Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Looking a little grim

Post by RedZone »

1. No mo Gov who is number fan.
2. No mo brand new stadium to wow fans.
3. No mo Dick Tomey who could really get fans excited.

I am glad I was here to experience all of that. I don’t expect to see that again in my lifetime. Still I am a fan on UH football.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1:

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Can we get some high school games in Ching Stadium? I mean give our young high school athletes some connection to the program. Oh, forget about it. Someone will say I am an idiot for not understanding how things work. The university cant do that. DAGs or some bureaucrat will say no. Maybe that is NCAA banned? Whatever. Our state not getting better at anything.

UnBiasFan
All-American
All-American

Post by UnBiasFan »

Link

This is the 20 year plan!

Substitute green out …. West Makaha! Mount Ka'ala! Chee Hoo! We got this!

Look out Aggies … we are coming to Las Cruces!!!

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

UnBiasFan wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:39 pm

Link

This is the 20 year plan!

Substitute green out …. West Makaha! Mount Ka'ala! Chee Hoo! We got this!

Look out Aggies … we are coming to Las Cruces!!!
LOL. Almost wishful thinking. When UH calls for a green out, white out, or black out for any of the sporting events, fans are still uncolor coordinated and it is kalakoa all ova. Never mind regular home games when the athletic department doesn't call for a color out you still get almost all kalakoa. Schools with the tradition (see the Michigan game) all color coordinate. Maybe Hawaii fans want to show a mash out rainbow?
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

bigislandkurt
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
MLB: Dodgers
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Vikings

Post by bigislandkurt »

Kalakoa fans. haaa. Too funny. :lol:
Friendship is Essential to the Soul

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

Well maybe now it's looking more grim. LOL but one can still hope
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

couz808
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by couz808 »

UnBiasFan wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:58 pm Can we get some high school games in Ching Stadium? I mean give our young high school athletes some connection to the program. Oh, forget about it. Someone will say I am an idiot for not understanding how things work. The university cant do that. DAGs or some bureaucrat will say no. Maybe that is NCAA banned? Whatever. Our state not getting better at anything.
I believe parking would be an issue if there was UH volleyball going on at the same time. They could probably have high school games play in the day time t Ching field while volleyball plays at night.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

couz808 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:40 am
UnBiasFan wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:58 pm Can we get some high school games in Ching Stadium? I mean give our young high school athletes some connection to the program. Oh, forget about it. Someone will say I am an idiot for not understanding how things work. The university cant do that. DAGs or some bureaucrat will say no. Maybe that is NCAA banned? Whatever. Our state not getting better at anything.
I believe parking would be an issue if there was UH volleyball going on at the same time. They could probably have high school games play in the day time t Ching field while volleyball plays at night.
At least for DOE public schools, my understanding (based on past conversations with DOE school administrator friends) is that there is a strong preference to play their high school games on-campus so that the host school can generate revenue through ticket & concession sales. UH would need to work out an arrangement with the DOE to make it financially beneficial to the DOE and the affected public schools to play high school games at Ching Stadium.

Maui Boy in Alaska
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench
NBA: Lakers
NFL: Bears

Post by Maui Boy in Alaska »

Been a fan since 1984 and I bleed green and white. This last game was hard and frustrating to watch, but honestly not surprising. You can't win without talent. I see players trying hard and I see guys in position to make plays on both sides of the ball. However, before the season started, you heard a lot of people talking about lack of speed and talent at the DL and WR position. Through 5 games it is clear the DL cannot consistently stop the run or get pressure on the opponents QB. At the WR position, we just don't have speed, which impacts our QB play and why we have only one TD pass so far. Additionally, our coaching staff is learning to work together and learning how to rebuild the program.

Now UH is not alone. Conference teams Nevada, Colorado State, and Utah St were also hit hard by the transfer portal and many of there fans also see a very hard climb back up. What makes it even more frustrating is you see schools like BYU and Houston moving up to the Big 12, when we just beat them in 2019 and 2020, or schools like UNLV and SJST investing in there programs, which are clearly now better then UH.

So can UH get better. Time will tell if coach TC and his staff can develop a winning system and recruit and retain talent that fits there system. The transfer portal opens up opportunities and dangers to the program, and NIL deals makes it even harder to recruit talent. I will keep cheering and watching games and being a Nakoa member. But I would be lying if I said I believe the turnaround to being a 9-10 win team again will happen fast. I am just hoping we can win 7 games by TC 3rd year. That would show the program is moving in the right direction, and fans can have hope. If not, fans will demand change.

SundayJam
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by SundayJam »

(edit) Okay...maybe my observations were a bit grim. I'll continue to hope the local legend grows into the rather large shoes.
Last edited by SundayJam on Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

The last game was a L. But everything looks promising to me. Not implying UH will be undefeated rest of the season, but IMO, things are looking good.

I'll admit, the first few games looked sad. Worse than Chow Ball. The last game is perhaps, we hope, is an indication of where things are at. And that is "improving."

At the end of the day, it's W vs L. And no one is going to remember that "could have won" that type of games.

If they continue to improve, and lose the game by less than 10 points, that's not grim. T-Chang could be in the hot seat, but I think Hawaii fans will give some latitude and time to turn it around, because he is T-Chang.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

I like that Chang has finally picked a number one starting quarterback. I like that Schager now feels that he needs to be a leader. I am glad that Schager is studying defenses with Chang and Shoemaker. This is where I think he needs grow the most. Got see to get the pre snap and more importantly the snap reads which hopefully will come in time. Really difficult to do without enough playing time in the R&S. It is not a new offense. Defenses will disguise what we do to try and confuse our quarterback. The triggerman is the most important player on our offense.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: