2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: 2022 Open/D-I Top Ten

Post by gopunahou »

TheNewNORM wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:44 am
ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:09 pm
gopunahou wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:07 pm
Yes, because that’s what happened with us. I think this is allowed in the ILH because the league allows 2nd team players to rejoin the varsity once the 2nd team’s season ends. I know that some of our D2 kids played a bit in our August games.
Ok. Do you also happen to know why the ILH ended JV football around 20 years ago? I mean, having second teams is pretty close to what JV is, except in JV, usually only freshmen and sophomores are eligible. At least in the OIA.

Are juniors and seniors eligible to play on the 2nd team? Or is it just underclassmen?
Just by looking at Scoringlive rosters, I see 2 seniors and 1 junior listed on Kamehameha 2 roster. I dont know why because their roster looks 50+ so numbers are not a problem. The Punahou 2 and StL 2 roster has limited info, so unknown about juniors and seniors.
I dont know the rules governing the 2s ILH teams but if it is as gopunahou says, about Vars and Jv crossing over as they please, then it's to their advantage.
Also one more switch on the Top Ten. I like Mililani at #2. And if they should upset Kahuku (unlikely) then there would be 3 way tie at the Top next week. Also I dont think Coach Kia will sit his starters to avoid injuries. Getting quality playing time heading into post season is crucial.
Good points about the starters playing. They are indeed playing tonight and I think they insisted on playing. But they won’t be much longer, as Punahou leads 27-0. I thought they would, being that Punahou rested its key players in 2012 against Kamehameha (after winning the ILH the year before). This year resembles 2012, with us playing at Kahuku and losing in a tough battle to start the year. I hope the ending is different, lol.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

Punahou 69-7 over Kamehemeha. I have to think this is the biggest margin of victory any of the big 3 ILH teams have had playing against each other. I know St Louis had some 80 point wins over Damien and Pac-5 in the 90's and early 2000's.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:18 pm Punahou 69-7 over Kamehemeha. I have to think this is the biggest margin of victory any of the big 3 ILH teams have had playing against each other. I know St Louis had some 80 point wins over Damien and Pac-5 in the 90's and early 2000's.
Kamehameha beat us 64-0—78 years ago. I do wonder if it would’ve been closer had our 3rd and 4th stringers (who are now on the Punahou Varsity 2 team) been available. I couldn’t find the game streaming, but according to scoringlive, nearly everything went our way.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

808hsfootball
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808hsfootball »

unpaid wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:07 pm I’ve said it before,and I’ll say it again- 808hsfootball and gopunahou both start off an anti-Iolani comment with the same I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again words.

One has to wonder if gopunahou and 808high school football aren’t the same person .

Get over the hate.

Punahou is in Open and Iolani is in D-I . They won’t be playing each other this year.

And no, I don’t think Iolani could beat Punahou or any of the other four teams I have ranked above Iolani .
why would you even question if me and go punahou are the same person? and no, i don’t hate iolani, i just have a problem w how they don’t play top level teams.

808hsfootball
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808hsfootball »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:26 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:18 pm Punahou 69-7 over Kamehemeha. I have to think this is the biggest margin of victory any of the big 3 ILH teams have had playing against each other. I know St Louis had some 80 point wins over Damien and Pac-5 in the 90's and early 2000's.
Kamehameha beat us 64-0—78 years ago. I do wonder if it would’ve been closer had our 3rd and 4th stringers (who are now on the Punahou Varsity 2 team) been available. I couldn’t find the game streaming, but according to scoringlive, nearly everything went our way.
i was at the game. it was a bigger gap than the score says. if the clock hadn’t started running then the game definitely would’ve gotten up to the 80s or 90s.

808hsfootball
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808hsfootball »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:26 pm
while at the game i had the opportunity to talk to some of the punahou ppl abt the d1 and d2 teams. apparently punahou does have a handful of seniors on d2 and they beat saint louis 2 today. i heard that you’re able to bring players up from d2 but not drop them down from d1. also the reason why they were all on d1 in the beginning of the season was that it was apparently preseason and they were able to play with the d1.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week Eleven,

1.Kahuku 8-2 Def. Mililani 29-17. No.7 Kapolei next in OIA playoffs.
2.Punahou 7-1 Def. Kamehameha 69-7.
3.Campbell 6-2 DNP. @ No.4 Mililani next in OIA playoffs. Bumped up one spot.
4.Mililani 6-3 Lost to Kahuku. No.3 Campbell next in OIA playoffs. Drop down one place.
5.St. Louis 3-4 DNP. @ Kamehameha next in ILH playoffs.
6.Iolani 9-0 Def. PAC-5 49-14.
7.Kapolei 6-3 Def. Leilehua 39-14. @ No.1 Kahuku next in OIA playoffs.
8.Lahainaluna 8-0 Def. Baldwin 35-0. Kekaulike next.
9.Waipahu 7-1 DNP. @ Farrington next in OIA playoffs.
10.Aiea 7-2 Def. Farrington 31-10. Kailua next in OIA playoffs.

Playoffs starting and we’re getting down to serious business.

TheNewNORM
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by TheNewNORM »

gopunahou wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:51 pm
ChadFukuoka wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:09 pm

Ok. Do you also happen to know why the ILH ended JV football around 20 years ago? I mean, having second teams is pretty close to what JV is, except in JV, usually only freshmen and sophomores are eligible. At least in the OIA.

Are juniors and seniors eligible to play on the 2nd team? Or is it just underclassmen?
Just by looking at Scoringlive rosters, I see 2 seniors and 1 junior listed on Kamehameha 2 roster. I dont know why because their roster looks 50+ so numbers are not a problem. The Punahou 2 and StL 2 roster has limited info, so unknown about juniors and seniors.
I dont know the rules governing the 2s ILH teams but if it is as gopunahou says, about Vars and Jv crossing over as they please, then it's to their advantage.
Also one more switch on the Top Ten. I like Mililani at #2. And if they should upset Kahuku (unlikely) then there would be 3 way tie at the Top next week. Also I dont think Coach Kia will sit his starters to avoid injuries. Getting quality playing time heading into post season is crucial.
Good points about the starters playing. They are indeed playing tonight and I think they insisted on playing. But they won’t be much longer, as Punahou leads 27-0. I thought they would, being that Punahou rested its key players in 2012 against Kamehameha (after winning the ILH the year before). This year resembles 2012, with us playing at Kahuku and losing in a tough battle to start the year. I hope the ending is different, lol.
I dont know, at 55-7, Punahou's last 2 scores were from 1st stringers in the 4th quarter. So much for resting the starters.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

TheNewNORM wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:36 am

I dont know, at 55-7, Punahou's last 2 scores were from 1st stringers in the 4th quarter. So much for resting the starters.
I do wonder if those kids were still in the game because we are thin at RB and some secondary positions. I think that Alex Yuen, a backup RB and rover, didn’t play, even though he’d seen a lot of playing time in previous blowouts.
Last edited by gopunahou on Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChadFukuoka
Starter
Starter

Post by ChadFukuoka »

gopunahou wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:01 pm
I do wonder if those kids were still in the game because we are thin at RB and some secondary positions. I think that Alex Yuen, a RB and rover, didn’t play, even though he’d seen a lot of playing time in previous blowouts.
Not to necessarily bring up a bad memory, but this Yuen kid wouldn't happen to be the son of the former basketball coach that got into that sexual harassment scandal? I'm guessing no relation?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

ChadFukuoka wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:26 pm

I do wonder if those kids were still in the game because we are thin at RB and some secondary positions. I think that Alex Yuen, a RB and rover, didn’t play, even though he’d seen a lot of playing time in previous blowouts.
Not to necessarily bring up a bad memory, but this Yuen kid wouldn't happen to be the son of the former basketball coach that got into that sexual harassment scandal? I'm guessing no relation?
I doubt it. I also know (about that case) that Kale Ane did nothing to enable Dwayne Yuen. To do so would destroy his relationship with his children.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I'm anticipating that Punahou will play St. Louis unless Kamehameha can pull off an upset as big as all of those times Iolani beat one of the Big Three. We've beaten both of them three times in the same season (Kamehameha in 2016 and St. Louis in 2005). As good as this year's St. Louis team has been, we are perfectly capable of matching the 2005's feat, as well as another feat of that team (ending a long streak of ILH titles from St. Louis). I also think we can finish with a different ending than that 2005 team. We've only got one loss so far. The last time a team with more than one loss won a high-level state championship was 2007 Leilehua. We've got a good chance of continuing that streak if we don't lose before the state tournament.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Believe it or not, I haven't seen any comments accusing Punahou of running up the score yesterday at StarAdvertiser. The comments did say that Kamehameha should've been a D1 team this year. I understand that sentiment completely, because had there been three divisions between 1997 and 2004, people would've said that we belonged in the middle division of the ILH with Iolani. Only once in ILH play has Kamehameha not been mercy-ruled. Between 1997 and 2004, we were taking blowout losses to St. Louis and Kamehameha, so I know how Kamehameha fans feel. I also don't think the talent level at Kamehameha is as high as it was in the 90s and 2000s.

808hsfootball
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 808hsfootball »

I do wonder if those kids were still in the game because we are thin at RB and some secondary positions. I think that Alex Yuen, a backup RB and rover, didn’t play, even though he’d seen a lot of playing time in previous blowouts.
yuen was playing but got injured. i believe i saw him on the sideline with crutches.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

808hsfootball wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:46 pm

yuen was playing but got injured. i believe i saw him on the sideline with crutches.
Hope he heals between now and the ILH title game. Speaking of which, if you are going to that, let me know, because I think I might go to that, too.