium as "a mistake from the very beginning."

I thought the Blaisdell was great. The arena, concert hall, exhibition area, for decades. What is or was the issue? Other than being old today.
I guess Blaisdell was an attempt to do all...jack of all trades, master of none. I understand that renovation plans are underway. I'll admit, I only experienced the arena a few times.
Going OT, and against popular opinion and fact. I never like the Arena on campus. There used to be a park lot there, and when you work out at the weight room and come out for fresh air. I will still say that the arena sort of have a suffocating effect on the buildings around it. It was "forced" into a small space. I suppose you can accuse me of being a fan of Klum gym too. Love that "no AC feeling." Ok, not really. Yes, I still live in the past.

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

WarriorTyme wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:45 am I don't think Matlin got a lot of hate for the day-to-day job he did for UH Athletics, he didn't want to hire June Jones but he reluctantly made a half okole effort to offer JJ that wasn't going to be accepted by anybody in history of coaching. The Matlin immediately told the press that June Jones declined the offer, so he can save face and move on to the hire he really wanted. June was surprised that Matlin did something so Pilau during the offer and to immediately tell the press was extra Pilau. That disingenuous action and handling of a Hawaii Football legendary coach was why he got criticism from fans, boosters, business owners and the media. This was a self-inflected would by Matlin and he knew that he lost a lot of credibility and lost a majority of fans, boosters, business owners and the media support for this disingenuous action.

Matlin is wise to retire and let someone else take over the painful day to day operations and hopefully they can get the fans, boosters, business owners and the media support back that Matlin lost.
I withdrew my support of UH athletics (monetarily) after what happened in January. As far JJ and being legendary, I think that he created a renewed interest in football embraced by a diverse group of older fans, middle aged women, families, kids as well as the expected fan. During his time, a lot of polynesian quarterbacks came through the ranks in Hawaii where they were only looked at as fierce linemen and linebackers before his tenure. I look at sports as a form of entertainment. It was not entertaining last year.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

I'll add WR too

I agree with you, but I would not give credit to JJ for showing that Polynesians can play other positions too. It just the sign of the times, as kids adopt to American culture. Just like Asians. Many Polynesians are immigrants too. There are also many immigrant Latinos also in sports. They don't stand out because the Spanish last names are already common in the U.S. I would think we would see more Middle Eastern or Indian kids in major sports soon.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

https://twitter.com/StephenTsai/status/1625961333752741888

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Remember, it is David Lassner himself who ultimately approves the MQ's and other desirables. It seems to me like that "three years collegiate administrative experience" is intentional and meant to keep certain folks from applying. This certainly eliminates Amamiya and Miano.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul