How Is Chang Going To Get This Train Back On Track?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: How Is Chang Going To Get This Train Back On Track?

Post by cabanalane »

sarvicdar wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:08 pm
But when there is an absence of the HC Sunday Show, Monday QB Club, Call the Coach Show, post-game
On this point. No shame to admit I am still a Chow Fan. Norm Chow lost many games and showed up on press and PR events. Even when he said the same things "I played them for many many years. They are a really good football team..."

The fact that we don't see T-Chang out there makes me feel (could be wrong) that he is hiding, or the UH PR Team is "protecting" him. No one said the HC job was duck soup.

Being out there in the public, W or L, build support. If nothing else, that's what Norm Chow did. I'm a T-Chang fan because of his playing days. He needs to come out and tell us what happened at the last game and continue that "relationship" with the fans (boosters and supporters.)

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

TC knew the job was going to be difficult when he took it. How he, his staff and the athletic administration plan to go forward will be of paramount importance, not to mention retaining their best talent on the team from hitting the transfer portal. State of Hawaii not doing the program any good by wavering on the stadium issue. None of these players or upcoming recruits will ever see more than the TC Ching field, and this is not Timmy's fault, of which he has no control. I still have faith in TC. Give him the time to rebuild from Graham's ashes.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

This was the feeling if many a year ago.
Aside from not retaining coach Abe and TC taking over play calling, it's looking the same even with a more talented stable of receivers.

I really want TC to stick around and succeed but we don't have 2-3 years to develop a RNS offense.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

game planning and play calling is the problem. TC calls the plays. TC runs the team. The players are there offensively and defensively. Better plays offensively, better game planning and one switch at safety is needed.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

UH leadership now know that they can no longer do 2+ year then fired. Todd Graham brought in his guys (including BS13) and other the "Texas" guys. TG is out. Now, Chang brough in RNS guys. If UH fires Chang, all these efforts would have gone to waste.

But I think the situation is a bit different now. No stadium. Attendance is 8K. Take out the students, what's the "real" number? So what HC would UH get to replace Chang? No one. TG sounded like a lucky pick, a bargain. But there were hidden baggage, and UH failed to see, that everyone in college sports knew. When you take a break, that often mean no one wants to hire you. Then we got an inexperienced Timmy Chang. Great choice, a bit too early.

Best decision IMO is to stay with Timmy Chang. Program is swimming at the bottom. Results are at the bottom. Infrastructure is at the bottom. Interest in UH football is at the bottom.

Give him the extension + 3 more years. Yes, 7 years. Commit to Tim Chang early, so some school does not give him an offer to leave (to be their OC or QB, WR, TE coach.) New stadium should be ready by then, no?

If Chang is not the guy, I think the shining new stadium would attract more HC candidates. Easy to sell Hawaii (to live). Hard to sell playing at a high school field (no disrespect for TC Ching family and the $$$ they poured into UH.)
Last edited by cabanalane on Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:25 am, edited 4 times in total.

Irse
MLB: Cubs
NFL: Cowboys

Post by Irse »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:33 am New stadium should be ready by then, no?
I wouldn't bet on it.
ImageImage

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

Irse wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:07 am

I wouldn't bet on it.
Sad (but true.)

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

The one thing I know is that if Timmy doesn't make a bowl game next season, no extension. The new AD didn't hire Timmy, so its in Timmy best interest to make a bowl game ASAP. After that UNLV game we now know that Hawaii is not winning the MWC Championship this season.

For those that say stick with Timmy for the long term? His contract is written overwise, bowl game or bust.
June Jones, Rolo, Stutz, Brian just to mention a few that would come in if the job was open.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

The big Gorilla in the room is that Timmy comes at a bargain. He is one of the lowest paid coaches in all of major college football. 400K is nothing to laugh at. I'm certain he is one of the top state worker salaries in Hawaii. But in the grand scheme, he is a major discount for UH. While we appreciate he being TC, alum, local boy, bradduhood, the cost to keep him might be the greatest anchor that keeps TC right where he is at. At least for now. It's only second year, so too early for all the "fire timmy" talk. Especially if there is nothing particularly egregious going on. So long as he is running a "good" program, it's his job to have. Even with a losing record, I still say they keep him around longer than they would a non UH guy.
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

shrek2
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: SF Giants
NBA: Dubs
NFL: 9ers

Post by shrek2 »

bigislandkurt wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:11 am The big Gorilla in the room is that Timmy comes at a bargain. He is one of the lowest paid coaches in all of major college football. 400K is nothing to laugh at. I'm certain he is one of the top state worker salaries in Hawaii. But in the grand scheme, he is a major discount for UH. While we appreciate he being TC, alum, local boy, bradduhood, the cost to keep him might be the greatest anchor that keeps TC right where he is at. At least for now. It's only second year, so too early for all the "fire timmy" talk. Especially if there is nothing particularly egregious going on. So long as he is running a "good" program, it's his job to have. Even with a losing record, I still say they keep him around longer than they would a non UH guy.
Huh? I thought he was making $600K?
https://www.khon2.com/sports/new-hawaii ... -released/
Terms of Chang’s deal were disclosed on Tuesday afternoon. He has a four-year contract with a fifth-year trigger if the team reaches a bowl game in either 2022 or 2023. He is set to earn $500,010 in 2022, $600,006 in 2023, $700,008 in 2024, $750,006 in 2025, and $800,004 in 2026 if he were to unlock the fifth year in the original contract. Chang will also receive $15,000 to assist with relocation fees.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

The way Baylor is playing now Dave Aranda might be available in 2 seasons or less.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

WarriorTyme wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:25 pm The way Baylor is playing now Dave Aranda might be available in 2 seasons or less.
I can agree 100% that his original departure was a lost for UH. For today or tomorrow, if Baylor does not want him, why should UH?

This thread is about "getting back on track" so maybe too early.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

June's template of building a solid team started imo with recruiting good o-linemen and assistant coaches. I heard him say this exactly. He didn't swell over QBs and WRs but instead he swelled over recruiting good linemen. On one show I recall his exact words that incoming recruit, center, Estes, will be one of the best players in UH history, which turned out to be true imo. When you look at June's tenure his team's definitely had good o-linemen and his teams turned out the most o-linemen that went on to the NFL. Imo June's RNS was successful because his teams had solid o-lines. Even Rolovich hired a good o-line coach in CN, who imo turned things around with coching and recruiting good o-linemen.JUNE and ROLOVICH'S concepts of hiring good o-line coaches and recruiting good o-linemen contrast with TC's *unfortunately, whom seem (the o-line coach) to galvanizing over recruiting projects. I think if TCs to turn this around he needed to hire a seasoned o-line coach. One that's been there, done that One that has a good resume, and star power. So that it attracts better o-line recruits.

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

cabanalane wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:19 pm I can agree 100% that his original departure was a lost for UH. For today or tomorrow, if Baylor does not want him, why should UH?
You must be kidding. Here are a few reasons you'd want Dave Aranda (but have no chance of getting him to come back):
  • Head Coach of Baylor Football, the 2021 Big 12 Champions and winners of the 2022 Sugar Bowl.
  • In 2021, Aranda’s Baylor Bears tied for the best turnaround in college football, with a ten-win improvement from the previous year, finishing 12-2 including a school-record five wins against ranked opponents.
  • 2020 National Champion and 2019 SEC Championship as Asst. Coach at LSU; four seasons as associate head coach and defensive coordinator
  • 26-year coaching veteran
  • Widely considered one of the top defensive minds in football, Aranda has a track record of producing NFL-ready players.