Does Icing the Kicker Really Work?

Share your news and views about University of Hawaii Warrior Football
BigWave96744

Does Icing the Kicker Really Work?

Post by BigWave96744 »

I would really like to see if some stats have been kept to proved that calling a timeout prior to a FG really alters the 2nd kick.

Nevada HC Chris Ault tried to Ice the Iceman and it failed.
It failed again last night.
I've also seen it backfire in a few other games (not UH).

How you figgah?

Walkoff Balk
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: Does Icing the Kicker Really Work?

Post by Walkoff Balk »

In the Pros? No
In College? Chance um

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

In basketball you see coaches calling a timeout to ice the free-throw shooter, especially when the game is on the line. Same principal applies at trying to ice the FG kicker. Coaches try anything to break the FG kickers ( or free throw shooters)concentration. Sometimes it works. Sometimes I've seen coaches burn consecutive time outs in trying to ice the kicker. With the UH-SDST game on the line, 7 seconds left in the game, I much rather see the coach utilize the timeouts here instead of saving the timeout for what purpose?

travo66
Starter
Starter
MLB: None
NBA: Lakers

Post by travo66 »

At this point, don't kickers EXPECT the other team to call a timeout before their kick? Mess with their head even more and DON'T call the timeout. Would've worked last night :P
Bored in the offseason? Join Goal Line Blitz!

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

travo66 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:24 pm At this point, don't kickers EXPECT the other team to call a timeout before their kick? Mess with their head even more and DON'T call the timeout. Would've worked last night :P
I see the logic here, too.

ubercow
Site Admin
Site Admin
MLB: KC
NBA: NYK, PHI, LAL, SAS

Post by ubercow »

BigWave96744 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:31 pm I would really like to see if some stats have been kept to proved that calling a timeout prior to a FG really alters the 2nd kick.
old article that uses over 10 years of data says yes
https://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/pos ... answered-2

google 'icing the kicker stats' and most of the responses that show their work say yes

sarvicdar
Starter
Starter

Post by sarvicdar »

Also a timeout puts ice (or attempts to disrupt the focus)on the snapper and holder. Since it was a first down and SDST had two timeouts with 7 seconds remaining in the game SDST had a safety net * if the snap is errant (A)or if the snap is bobbled (B) in that SDST can down the ball and call timeout quickly and retry the FG attempt.Before the play the special teams captain or HC can tell the ref if the scenario (A) or (B) occurs the team's downing the ball and calling timeout. There should be a few seconds remaining on the clock.

dakineguy
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by dakineguy »

LOL did it make any difference that he got a second chance at the kick? Who knows? Maybe he just smacked it sideways because it didn't count. I bet coach Chang is gonna think about that one a lot.
GO WARRIORS !!! PLAY HARD!!!!
Ohana Makou
ex-lounge lizard, ex-stair creature, ex-Jhaller

cabanalane
All-American
All-American

Post by cabanalane »

dakineguy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:27 am LOL did it make any difference that he got a second chance at the kick? Who knows? Maybe he just smacked it sideways because it didn't count. I bet coach Chang is gonna think about that one a lot.
That's what I was thinking too.

I like to see the stats on this too. IMO, I don't think it works because at the rush, ball is moving, hurry up offense, time running out. I don't think players have the time to set. And the kicker is rushed out there to kick.

With the extra time out, he can take a few deep breaths, pray, etc. And the extra time actually allows him to focus better IMO.

RedZone
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by RedZone »

sarvicdar wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:31 pm
travo66 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:24 pm At this point, don't kickers EXPECT the other team to call a timeout before their kick? Mess with their head even more and DON'T call the timeout. Would've worked last night :P
I see the logic here, too.
He actually missed his first attempt before the timeout.
Not doubting, not hating, not loving, just hoping because I am a fan.

🌴“WELCOME HOME COACH”🌴 :hello1: Go get’em Timmy :hello1: