Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

The Positives From The SDST Game

Post by sarvicdar »

The Positives From The SDST Game

Positives

1. Put on a good show for CBS. The viewing audience saw a close game that was decided by a game winning FG. The last time UH was on national TV and CBS the Warriors lost to Vanderbilt 63-10.

2. *Allowed 0 sacks (and only 3 QB hurries) and SDST D had only 3 TFL for 11 yards. The Warriors D had a season high 6 TFL, 2 QB sacks for -26 yards. On the season the O-line has given up only 10 sacks in 6 games and after allowing 3 sacks in the first game against Vanderbilt the O-line has played well over the last 5 games. On the season the Warrior QB's have attempted 230 passes for a ratio of being sacked
once in 23 passes. Last season's O-line gave up 39 sacks in 462 pass attempts for a ratio of being sacked once in 11.8 passes.

*What should be noted is that SDST was shutout from getting a sack against UH, of which the last time SDST was shutout was against Nevada in 2020, some 22 games ago.

3. Allowed 95 yards rushing to a team that was averaging nearly 200 yards a game.

4. Played good D in the first half, limiting SDST to 123 yards total offense. Of SDST first four possessions at the start of the game UH's D forced SDST to punt.

5. Had only 4 penalties for 33 yards.

6. Shipley's 7 punts for a 45.1 average, which is a season high and his second best punting day in 19 career games. He had a long of 59 yards and 3 punts downed inside the 20.

7. 0 interceptions against SDST, and after throwing 5 in the Western Kentucky game the Warrior QB's have thrown a total of 6 INT in 6 games. In the Warriors 3 road games the team has turned the ball over 1 time (a fumble in the SDST game).

8. Allowed only 1 TD and 3 FG. Shut SDST from entering the red zone.

9. 33073 tickets sold for the game. A noticeable amount of UH fans in attendance supporting the team.
Travis LaBoy's speech to the team at Friday's practice.

10. Bowens 9 receptions for 113 yards is a career high in receptions. Last season he had a total of 12 receptions.

11. Manning continues to impress.
(Pff.com)
Offensive Grades-

1. Manning-81.0
2. Bowens-77.3
3. Hines-77.0
4. Vanterpool-72.0
5. Nishigaya-70.7

Defensive Grades-

1. Taala-73.3
5. Tufaga-65.7
5. Pavihi-65.7

12. Improved to #166 in the Sagarian Rankings. Last week UH was in the 170's. Idk about UH's status in the bottom 10.

13. Fans phones were pretty mellow compared to other times. For example Dr. Joyce was concerned as to why CC is playing at SJST.

14. Did the Warriors come out of the SDST game injury free? What ever happened to Marsh, Hoohuli, Perdue?

15. Tanuvasa's replacement, Muasau, at center filled in adequately taking all 58 snaps and grading a 61.9. Hopp continues to improve, grading a 64.1.😃

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Re: The Positives From The SDST Game

Post by cabanalane »

Positives.

The running game is strong for UH with RB1 and RB2 (we can debate who is 1 and 2).

Looks like RB3 is pretty awesome too.

Forget RNS. Maybe UH should be a running team, and pass to mix it up. Stick with what the guys do best, right now, and perfect that FTW.

Like what CBS Sports guy said about SDST. The give the QB plays like In & Out Burger. Only a few items, but do well at just these few. The playbook does not always need to be thick as a Bible.

WarriorTyme
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by WarriorTyme »

I would temper the enthusiasm, Hawaii is not going to sneak up on any MWC team after that SDSU game. Nevada and the other MWC teams now know Hawaii is coming to play for keeps. And they will not be taking Hawaii as an easy win anymore. The MWC teams are on notice that they will be in for a dogfight if they come into a game with Hawaii half okole.

#1. Hawaii had an advantage of 2 weeks to get ready for SDSU with the Bye Week. It's always been the coaches that are the weakness of this year's team not the young men on the roster. Let's see if the coaches can replicate that type gameplan from now on every week. I think we can put to bed the talent on the Hawaii roster is not FBS level talent. Because these young men are FBS level talent and are ready to kick okole. They just needed the coaches to have them in the correct Alignment and Assignment.

#2. The Hawaii team has got it's RnS identity back, this was long overdue! Everyone knows Hawaii Football is the RnS and Hawaii doesn't apologize about the repeated air assault tossing the ball around the yard. If you paid attention Timmy was intense but was actually having fun because the RnS is in his DNA. The RnS was the base offense with a mix of Shoemakers plays, this will take some time to execute at a high level, but the Hawaii offense is headed in the right direction. Schager can run this offense, but still needs take advantage and scoot for the first down when it's open field in front of him.

#3. The Hawaii defense was attacking last night, and they stopped the run! The secondary got torched last night by the converted SDSU Safety to QB 4th string or it is 5th string QB. Got to give him credit he played well for someone who was on SDSU Defense last week. While I saw improvement by the Hawaii defense, I'm going to have to see how they play with no bye week for aid in preparation. Nevada is game 7 the defense coaches should have the Hawaii defense way ahead of the Hawaii Offense by this point.

#4 Once again, Matthew Shipley is the MVP of this team. I was told that Halverson is more talented than Shipley but last night kick off out of bounds. Gave SDSU the ball at the 35-yard line showed that Halverson is not as clutch/consistent as Shipley in game situations. That will come in time, with more game time reps, after Shipley grads.

#5 I don't think running a pure RnS Offense would be prudent in modern football, RnS Hybrid Offense has served Hawaii well under Rolovich as Hawaii OC and as Hawaii Head Coach. I think the mold has been cast by Rolovich that Hybrid RnS/RPO and he even did RnS/Read Option Offensive. Timmy has imprinted his version of the Hybrid RnS Offense with Shoemaker no name Offense.

While there is no moral victory with any loss. It's time to see if Timmy and his coaching staff can replicate this improvement week by week.

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

SDSU's 4th string quarterback - turned safety - turned starting quarterback was especially impressive in their last drive with quick decision-making, a quick release, and on target throws to wide open receivers. Other than that, UH's defense held down their offense for the rest of the game. That last drive took just over one minute off the game clock. SDSU should run their two minute offense the rest of the season.

I liked the Warriors' effort - still very much a work in progress but had much improvement.

Also among the missing was Nasjae Bryant-Lelei. Injury? I recall reading previously that Hoohuli was out due to injury.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

16. Jalen Walthall continues to progress. The WR made his 3rd start of the season against SDST, and was targeted 5 times with 3 catches for 29 yards. On the season JW been targeted 30 times with 14 receptions for 164 yards and no drops. Part of the WR shortcomings is that he's not on same page with the QB but once that comes around there might be a lot of potential here. Currently the player is grading a 57.0 and gaining valuable playing experience/developing. As a redshirt freshmen his future looks bright.

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

17. The Warriors gained momentum from the SDST game that should lead to a spirited week of practice. Morale should be up as the team, coaches and players take inventory of what they have. The team can feel good about themselves, and say, "if we do this, this and this, correct a few mistakes here and there, and get on the same page with QB and RNS there might be a good chance we beat Nevada."

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

My3Cats wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:42 am
Also among the missing was Nasjae Bryant-Lelei. Injury?
He was suited up standing on the sidelines.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

Nishigaya knows the offense and how to get open. If the blocking was a little bit better for a little bit longer he was breaking free deep over the middle. I like that Bowens is back. He gives us that long threat which also helps our running game. He will draw special coverage. Too much of a threat. Connect one long pass early in the game and we should be able to run effectively. Last game after watching our oline block Early in the game I knew we could run on them. If we can get our slots more involved we may see the run and shoot working the way it should. Players just need more reps. I like Timmy finally going with one quarterback. I expect to see a huge improvement the next game.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

cabanalane wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:11 am Positives.

The running game is strong for UH with RB1 and RB2 (we can debate who is 1 and 2).

Looks like RB3 is pretty awesome too.

Forget RNS. Maybe UH should be a running team, and pass to mix it up. Stick with what the guys do best, right now, and perfect that FTW.

Like what CBS Sports guy said about SDST. The give the QB plays like In & Out Burger. Only a few items, but do well at just these few. The playbook does not always need to be thick as a Bible.
I actually thought that our offense except at quarterback could run the spread. We really strong at runningback. For passing I still think we need a bigger stronger back who won’t get blocked backwards into our quarterback. I can see our backs trying really hard but mac truck will run through and over a volkswagon every time. Just physics.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

wailukuwarriorfan
Starter
Starter

Post by wailukuwarriorfan »

RedZone wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:32 pm
I actually thought that our offense except at quarterback could run the spread. We really strong at runningback. For passing I still think we need a bigger stronger back who won’t get blocked backwards into our quarterback. I can see our backs trying really hard but mac truck will run through and over a volkswagon every time. Just physics.
Derek Boyd II, 6'-1", 215 lbs. could serve as the power Running Back who has more size, that could also serve as a more durable blocker on pass plays. I would like to see Derek get some playing time. Looks strong and athletic.

If we are running more RnS, I would like to see Cooper get some playing time as well, since he is familiar with the RnS from Washington State.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

wailukuwarriorfan wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:13 pm
Derek Boyd II, 6'-1", 215 lbs. could serve as the power Running Back who has more size, that could also serve as a more durable blocker on pass plays. I would like to see Derek get some playing time. Looks strong and athletic.
True frosh RB Derek Boyd II and Keith Moton III each sustained significant upper-body injuries early in Fall Camp so haven’t suited up thus far for any games this season. My guess is they both will be redshirting this season.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

If we are running more RnS, I would like to see Cooper get some playing time as well, since he is familiar with the RnS from Washington State.
I felt the same way too. Rolo once said Cooper was pretty good. Then again, coaches always try to be positive.

Everyone can grow and develop, so get chance. But there must be reasons why they are 4th string on the last team. That does not mean Cooper is not going to contribute with the team. Maybe he is just not that talented or skillful. Every player think they are, so they transfer to get more playing time.

Brayden Schager is the "chosen one" granted it was by Todd Graham. That's not a guarantee either. The point I want to make is that the coaches see something there that often we don't. It may be on the field or maybe off the field.

Not talking about Cooper, but some guys been through 2-3 transfers/schools. Maybe they are really not that good if the coaches from different schools kind of make the same conclusion.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

cabanalane wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:02 am

I felt the same way too. Rolo once said Cooper was pretty good. Then again, coaches always try to be positive.

Everyone can grow and develop, so get chance. But there must be reasons why they are 4th string on the last team. That does not mean Cooper is not going to contribute with the team. Maybe he is just not that talented or skillful. Every player think they are, so they transfer to get more playing time.

Brayden Schager is the "chosen one" granted it was by Todd Graham. That's not a guarantee either. The point I want to make is that the coaches see something there that often we don't. It may be on the field or maybe off the field.

Not talking about Cooper, but some guys been through 2-3 transfers/schools. Maybe they are really not that good if the coaches from different schools kind of make the same conclusion.
It's also just unfortunate circumstance. Cooper was recruited by Mike Leach for his Air Raid offense and by most accounts from what I saw from Cougar fans was that Cooper was going to be the next man up. But then Leach left and Rolo took over with the RNS. Also by happenstance DeLaura, who also recruited by Leach, committed to WSU, but he also had the knowledge and experience of running the RNS at St. Louis so he had headstart over the other QBs and eventually got the starting nod one would think cause of that headstart.