2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by gopunahou »

Punahou 24, St. Louis 8 F

History nearly completely repeated itself before St. Louis scored. We nearly shut them out to win our third game against them this season, something we did in 2005. I love that we've matched that team's feat (snapping St. Louis's long streak of ILH titles and beating them 3 times in a season--something that nearly never happens), but we ain't done. I'm obviously hoping for a different ending from the 2005 season.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I wonder if the QB who started tonight for Waipahu came up from the JV team. I haven't completely followed the Waipahu-Aiea game tonight, being that my team happened to play an important game. If he did come up from the JV team, he's been impressive. It also gives Waipahu a new offensive weapon since it allows their recent QB to move back to WR. This current Waipahu QB could match Andrew Manley's feat 15 years ago. Tonight might not be the last meeting between Waipahu and Aiea.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Waipahu is the #4 seed in the Division I bracket. I think that's way too low, especially when one considers that Konawaena and Lahainaluna are the #2 and #3 teams, respectively. I think Waipahu has done more to earn to earn the #2 seed than those other two teams.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:31 pm Waipahu is the #4 seed in the Division I bracket. I think that's way too low, especially when one considers that Konawaena and Lahainaluna are the #2 and #3 teams, respectively. I think Waipahu has done more to earn to earn the #2 seed than those other two teams.
Do you have the brackets for all 3 tournaments?

I'm assuming the Open is Kahuku-Campbell, and Punahou-Mililani.

I think D1 is Kapaa, Iolani, Waipahu, Aiea, Lahainaluna, and Konawaena.

D2 is Waimea, King Kekaulike, Pac-5, Nanakuli, Kaiser, and not sure of the Big island representative.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:19 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:31 pm Waipahu is the #4 seed in the Division I bracket. I think that's way too low, especially when one considers that Konawaena and Lahainaluna are the #2 and #3 teams, respectively. I think Waipahu has done more to earn to earn the #2 seed than those other two teams.

D2 is Waimea, King Kekaulike, Pac-5, Nanakuli, Kaiser, and not sure of the Big island representative.
Your matchups for the Open are correct. Iolani and Konawaena are top seeds in D1 with Lahainaluna playing Aiea and Waipahu playing Kapaa. The top two seeds in D2 are King Kekaulike and Honokaa. I think Kaiser will play Waimea while Nanakuli will take on P5.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:27 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:19 pm

Your matchups for the Open are correct. Iolani and Konawaena are top seeds in D1 with Lahainaluna playing Aiea and Waipahu playing Kapaa. The top two seeds in D2 are King Kekaulike and Honokaa. I think Kaiser will play Waimea while Nanakuli will take on P5.
My personal observations. According to the HHSAA website, the championship games will be held at Mililani, not Farrington?

Waipahu may not have gotten a first round bye, but they do have a favorable matchup in Kapaa, as either a rematch with Aiea, or a matchup with Lahainaluna in the first round would have been tougher.

King Kekaulike with the top seed in D2? Both Nanakuli and Honokaa were more impressive in league play. Although Nanakuli has a favorable matchup against Pac-5. I think they can also beat King Kekaulike and make the state final. This may be their chance for their first ever state title in football.

I wonder if the playoff seeds for D1 and D2 are set by league, and not team performance? It seems OIA teams don't get seeded as highly in D1 or D2, often playing neighbor island champs at their place. Maybe because the neighbor island teams aren't eligible for Open, they get seeded higher in the other state tourneys as a "consolation"?

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

I also would like to see Pac-5 move to D1 with Iolani and Damien, and just have the Big Island have a second representative in D2.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Sportshigh is saying that Mililani is hosting the Open semifinals and championship game. I can understand the presence of west side teams (Mililani and Campbell), as well as the shorter drive Kahuku would make to Mililani as opposed to Farrington, but this does give Mililani a home game against us. Regardless, that might be Mililani's only advantage. They'll need a much better performance from their current QB against us than he gave them against Kahuku.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:03 pm
gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:41 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:37 pm Anyone know why Mililani's starting QB is out tonight?
Not even the article that talked about the game specified why he missed it. It did say that he’d also miss the state tournament.
That will help Punahou's chances in the semifinal. I'm assuming the Open state bracket will be Kahuku-Campbell, and Punahou-Mililani.
Sore knee. Felipe said morning after the Campbell game he had pain. Still gimpy during the week. Why risk further injury against the most brutal defense in Kahuku. York gives him 4 week rest.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Thirteen,

1.Kahuku 10-2 Def. Mililani 35-0 OIA Open champs.
2.Punahou 8-1 Def. St. Louis 24-8 ILH Open champs.
3.Campbell 7-3 Def. Kapolei 49-42. On to states.Move up one place.
4.Mililani 7-4 lost to Kahuku. On to states. Drop down one spot.
5.St. Louis 4-5 lost to Punahou. Season over.
6.Iolani 9-0 DNP.
7.Lahainaluna 9-0 DNP.
8.Waipahu 8-1 Def. Aiea 38-30.OIA D-I champs. Move up one spot.
9.Kapolei 6-5 Lost to Campbell. Season over. Drop down one spot.
10.Konawaena 9-2 Def. Hilo 51-0. BIIF D-I champs. First appearance in 2022 Top Ten.

Aiea 8-3 dropped out with a loss to Waipahu but Na Alii move on to states as OIA has two berths in the playoffs.

D-I looks like the most competitive bracket. Unfortunately,just from my point of view, Iolani-Waipahu could be a semifinal game instead of the championship game. Aiea,Lahainaluna,and Konawaena also could make it to the championship game in a very balanced field. You could make an argument for any combination of these Teams to make the final and the matchups would not be disappointing.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

These OIA playoffs has been brutal with injuries. All teams suffer. The OIA should whittle it down to #1 and #2 playing the championship game.
On another subject, now that Waipahu has a bonified program, with several championships, and BIG BOYS, it's time to move up to OPEN. Aiea is not far behind. Farrington not far behind, but their program sucks. These neighborhoods are loaded with big families and Poly families. Kids, just stay home and rep your home town.
One last thing, Mililani Field. The lights has been faulty in rain. As seen last night, the clock has been faulty all season. Why not Farrington field?

808hsfootball
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808hsfootball »

TheNewNORM wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:39 am These OIA playoffs has been brutal with injuries. All teams suffer. The OIA should whittle it down to #1 and #2 playing the championship game.
On another subject, now that Waipahu has a bonified program, with several championships, and BIG BOYS, it's time to move up to OPEN. Aiea is not far behind. Farrington not far behind, but their program sucks. These neighborhoods are loaded with big families and Poly families. Kids, just stay home and rep your home town.
One last thing, Mililani Field. The lights has been faulty in rain. As seen last night, the clock has been faulty all season. Why not Farrington field?
exactly that’s why i’m so confused right now. it doesn’t make any sense because it’s not like mililani can fit a lot more people than farrington. I understand that it may be closer for 3/4 teams but especially with the points you just brought up. farrington should be hosting but it’s not my call.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

With Konawaena playing 9 games against Big Island and winning by an average of a whopping 59 points maybe they should be in the Open too?

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

808hsfootball wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:31 am
TheNewNORM wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:39 am These OIA playoffs has been brutal with injuries. All teams suffer. The OIA should whittle it down to #1 and #2 playing the championship game.
exactly that’s why i’m so confused right now. it doesn’t make any sense because it’s not like mililani can fit a lot more people than farrington. I understand that it may be closer for 3/4 teams but especially with the points you just brought up. farrington should be hosting but it’s not my call.
Actually when Mililani plays at Farrington, at least some Mililani players family can walk to Skippa Diaz Field. Joke.

locomoko
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by locomoko »

unpaid wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:13 am D-I looks like the most competitive bracket. Unfortunately,just from my point of view, Iolani-Waipahu could be a semifinal game instead of the championship game.
Seeding the OIA champ as #4 seems designed to lessen the chances of all-Oahu finals in D1 & D2.