2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by gopunahou »

locomoko wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:41 pm
unpaid wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:13 am D-I looks like the most competitive bracket. Unfortunately,just from my point of view, Iolani-Waipahu could be a semifinal game instead of the championship game.
Seeding the OIA champ as #4 seems designed to lessen the chances of all-Oahu finals in D1 & D2.
I think that’s the only explanation, being that I think Waipahu has done more to earn at least a #2 seed than the neighbor island D1 champions. I wonder if the committee also held Waipahu’s only loss against them. Ain’t no shame in losing to Campbell, even by 37. Unless they suffer a rash of injuries before or during their game against Kahuku, I think Campbell will give the Red Raiders a much greater challenge than short-handed Mililani did Friday.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

TheNewNORM wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:04 am With Konawaena playing 9 games against Big Island and winning by an average of a whopping 59 points maybe they should be in the Open too?
Konawaen’s dominance this year reminds me of their 1980s teams with Jim Barry. 70- and 80-point wins over BIIF opponents happened more often than not. But those teams also took some beatings from St. Louis in postseason games and struggled to beat some the worst teams we’ve ever fielded in the preseason.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Seems to me that Mililani is going to be the default winner to host state football finals. They have more on campus parking than Farrington does. There are also some shopping centers nearby that people will try to use,but I guess you might have to consider you might get booted.Farrington doesn’t have as much on campus parking. They are bounded by housing units that probably don’t appreciate seeing their parking hijacked by hs football fans coming in trying to find a spot. The park that is nearby doesn’t have close parking nearby. Farrington has a good stadium but not a lot of on-site parking. Same deal with Roosevelt… nice facility not much parking. Personally. Mililani is not that great for parking ,but they are better than Farrington and Roosevelt in that regard.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:13 pm Seems to me that Mililani is going to be the default winner to host state football finals. They have more on campus parking than Farrington does. There are also some shopping centers nearby that people will try to use,but I guess you might have to consider you might get booted.Farrington doesn’t have as much on campus parking. They are bounded by housing units that probably don’t appreciate seeing their parking hijacked by hs football fans coming in trying to find a spot. The park that is nearby doesn’t have close parking nearby. Farrington has a good stadium but not a lot of on-site parking. Same deal with Roosevelt… nice facility not much parking. Personally. Mililani is not that great for parking ,but they are better than Farrington and Roosevelt in that regard.
Sportshawaii said they'd host the final.

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

gopunahou wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:42 pm
TheNewNORM wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:04 am With Konawaena playing 9 games against Big Island and winning by an average of a whopping 59 points maybe they should be in the Open too?
Konawaen’s dominance this year reminds me of their 1980s teams with Jim Barry. 70- and 80-point wins over BIIF opponents happened more often than not. But those teams also took some beatings from St. Louis in postseason games and struggled to beat some the worst teams we’ve ever fielded in the preseason.
If I’m not mistaken, they beat Punahou teams in preseason and had a game against St Louis losing 21-14.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

It seems like there is a lack of parity in the Big Island. Maybe it's because some of the teams are in the more rural areas of the island, and youth/developmental programs aren't that good? This happens a lot in girls basketball too, with Konawaena.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:45 pm
It seems like there is a lack of parity in the Big Island. Maybe it's because some of the teams are in the more rural areas of the island, and youth/developmental programs aren't that good? This happens a lot in girls basketball too, with Konawaena.
There used to be an 8-man league on the Big Island that accommodated small schools. But I think that pride makes these small schools think they can hang with the bigger ones.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

What gets my goat is watching a well matched Aiea and Waipahu pounding it out with big time hits and injuries for the OIA , in the biggest D1 league in the State. Then these 2 teams first games are on the neighbor island @ their opponents field. Then the semi is 3 pm at IOLANI while the other semi is at Konawaena? Does that make sense?

With that logic shouldn't Kahuku play Campbell at Kahuku and Punahou play Mililani at Punahou field at 3 pm? Then play the Championship at Mililani? Something doesn't pass the smell test.

But Aiea and Waipahu got stiffed. Also IOLANI semi is after they get a one month rest. Huh?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

TheNewNORM wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:50 pm What gets my goat is watching a well matched Aiea and Waipahu pounding it out with big time hits and injuries for the OIA , in the biggest D1 league in the State. Then these 2 teams first games are on the neighbor island @ their opponents field. Then the semi is 3 pm at IOLANI while the other semi is at Konawaena? Does that make sense?

With that logic shouldn't Kahuku play Campbell at Kahuku and Punahou play Mililani at Punahou field at 3 pm? Then play the Championship at Mililani? Something doesn't pass the smell test.

But Aiea and Waipahu got stiffed. Also IOLANI semi is after they get a one month rest. Huh?
All of this is true. Regarding the Open games this weekend, my guess is that they are trying to boost gate sales. The people behind the brackets also care much more about the gate sales of Open games than those of the other state tournament games. Speaking of gate sales, didn’t the schedulers bother to understand that having the Open championship game before the other two state championship games will render those two games anticlimactic (to everybody but the parents/fans of the participating D1 and D2 state championship finalists)? The crowd at the Open state title game will be at least 1.5x times larger than that of the crowds of the next two games (especially if there is at least one D1 and D2 state finalist from the neighbor islands).

The staradvertiser mentioned in an article today that Waipahu’s and Nanakuli’s seeding was a head-scratcher. The only benefit to them playing on the 11th is that it’ll give their freshman QB more reps and chances to familiarize himself with varsity play.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

University Ave wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:45 pm
If I’m not mistaken, they beat Punahou teams in preseason and had a game against St Louis losing 21-14.
The two times they beat us, we finished last in the ILH. They also didn’t beat us by much. 28-16 in 1984 and 21-17 in 1983 (which is arguably the worst season of Punahou football ever—at least on the defensive side of the ball).

Their only close game was against St. Louis was 1985, 28-21. The previous two games against St. Louis were 42-13 in 1984 and 35-0 in 1985.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/11/ ... all-coach/

Many who know Abu says he’s one of the nicest men you’ll ever meet. I also thought they’d keep him for two reasons: KSK’s success last season and the fact that graduation severely crippled this year’s team. But I guess a winless season this year, six straight non-winning seasons (last year’s team, despite its two victories over St. Louis last year, finished 3-3), and watching their two biggest rivals win the ILH Open within the past seven years were too much to bear.

I’m thinking that KSK backers will expect them to go after KSK alum Makoa Freitas. The 2017 Kahuku team he coached nearly knocked off a powerful St. Louis team. Don’t know if he’d take the job. Of course, another easy candidate is their D2 coach, whose team dominated the Punahou and St. Louis D2 teams this past year.

The ironic thing about Abu’s coaching days at KSK was that as a he player, the teams he played on never once lost to us, and only once did we come within 15 points of them. Only twice did he defeat us as a coach, and never once did he did it twice in a single season.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

gopunahou wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:08 pm https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/11/ ... all-coach/

Many who know Abu says he’s one of the nicest men you’ll ever meet. I also thought they’d keep him for two reasons: KSK’s success last season and the fact that graduation severely crippled this year’s team. But I guess a winless season this year, six straight non-winning seasons (last year’s team, despite its two victories over St. Louis last year, finished 3-3), and watching their two biggest rivals win the ILH Open within the past seven years were too much to bear.

I’m thinking that KSK backers will expect them to go after KSK alum Makoa Freitas. The 2017 Kahuku team he coached nearly knocked off a powerful St. Louis team. Don’t know if he’d take the job. Of course, another easy candidate is their D2 coach, whose team dominated the Punahou and St. Louis D2 teams this past year.

The ironic thing about Abu’s coaching days at KSK was that as a he player, the teams he played on never once lost to us, and only once did we come within 15 points of them. Only twice did he defeat us as a coach, and never once did he did it twice in a single season.
I thought the same about Makoa Freitas. Truth is Makoa took over a talented and sucessful Kahuku program. I believe Makoa is part of the Kahuku JV program now. Kamehameha needs to recruit more and like academics, persuade the top admins that these students atheletes can acquire scholarships on all levels. I mean what is a WARRIOR?

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Kamehameha needs an offensive guru. They have been averaging under or at 14ppg for several years with the exception of the 2021 team. You have to have Hawaiian ancestry to even have a chance to qualify to take the entrance exam. Recruiting will always be limited. Like it or not, whites,blacks,Chinese ,Japanese,Filipinos,Mexicans,Cambodians,Thais etc.are all coming here to live. Just the way it is.

Maybe it is time for Kamehameha to think about what it means to be Hawaiian in 2022. I’m including academics as well as athletics in this.The Bishop estate was created to keep Hawaiians in the game of life through education. That is an admiral goal. At some point,looking at the demographics in the last 200 years,Kamehameha is going to have to to consider every resident child a Hawaiian and take anyone who can pass the entrance exam. No problem with taking kids with Hawaiian blood , but the way things are going, Kamehameha is going to have to open up admissions to any resident child in Hawaii.

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

Reggie Torres is in year 2 as an athletic director at Kamehameha. I'm sure he has opinions on the direction of the football program there.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

locomoko wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:42 pm Reggie Torres is in year 2 as an athletic director at Kamehameha. I'm sure he has opinions on the direction of the football program there.
One reason Freitas is a huge candidate is because Torres knows him from having worked with him in the past.