2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by TheNewNORM »

If Kaikai can repeat his 19 pts. performance from the 2021 Open championship against St.Louis, I think Kahuku is good to go. Seniors last game.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Too bad Aloha Stadium is unusable, because if it were, I think at least 20,000 fans would show up to watch tonight’s game.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Congratulations to Kahuku tonight. Waika might’ve been had a better game running the ball than the best QB in the class of 2024—Elijah Brown.

As you can tell, this hasn’t been my night. At least Iolani’s season ended last week, unlike championship night in 2014, when they, as well as the opponents of Punahou and Mater Dei, won all on that night.

Speaking of Iolani, I hate to ask us to take a page from them, but we’ll enter 2023 in the same matter they did in 2005, with a team smarting from a championship loss and returning a ton of key contributors. They played that season bent on preventing their season from ending without a state championship. It would behoove us not to enter 2023 with the same attitude.

And believe me, we’ve got the tools to win it all next year. Yes, other teams are returning valuable assets, but nearly everything on offense is coming back, as well as key players on defense such as Kekai, Alika, Donte, Agenhart, and Ko’o. I know we’ll miss the leadership of JK, Travis, and Giancarlo, but there’ll remain the talent to take home a state championship. If we could replace a player as valuable as Tevarua, we can do it again. I also feel much better about Ty McCutcheon taking over than I did when Stephen Barber did—Ty’ll enter a situation any replacement would dream of. The return of Astin, Ala’i, Iosepa, Noah, and four starting offensive linemen will alleviate early-season pressure.

I take solace in the fact that my favorite teams, despite losing tonight, will return tons of key places. If they were losing a bunch of seniors, man would it hurt more, but they ain’t.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:00 pm Congratulations to Kahuku tonight. Waika might’ve been had a better game running the ball than the best QB in the class of 2024—Elijah Brown.

As you can tell, this hasn’t been my night. At least Iolani’s season ended last week, unlike championship night in 2014, when they, as well as the opponents of Punahou and Mater Dei, won all on that night.

Speaking of Iolani, I hate to ask us to take a page from them, but we’ll enter 2023 in the same matter they did in 2005, with a team smarting from a championship loss and returning a ton of key contributors. They played that season bent on preventing their season from ending without a state championship. It would behoove us not to enter 2023 with the same attitude.

And believe me, we’ve got the tools to win it all next year. Yes, other teams are returning valuable assets, but nearly everything on offense is coming back, as well as key players on defense such as Kekai, Alika, Donte, Agenhart, and Ko’o. I know we’ll miss the leadership of JK, Travis, and Giancarlo, but there’ll remain the talent to take home a state championship. If we could replace a player as valuable as Tevarua, we can do it again. I also feel much better about Ty McCutcheon taking over than I did when Stephen Barber did—Ty’ll enter a situation any replacement would dream of. The return of Astin, Ala’i, Iosepa, Noah, and four starting offensive linemen will alleviate early-season pressure.

I take solace in the fact that my favorite teams, despite losing tonight, will return tons of key places. If they were losing a bunch of seniors, man would it hurt more, but they ain’t.
I'm assuming you watched the Punahou-Kahuku game on PPV. How was Kahuku able to shut out Punahou? Great defensive line pressure, getting to the quarterback, stuffing the run? Although Kahuku was the favorite entering the game, I wasn't expecting a shutout.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:15 pm
gopunahou wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:00 pm Congratulations to Kahuku tonight. Waika might’ve been had a better game running the ball than the best QB in the class of 2024—Elijah Brown.

I'm assuming you watched the Punahou-Kahuku game on PPV. How was Kahuku able to shut out Punahou? Great defensive line pressure, getting to the quarterback, stuffing the run? Although Kahuku was the favorite entering the game, I wasn't expecting a shutout.
All of what you said. I don’t think they gave us many chances to run our bread-and-butter plays. We only threw the deep ball a couple of times and still couldn’t find any rhythm. I think that’s one of the reasons we didn’t use Alai too much tonight, since we’d fallen behind 17-0 before the half ended. Turnovers also killed us, being that we made it to the red zone a couple of times before turning it over. I said before that the team that makes the least mistakes would lose and that came to fruition. The defense played as well as it could and forced some key turnovers, but man did Waika gash us with his legs. In terms of running, he outperformed the #1 QB in the class of 2024 tonight.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

gopunahou wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:24 pm

All of what you said. I don’t think they gave us many chances to run our bread-and-butter plays. We only threw the deep ball a couple of times and still couldn’t find any rhythm. I think that’s one of the reasons we didn’t use Alai too much tonight, since we’d fallen behind 17-0 before the half ended. Turnovers also killed us, being that we made it to the red zone a couple of times before turning it over. I said before that the team that makes the least mistakes would lose and that came to fruition. The defense played as well as it could and forced some key turnovers, but man did Waika gash us with his legs. In terms of running, he outperformed the #1 QB in the class of 2024 tonight.
Congrats to Kahuku. It’s definitely early but I believe that both Punahou and Kahuku will be in the championship game next season too. Mililani might have a chance, they return a lot of their team also. And I bet they’ll get a few transfer portal kids lol. Both Campbell and mililani should get a few transfers but not sure if they’ll be able to match Kahuku. Punahou will definitely be kings of the ILH next season again. Stl and Kam won’t get close. Until next season 🤙

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

Congrats to Waimea! Their first ever state football title, and another title for the island of Kauai.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Konawaena beat Waipahu tonight. I underestimated Konawaena considering their only non-BIIF competition resulted in a loss (before the state tournament), as well as their tough-as-nails battle against Aiea along with Waipahu’s dominant win over Iolani. I thought the performances of both finalists last week gave Waipahu the advantage, so it was impressive that Konawaena could pull this off tonight.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Final rank,

1.Kahuku 12-2 Open champions.
2.Punahou 9-2
3.Campbell 7-3
4.Mililani 7-4
5.St.Louis 4-5
6.Konawaena 11-1 D-I champions.
7.Kapolei 6-5
8.Waipahu 11-2
9.Iolani 9-1
10.Aiea 9-4

Kudos to Waimea also for winning the D-II championship.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

unpaid wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:51 am Final rank,

2.Punahou 9-2
3.Campbell 7-3
4.Mililani 7-4
5.St.Louis 4-5
7.Kapolei 6-5
8.Waipahu 11-2
9.Iolani 9-1
10.Aiea 9-4

Kudos to Waimea also for winning the D-II championship.
You have Campbell above Mililani, even though Mililani beat them twice this season?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Dog 96707 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:49 am

Congrats to Kahuku. It’s definitely early but I believe that both Punahou and Kahuku will be in the championship game next season too. Mililani might have a chance, they return a lot of their team also. And I bet they’ll get a few transfer portal kids lol. Both Campbell and mililani should get a few transfers but not sure if they’ll be able to match Kahuku. Punahou will definitely be kings of the ILH next season again. Stl and Kam won’t get close. Until next season 🤙
I hope Punahou plays with the same kind of motivation that we did when we our last state championship. This upcoming team reminds me of that one. They can easily win it all if they play with the same motivation the 2013 team did.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:47 pm
I hope Punahou plays with the same kind of motivation that we did when we our last state championship. This upcoming team reminds me of that one. They can easily win it all if they play with the same motivation the 2013 team did.
I think this Kahuku team and next year's one is better then the Mililani teams that Punahou faced in 2013 and 2014. Kahuku seems to be more physical and has a better defense than those Mililani teams, although those Mililani teams probably had a better offense with McKenzie Milton, Vavae Malapeai, and Kalakaua Timoteo.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

unpaid wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:51 am Final rank,

2.Punahou 9-2
3.Campbell 7-3
4.Mililani 7-4
5.St.Louis 4-5
7.Kapolei 6-5
8.Waipahu 11-2
9.Iolani 9-1
10.Aiea 9-4

I also would swap out Campbell and Mililani because Mil beat them twice. And swap Aiea above Iolani. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for the 2022 Top Ten postings.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

2023 will come quick. Like the college portal, prep players do the same. In these times, parents can see that public school programs can expose their kids as much as private. Last years exodus from private schools proved that.
With that in mind, I hope Kahuku can find a replacement for the QB spot. Punahou will be stacked with experience and a Qb. Mililani and Campbell will also be experienced. Going to be a great year.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:16 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:47 pm

I think this Kahuku team and next year's one is better then the Mililani teams that Punahou faced in 2013 and 2014. Kahuku seems to be more physical and has a better defense than those Mililani teams, although those Mililani teams probably had a better offense with McKenzie Milton, Vavae Malapeai, and Kalakaua Timoteo.
One concern of Kahuku's is QB. Can't say that about this previous year, as Waika entered the kind of situation that Ty will enter next year.